ellitor

AU players, signees, commits on Top 200 draft prospect list

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Jonah todd pick 6th round, 175. Angels

Happy for Jonah...but just high enough to perhaps be a difficult decision.

Hard to know if he would benefit from another year at AU but I'm hoping he stays...a talented guy who is fun to watch in the outfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Hope J-Todd sticks around Auburn but the dude went from hoping to stick around and play baseball in college to a 6th round MLB draft pick in one year. Could see him improving in college but that's quite a deal sitting in front of him. 

 

Edited by tigerbrotha12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears Tanner's reached the "difficult to sign" part of the rounds which is good for AU.  Extremely good chance he comes to reside in Plainsman Park for the next three years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keegan is gone with his draft selection as is Steele. What are the odds of De La Torre sticking with Auburn. I think being from Puerto Rico he will probably take the money and go to the majors. I think Jonah Todd is on the cusp could go either way.  I think we have come out of this draft better than expected. With the talent we have returning and almost all of the players in the incoming class with the exception of Steele and De la Torre looking like we will see them next year we have the chance to move up a good bit next year as we have added some really good pitchers and hitters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess would be burns let it be known that he was going the college route.  To be projected #37 and then not pop up in the first 200?

only reason a club would take him now is to secure his rights, in the off chance something changes later with college.

selfishly this is good for auburn.

todd - I'd assume he'd take the money.  I can't imagine he could improve his stock significantly after this season.  He won't get any taller.  (Selfishly, I'd like for him to come back and cut the "1" off that 175 draft position.

Edited by mustache eagle
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

War Eagle for Burns and Williams. I hope their draft stock improves to number 1 & 2. 

And War eagle for burns and todd as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AU64 said:

 

Spending a year or more with BT helping develop his pitching skills would not be a bad deal for him. 

It'll have to be three years, but that's ok too. (Once enrolled in a four-year college, a player can't be drafted until his high school class has been graduated for three years.) It's not like a college athlete is lacking in opportunities for a fun and rewarding life so for many, three years of college is the best route.

Caveat, for when ellitor chimes in: Said player can leave his college, go to a JUCO and get drafted sooner. It doesn't make much sense for one to do that but it's a possibility and just the sort of nit-pick that goes on a lot around here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It'll have to be three years, but that's ok too. (Once enrolled in a four-year college, a player can't be drafted until his high school class has been graduated for three years.) It's not like a college athlete is lacking in opportunities for a fun and rewarding life so for many, three years of college is the best route.

Caveat, for when ellitor chimes in: Said player can leave his college, go to a JUCO and get drafted sooner. It doesn't make much sense for one to do that but it's a possibility and just the sort of nit-pick that goes on a lot around here.

 Okay, thanks..... so might as well enjoy being a college student and get to play a sport that you enjoy and wait on the next available baseball draft.    And these days you don't have to worry about that other draft notice from Uncle Sam. 😏

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super stoked Tanner will be at AU, he's gonna slot nicely in to the rotation and jack some HR's  as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Super stoked Tanner will be at AU, he's gonna slot nicely in to the rotation and jack some HR's  as well

Hope he is the beginning of a power surge at AU next season,

I was envious watching all those big guys in the Regionals as they hit towering HRs....not just balls to the first row of seats...but hits across the roads and over score boards....400+ fee regularly.    Those guys were solid...made me wonder if our players do serious weight training.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure our guys do serious weight training once they arrive. What I like about this signing class is the majority seem to have the frames to add weight and power once they arrive at Auburn.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am sure our guys do serious weight training once they arrive. What I like about this signing class is the majority seem to have the frames to add weight and power once they arrive at Auburn.

No doubt. Williams, Burns, and Greenhill are all 200+ lbs and had good power numbers in HS. I love the idea of bringing in the two-way guys. The flexibility we will have next year should be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boomstick said:

No doubt. Williams, Burns, and Greenhill are all 200+ lbs and had good power numbers in HS. I love the idea of bringing in the two-way guys. The flexibility we will have next year should be great.

I was just wondering....we have several guys over 6 feet and over 200 this season...Robert, Ingram, Davis, and then there was Anthony who came as a HR hitter and did not seem to carry through.   But..in looking at the roster, most of our big guys were on the mound .....and no so many as everyday players.   Hoping to see that change next season....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daniel Robert taken by the Texas Rangers in the 21st round.  As a pitcher which is what I suspected would happen.  With so few innings on his arm, he just might surprise some folks. Also has that big, durable body (and really understands the strike zone from a hitter's perspective, lol) ...now he's just got to build some arm conditioning.  I'm hoping he kills it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2017 MLB Draft has come to an end and Josh Anthony went undrafted...... crazy what a year can do to a player, but I will say that I think this is big news for Auburn. Anthony's great glove will be back as Auburn's starting third baseman and will have something to prove at the plate. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

2017 MLB Draft has come to an end and Josh Anthony went undrafted...... crazy what a year can do to a player, but I will say that I think this is big news for Auburn. Anthony's great glove will be back as Auburn's starting third baseman and will have something to prove at the plate. 

Hopefully he can get his HR numbers up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Golf blackmailed some GMs into not drafting our guys. Great job Golf!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I think Golf blackmailed some GMs into not drafting our guys. Great job Golf!

I wouldn't use the word blackmail but maybe make a suggestion. All kidding aside wish I could take credit for it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming Luke can get healthy we will have all conference ability at every spot on the infield.  Nonemaker coaching up the guys in the outfield and if the Williams kid can do what we think he can then I'm pretty sure we will like what we see in '18. Davis Daniel with a year's worth of confidence under his belt...and if  Daniel Sprinkle can find his groove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't think this draft could've gone any better for the program. Now we have a great mix of experience and youth and plenty of depth at a bunch of positions and on the pitching staff. Adding some two-way guys, several power bats, a bunch of pitching (including some LHP), and bringing back a good core from this past season, I'm pretty excited about next year.

I imagine we will see some attrition between now and the spring. If the roster stays as is with the signees expected to come and Mitchell and Anthony returning, we currently have 36 players. Guessing that number gets down to 30-32. 

Way too early projection for starting lineup:

C Steven Williams

1B Brendan Venter

2B Luke Jarvis

3B Josh Anthony

SS Will Holland

LF ???? (Platoon, maybe C Davis, McGuffin, Ward, Johnson)

CF Jeremey Johnson or Case Evans

RF Jay Estes

DH Ingram

Starting weekend rotation Mize/Daniel/Burns

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now