NCAA Baseball Tournament

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Which is why today's game is so important....and why we should not be pulling punches with our pitcher selection.  

Yup. 82% of teams who started 2-0 in regionals have advanced to Supers historically speaking.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Glad to see Mize starting. It's one game at a time. If we play pitchers as if we have something to gain beyond this next game, the entire team may take the same attitude. I hope we beat TN Tech by a boat load, but we cannot take them lightly.

Rookie question, what is going to take to win the regional if we beat TTU tomorrow?

Another thing to consider is the message you send to your team and your opponent if you start someone other than Mize. To your team, it could be seen as you aren't taking this team as seriously as others later in the regional. To the opponent, since they know Mize is one of our studs, not throwing him could be seen as a slight and motivation for a good hitting ball club. No reason to give them any added motivation or to potentially send the wrong message to your club. 

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yup. 82% of teams who started 2-0 in regionals have advanced to Supers historically speaking.

Indeed, and 18% didn't. That's why your scouting evaluation of the teams is so important. We are in the position of having to win a minimum of three games with two hoss pitchers. When to use the second hoss depends on the scouting evaluations, plus watching today's noon game and seeing who wins that and how they win it is a big factor. When in doubt, pull out the stops to win the second game. However, there are times and situations when you are certain that you'll have a great chance win with the rest of the staff and the following day's opponent is much stronger. Then you save the hoss and hopefully win with the others.

There's a lot more that goes into this decision than just a simple numbers game. If the scouting isn't available to you, then play the numbers game. If the scouting is good, then use your brain. The two answers may or not be the same.

12 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

He struggled some in the 7th and I thought he might be done for the night. But he worked through it and did a really solid job for USA.

I think Calvi put him back out there in the 8th on a very short leash probably expecting to pull him, but he was back on track in 8th & 9th. Nothing fancy all game long, just got guys out.

8 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Do we know who Auburn plays next and what time does it start?

?, I'm going out on a limb and say AUburn will play Tennessee Tech at about 6:00pm Central Standard Time today. 

9 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Do we know who Auburn plays next and what time does it start?

Tennessee Tech at 6pm on WatchESPN. 

1 hour ago, boisnumber1 said:

I think Calvi put him back out there in the 8th on a very short leash probably expecting to pull him, but he was back on track in 8th & 9th. Nothing fancy all game long, just got guys out.

I enjoyed watching him.....especially in the 9th when his pitch count was so high but he was still just doing his job. 

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FSU-UCF elimination game starting now on ESPN 2. UCF designated home team.

UCF's starter today is 5-3 with a respectable 2.43 ERA. FSU's is 9-2, also with 2.43 ERA. Should be a good'un.

52 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

It looks like I'll have a conflict with Auburn and the Preds playing simultaneously

I'll be at my two middle children's dance recital. Know my pain. 

The real Seminoles showed up today I'm afraid....

PS....FSU and another Florida team playing.....where are the fans?   

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

PS....FSU and another Florida team playing.....where are the fans?   

Same place they were for FSU's game last night...MIA

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Same place they were for FSU's game last night...MIA

Wow. FSU fans are really dumb if they think the school is located in Miami. 

19 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Wow. FSU fans are really dumb if they think the school is located in Miami. 

This deserves 10 likes...And I wouldn't put it past them.

Tom-Cruise-crazy-laugh.gif

tenor.gif

Looks like the entire day may be rained out in Hattiesburg where Miss St, USA, & USM are located.

Davidson in regional final as #4

Vandy is slamming Clemson who should not have been hosting...7-0.

That guy who airmailed the trees in Tallahassee was just one of at least a dozen similar shots today.

Been watching regional play from all over the nation and am amazed at the moonshot home runs that guys are hitting....and wondering..where do those guys come from and how come we can't seem to recruit any of them?  

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That guy who airmailed the trees in Tallahassee was just one of at least a dozen similar shots today.

Been watching regional play from all over the nation and am amazed at the moonshot home runs that guys are hitting....and wondering..where do those guys come from and how come we can't seem to recruit any of them?  

It's supposedly a power revolution that we missed most of the year.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

It's supposedly a power revolution that we missed most of the year.

definitely....and is anyone wondering about our strength training program ?  

Man...something is going on out there and we have totally missed out on it.   A guy the size of DRob with 5 HRs for example? 

And as I'm writing this and listening to TAMU and Iowa in the background... a guy from the Hawkeyes just hit HR #28 for the year to take over the national lead. .

Archived