2017 Softball Discussion, 2018 Look-Ahead

7 hours ago, wildling said:

I just rewatched it, didn't look like Draper (or Podany) called it so I'm not sure why you put the blame solely on Podany. Draper wasn't actually going to catch it before the collision either. It's a tough play in softball because you don't have much time to be sure you're going to catch it and call the ball. Plus Greenwood actually has an error (tough to do as an outfielder with softball scorers), while Podany doesn't, so I don't give your opinion much weight personally.

As Mikey said..it is the rule (written or not), that the CF controls anything in the gaps, unless they are called off. Draper WAS going to catch it. (you must have been watching it on a phone..lol). 

Thanks OlderWHiskey for your insight. I agree on most of it. But just to add my 2 cents worth.

As Meyers said, he thought they underachieved. But I believe most very good coaches think that, when they are used to high success. And to him, now, not getting to WS is not what he expects from his teams. 

1. He didnt get production out of the bottom of his lineup he kept trying to find success with. Only Rivera finally came in and seemed to add some punch and spark. But you can't have hitters .250 and below hitting 7-9.  

2. As Meyers said, he thought about going small ball to generate runners and offense, but he said he lacked speed and quickness, which is true, so against very good teams, we struggled to score more than 2-3 runs...not enough.

3. We didnt have power pitchers that could shut down the good teams. I think our pitchers felt they had to produce shutouts, when we kept getting into late innings with no runs or 1-2. a lot of pressure there.

I'm proud of them...and in no way as someone on here mistakenly spoke out...did Meyers fail, or this team falter at the end. We simply were good enough to get to the Supers...but no farther.

Looking forward to another fun season next year...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just rewatched it, didn't look like Draper (or Podany) called it so I'm not sure why you put the blame solely on Podany. Draper wasn't actually going to catch it before the collision either. It's a tough play in softball because you don't have much time to be sure you're going to catch it and call the ball. Plus Greenwood actually has an error (tough to do as an outfielder with softball scorers), while Podany doesn't, so I don't give your opinion much weight personally.

As Mikey said above, the ball was in Drapers glove when the collision happened.  Best I can remember its the only collision we had in the outfield all season on a ball that way.  Sure there's been some close ones and I may even be forgetting 1 or 2 that did happen, but its not like this was a pattern or a problem all season.   And YES, Draper would have made that catch without the collision.   I don't put the blame on Podany, but its common knowledge that the center fielder has priority on those and the left fielder is the backup should it drop.

Also, if you are going to judge Greenwood for having ONE error and use that as a measuring stick, then I don't give your opinion any weight at all. 

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's the 2017 class. The 2018 class signs in November of 2017.

Well, the Auburn website calls it "elite recruiting class for the 2018 season", so that's what I called it.  These girls will be here for fall practice in October 2017, and eligible to play in regular season  beginning February 2018.

11 minutes ago, wildling said:

Watch it in slomo, pause at 1:30:50, Draper has her glove closed and the ball is outside it, and then Podany hits her.

Watched it, and I still say Draper catches it without interference from Podany.  It didn't make any difference in the game, but it could have.

29 minutes ago, wildling said:

Watch it in slomo, pause at 1:30:50, Draper has her glove closed and the ball is outside it, and then Podany hits her.

You are correct, IMO. The ball hits the fingers of the glove,before the collision

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Well, the Auburn website calls it "elite recruiting class for the 2018 season", so that's what I called it.  These girls will be here for fall practice in October 2017, and eligible to play in regular season  beginning February 2018.

All that is correct but the year a class is defined by is the year they graduate High School, not the first year they play in college. That goes for every sport. These ladies just graduated or are about to graduate now., Thus the 2017 class. Think of it this way. The 2017 football season is in the same Academic year as the 2018 softball season. The Academic year basically is from August 2017-July 2018. All incoming student athletes for that academic year are apart of the 2017 high school or juco graduating class.

The whole point is moot anyway imo, the only way you really fault either player is if one of them called it [early enough] and the other didn't back off. I think if you could somehow remove either of the players from the picture the other would have caught it, but this is just a really tough situation. From the games I've watched [and what I can remember] the OF defense has been very good no matter who's in there. If I were to pick the best defensive LF I would go with Podany based on stats + my eye, but I don't have a high degree of confidence in that.

I do have a problem with ExpiredLiquor asserting that Podany is bad defensively based solely on this play.

4 minutes ago, wildling said:

I do have a problem with ExpiredLiquor asserting that Podany is bad defensively based solely on this play.

Season stats would agree with you. MoPo had a 1000 fielding % with no errors on the season.

1 hour ago, wildling said:

The whole point is moot anyway imo, the only way you really fault either player is if one of them called it [early enough] and the other didn't back off. I think if you could somehow remove either of the players from the picture the other would have caught it, but this is just a really tough situation. From the games I've watched [and what I can remember] the OF defense has been very good no matter who's in there. If I were to pick the best defensive LF I would go with Podany based on stats + my eye, but I don't have a high degree of confidence in that.

I definitely don't think Podany is bad defensively and certainly wouldn't use one play to make that judgement, but you used Greenwoods one error to basically say the same about her.   Pot meet kettle.   Neither are bad defensively.

On May 27, 2017 at 2:31 PM, TigerTennis80 said:

I'd be glad to hear some comments from those who know about our recruiting class. I know how highly ranked it is. Seems to me that we need hitters, a LF, hitters, a 3rd baseman, SS, hitters, 2nd baseman, & hitters. So, I'd love to hear someone's take on how the class might meet our needs. I'd also like to hear what some of you might think about the development of our young players. Is Greenwood  capable of being a solid contributor? Perry? Crocker? Those are the freshman who played the most besides Rivera. At times they looked overmatched. Is that just being freshman, or is that not good news? Thanks for sharing insights.

I think SS, LF, and 2B could all be answered in this class. Taylon Snow probably steps in at SS from day one. Livy Schiele might do the same in LF. And I think Makenna Dowell will figure into the 2B competition as a true freshman. We also have a couple of strong pitchers in this class, although I'd be surprised if either makes a huge impact in year one with Martin and Carlson returning. 

As for the development of some of the current freshman, I think Crocker can contribute next year, although I don't think she needs to continue to slap. From what I've read and heard about Perry, she still has some work ahead to get into the playing rotation. 

I'll be interested to see if we land any transfers in the offseason. We got Snow last year, Carlson the year before, Fagan transferred here. I figure we will get one. Hopefully, it's a strong hitter or a good LHP.

My guess on the lineup to start next season:

Wallace C

Tannon Snow 1B

McCrackin 2B (to start the season) but I think Dowell could end up starting here.

Veach 3B

Taylon Snow SS

Schiele LF

Draper CF

Rivera RF

Shea/McCrackin/Crocker DP

43 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I think SS, LF, and 2B could all be answered in this class. Taylon Snow probably steps in at SS from day one. Livy Schiele might do the same in LF. And I think Makenna Dowell will figure into the 2B competition as a true freshman.

Going off the above this is what Coach Woodard said at SS & 2B. Sounds like Dowell may be a defensive upgrade if she were to win the job at 2nd.

Woodard: “Taylon and Makenna may be the best middle infielders defensively in the country. Both of them have tremendous range and are very versatile players. Both have above-average foot speed and both are left handed hitters. Mackenzie was named the MVP of this last year’s Alabama State Tournament after leading her team to the title. She can play all three infield spots and has been one of the best hitters in Alabama for the last three years.”

Also Coach Myers said earlier in the year this is the 1st class where he didn't have to take any walk on players.

Post game interview below of Carlson, Coop, & Clint. Clint looks back & forward starting around the 5 minute mark. He says 3 to 5 freshmen could be playing next year & expects them to improve the offense.

4 hours ago, wildling said:

I didn't say that Podany is bad defensively, nor do I think that.  I merely made a subjective judgment and stated that I thought Greenwood was our best fielder in left.  It was obviously open for discussion.  I am not an enemy of Podany; I hope she hits .450 with 15 triples next year.  And liquor doesn't expire.  

This team had a lot of distractions and drama to contend with this season. Maybe next year will be calmer on and off the field.

6 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Wildling ... are you related to podany?

Nope, just baffled that literally no one was calling for her to play more.

6 hours ago, wildling said:

She's a good player. So are the others trying for the position. I don't see enough difference between the LF candidates for a fan to really have an opinion. The coaching staff works with these players every day, they can tell minor differences. We fans cannot.

Supposedly, she's a very good hitter at practice and one of the best outfield defenders we have. The hitting just hasn't translated to games yet. 

8 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Supposedly, she's a very good hitter at practice and one of the best outfield defenders we have. The hitting just hasn't translated to games yet. 

You listen/read to JGT as well?

FWIW JGT predicts Livy & Dowell to win the jobs at LF & 2nd respectively as freshman, along with Taylon at Short.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:27 PM, ellitor said:

They were young last year & had almost everybody back. No matter the grade level, the contributors on the OU team are anything but young at this point in terms of softball played.

so we lost to a younger team last year? as to your second point...shouldn't that apply to our team also...I'm a CM backer but the players continually shot themselves in the foot and showed poor development... personnel changes must be blowing in...

Archived