#37 RHP Tanner Burns (Signee)
#107 C/OF Steven Williams (Signee)
#139 RHP Keegan Thompson
#194 LHP Evan Steele (Signee)
#200 Ricardo De La Torre (commit)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pretty ignorant to baseball signing and recruiting.   When do players sign?  I see two signees and one commit.   I assume the commit is a junior.  And am I right, signees can still bypass college and go pro this summer?  

If correct, seems like the baseball coach is always cobbling together a class after the baseball draft?   That seems pretty sucky.  

24 minutes ago, Beaker said:

When do players sign?

November and then April  through til when they go to college.

25 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I see two signees and one commit.  

There are 3 signees & 1 commit on the Top 200 list as stated in the OP. Evan Steele has signed with AU. See the pinned 2017 recruiting thread.

27 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I assume the commit is a junior.

No. De La Torre is a SR & is a part of the 2017 recruiting class. High School JRs are not draft eligible & would not be on a prospect list for this year's draft that happens in 2 weeks.

29 minutes ago, Beaker said:

And am I right, signees can still bypass college and go pro this summer?  

Correct.

30 minutes ago, Beaker said:

If correct, seems like the baseball coach is always cobbling together a class after the baseball draft?

Not usually. Most are just stuck with the losses because most available prospects have signed with a school by the time some signees for a school decides to go pro.

Players can sign in November. De la torre is puerto rican so the rules for him are slightly more lax when it comes to getting drafted. Williams is biggest ?, hes right on the cusp of goong pro vs going college. 

Quick Rules for US HS players are this: 

if a kid signs with a 4-year and doesnt elect to sign with his drafting organization he must be there 3 years. 

If a kid signs with a juco he can be drafted at anytime in his collegiate career

8 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

if a kid signs with a 4-year and doesnt elect to sign with his drafting organization he must be there 3 years. 

Unless he turns 21 before his Jr. Year. He then can leave after his Soph year. Davis Daniel is in this boat.

Players at four-year colleges and universities are eligible three years after first enrolling in such an institution, or after their 21st birthdays (whichever occurs first).

Link Under Procedures & Rules.

On 5/30/2017 at 1:57 PM, Auhud08 said:

Players can sign in November. De la torre is puerto rican so the rules for him are slightly more lax when it comes to getting drafted. Williams is biggest ?, hes right on the cusp of goong pro vs going college. 

Quick Rules for US HS players are this: 

If a kid signs with a juco he can be drafted at anytime in his collegiate career

So a guy like Todd could be drafted after this year?  Guess I was wondering that once a kid goes Juco , and then goes Div I, he is still eligible for the draft after only 1 season?   Going juco seems to give the guys much more flexibility in that regard than immediately signing with a 4 year school?

45 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So a guy like Todd could be drafted after this year?  Guess I was wondering that once a kid goes Juco , and then goes Div I, he is still eligible for the draft after only 1 season?   Going juco seems to give the guys much more flexibility in that regard than immediately signing with a 4 year school?

After a player graduates Juco he can be drafted at any point. On Todd I could be wrong but I don't think he will be drafted high enough to choose to leave.

44 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Going juco seems to give the guys much more flexibility in that regard than immediately signing with a 4 year school?

At the same time, getting a quality education hopefully holds an important place for these kids, because many more get drafted, chewed up, and spit out by the farm leagues than actually make it to the big show and the subsequent paychecks. Until a player reaches AA, they would make more money at a full time job that pays $10/hour, and at least 50% of those drafted usually don't make it to AA... so going Juco and taking an early offer to go pro is much more of a crap shoot than you see in other sports. 

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

After a player graduates Juco he can be drafted at any point. On Todd I could be wrong but I don't think he will be drafted high enough to choose to leave.

Flip side is Todd probably showed the pros all he can at the college level.  He won't get bigger.  Only thing coming back can show is consistency.

i, for one, hope like heck he comes back.  He, Jarvis, Anthony and Estes seem like the kind of guys that can be significant club house leaders

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

At the same time, getting a quality education hopefully holds an important place for these kids, because many more get drafted, chewed up, and spit out by the farm leagues than actually make it to the big show and the subsequent paychecks. Until a player reaches AA, they would make more money at a full time job that pays $10/hour, and at least 50% of those drafted usually don't make it to AA... so going Juco and taking an early offer to go pro is much more of a crap shoot than you see in other sports. 

That might explain what I have noticed on some High A rosters. The Myrtle Beach team was affiliated with the Rangers for a couple years and well over half of the players were from the Caribbean it seems. I guess it is cheaper to bring those guys in at  "minimum wage" and sort them out . Some years prior to that, the Braves provided the players and there were more former college players or high school players from the Southeast. 

Just to play devils advocate here ... the assumption is keegan is gone.  Mid 100's.  Ok money I assume.  

BUT ... if he came back and put together a full year without "arm fatigue" and pitched like he did Friday in most games - paired up with mize!  They could put themselves in position to be the talk of college baseball.  If those 2 guys could pitch every weekend like this last weekend then Thompson would surely see a significant paycheck increase a year from now.

1 minute ago, mustache eagle said:

Just to play devils advocate here ... the assumption is keegan is gone.  Mid 100's.  Ok money I assume.  

BUT ... if he came back and put together a full year without "arm fatigue" and pitched like he did Friday in most games - paired up with mize!  They could put themselves in position to be the talk of college baseball.  If those 2 guys could pitch every weekend like this last weekend then Thompson would surely see a significant paycheck increase a year from now.

I am assuming that most of our baseball players have only partial scholarships. His there any rule against bumping up the scholarship that you give a guy like Thompson to help keep him another year? 

2 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

From the scouting report video on him on MLB.com I get the impression he will likely go higher in the draft than his prospect number of 135. It would be hard to turn down 3rd round money given he has already gone to & graduated from his dream school in AU.

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I am assuming that most of our baseball players have only partial scholarships. His there any rule against bumping up the scholarship that you give a guy like Thompson to help keep him another year? 

No the athletic scholly money does not have to be equal.  Also, the academic scholly money probably has founds its way to him if he meets the minimum requirements.

edit: I answered something you didn't ask!  They Can change his scholly amount.  He could get a full ride if cbt wanted to

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

No but with the new rules 27 players on a roster must have a minimum of 25% of a full ride. Also we don't know what Keegan's desire is to get a Master's degree or work on a 2nd major.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

From the scouting report video on him on MLB.com I get the impression he will likely go higher in the draft than his prospect number of 135. It would be hard to turn down 3rd round money given he has already gone to & graduated from his dream school in AU.

Didn't realize he graduated.  That makes a big difference unless he feels a consistent college year will make a significant jump on the draft board.  Obviously a calculated risk

On 6/6/2017 at 3:05 PM, mustache eagle said:

Also, the academic scholly money probably has founds its way to him if he meets the minimum requirements.

This is where AU & Bama fall behind the rest of the SEC. We have 11.7 schollies to divy up while the rest have lottery funds & hope scholarships that can be & often times is.used to give baseball players more scholly money.

Yes I agree with you there but the academic scholarships (at least for incoming freshmen) have minimum requirements.  If he meets those then he is probably more likely to get academic money (and more of it) as a varsity athlete

4 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Yes I agree with you there but the academic scholarships (at least for incoming freshmen) have minimum requirements.  If he meets those then he is probably more likely to get academic money (and more of it) as a varsity athlete

Auburn gives out quite a bit of money in the way of academic scholarships and in many cases, the grade requirements are reasonable and in addition to need there are other factors. I'm guessing that most of our baseball players get money in addition to their athletic scholarships.

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Auburn gives out quite a bit of money in the way of academic scholarships and in many cases, the grade requirements are reasonable and in addition to need there are other factors. I'm guessing that most of our baseball players get money in addition to their athletic scholarships.

Actually AU's grade requirements have gone way up as far as giving out schollies & there's not that many schollies going around compared to other schools in the South. Reality is most AU players don't get extra scholly funds besides what's allowed by NCAA rules.

4 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

One thing Keegan has right now as a Junior is leverage. If the team drafting him tries to low ball him, he can threaten to come back to school for his senior season. After that senior year, he loses eligibility and that leverage. Usually that equates to less money unless he significantly improves his stock. IMO Keegan would have to have a unbelievable senior year and get into the first round to outdo what he's probably going to be able to negotiate in this year's draft. It's possible he comes back because he believes Butch can make him a first rounder, but that's a big risk that I doubt he takes. Even as a third rounder, he can probably get really good money this year. 

Fyi first 10 rounds of baseball draft are considered high draft. So Keegan is gone. Hes gotta take the money. Tanner is gone, williams is a toss up, de la torre might be gone bc hes from PR. I think Steele sticks. 

I wish we had an idea of who we signed in the late session. That would give us an idea of who we expect to lose to the draft IMO. Anybody have any names?

Apparently, teams don't like to publicize those signees in case those players aren't on draft radars. They don't want to give scouts any assistance on finding possible hidden gems. 

Archived