AU players, signees, commits on Top 200 draft prospect list

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

thanks for posting that...interesting but baseball at all levels in the state is not very impressive in my view..

Agree, theres a lot more going on in baseball outside of Alabama. Changes to the way people coach, etc. overall development of players is low here in AL

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

Draft is tonight! 

Baseball America with a state of Alabama preview. 

Burns is high...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2017-state-draft-report-alabama/?amphtml=1

There seems to be a lot of confidence that Burns comes to Auburn. Indecision about how he will be used and where he will play seem to be the driving factors. I believe Butch wants him as primarily a starting pitcher, which I think is what Burns wants as well, but he's not projected as that by some MLB teams. Plus, his size isn't considered ideal for a HS prospect. 

34 minutes ago, boomstick said:

There seems to be a lot of confidence that Burns comes to Auburn. Indecision about how he will be used and where he will play seem to be the driving factors. I believe Butch wants him as primarily a starting pitcher, which I think is what Burns wants as well, but he's not projected as that by some MLB teams. Plus, his size isn't considered ideal for a HS prospect. 

Interesting .....sometimes we see that a guy who has his heart set on playing a certain position who will make an unexpected move in order to make it happen...like turn down a good offer somewhere...and go elsewhere to fulfill his dream.    Aside from the immediate impact of a bonus, taking a good scholarship and doing what he wants might not be a bad decision.  Guess that could depend on family circumstances...

Totally awesome, Clarke Schmidt who was South Carolina's Friday starter and blew out his elbow towards the end of the season was taken 16th overall by the Yankees.  Two spots ahead of Florida's Faedo (who got talked about so much on all the SEC broadcasts you would have thought he was the second coming of Cy Young).  Schmidt's a great kid, hope he does really well in the bigs.  Six of the fourteen college players taken so far in the first round from the SEC..

21 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Totally awesome, Clarke Schmidt who was South Carolina's Friday starter and blew out his elbow towards the end of the season was taken 16th overall by the Yankees.  Two spots ahead of Florida's Faedo (who got talked about so much on all the SEC broadcasts you would have thought he was the second coming of Cy Young).  Schmidt's a great kid, hope he does really well in the bigs.  Six of the fourteen college players taken so far in the first round from the SEC..

I know he has the injury, but he was the best pitcher I saw all year. Several other guys got a lot of talk (and he probably would've been in that conversation without the injury), but he was downright filthy before his injury. 

Well, AU loses its first signee of the night.  LHP Evan Steele in the 2.5 round, to the Royals.  Draft slot worth $780k

With Steele being a JUCO guy, I'd be really surprised if he comes to Auburn with that kind of money. Other than Steele, the draft has been good so far for Auburn's chances to hold onto the signing class. Need another good 2-3 rounds to feel really good. 

11 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

Draft is tonight! 

Baseball America with a state of Alabama preview. 

Burns is high...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2017-state-draft-report-alabama/?amphtml=1

BA didn't put much effort into the Alabama report. It list Josh as attending the West Okie JC and only list Klobo as an AU player of note. No mention of Cole, Blake, DRob, Mitchell, Coker etc. all I would take over Klobo. So far, we've come through pretty much unscathed for the '17-'18 class.  Didn't think Steele would make it to campus.  Would love too see Williams and Burns in AU Tiger unis next year. A lot of rounds left and some interesting picks that may have been "money" picks to use on future picks. 

7 hours ago, HitandRun5 said:

BA didn't put much effort into the Alabama report. It list Josh as attending the West Okie JC and only list Klobo as an AU player of note. No mention of Cole, Blake, DRob, Mitchell, Coker etc. all I would take over Klobo. So far, we've come through pretty much unscathed for the '17-'18 class.  Didn't think Steele would make it to campus.  Would love too see Williams and Burns in AU Tiger unis next year. A lot of rounds left and some interesting picks that may have been "money" picks to use on future picks. 

You could be right about how much effort they expended...but IMO, none of the AU players you mentioned have a future in professional baseball. 

Without detailing individual deficiencies...they can be summarized as lack of power, lack of speed (foot and arm), can't hit the curve and in general they are just average college baseball players.  Because of his size, Drob might be a project but a guy his size who plays so much smaller?   Hard to see it. A player who is 6-5 and 240....someone should have taught him to hit for power.   

And I  guess Klobo gets points for his 95mph fastball which at least gains him some attention...and maybe someone can teach him to throw strikes.  But as you note...he was not rated. 

Some of our guys can sign contracts after the dust from the draft settles but looks like our HS commitments are the guys who are biggest risk to leave for professional baseball.  Hoping they resist the temptation for the quick money.

8 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

Boom- you think Burns stays AU or is it still wait and see?

I think he comes to Auburn if he isn't taken in the 3rd or 4th round, and I think there's still a good chance he comes if he's taken in either of those rounds. From everything I've read, he really likes the idea of being a starting pitcher and Butch's track record with pitchers. I think that could really work in our favor.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

I think he comes to Auburn if he isn't taken in the 3rd or 4th round, and I think there's still a good chance he comes if he's taken in either of those rounds. From everything I've read, he really likes the idea of being a starting pitcher and Butch's track record with pitchers. I think that could really work in our favor.

hope so

Burns not going in top 2 rounds really cuts the signing bonus. His Dad went through the trials of minor league ball and didn't fair well. I believe he will want Tanner to get some education and the coaching up he will get from CBT will make Dad happy.

38 minutes ago, oldman said:

Burns not going in top 2 rounds really cuts the signing bonus. His Dad went through the trials of minor league ball and didn't fair well. I believe he will want Tanner to get some education and the coaching up he will get from CBT will make Dad happy.

According to people near Decatur (and I'm a second-hand source on this so I realize I carry little credibility), Tanner has a number in mind that's pretty much a hard cutoff.  I'm not sure of the exact slot value, but this person made it sound like 5th round money would do it.  Looking at the slot values for this year, that would run somewhere between 250k and 400k signing bonus, which should be no problem for him (his agent) to negotiate since he's a high school kid with the leverage of college eligibility.  They're also really confident this becomes a non-issue in about two hours when the draft resumes.  He's on a lot of "Best pitchers available" lists right now after Day 1, so unfortunately, I bet we see his name quickly off the board today.

50 minutes ago, oldman said:

Good points....and perhaps his ambivalence about where he would like to play has affected his draft status.  There some good solid kids out there with similar talent and I'm guessing that MLB teams would want to be sure they can get the guy before they spend a high level draft pick.

Spending a year or more with BT helping develop his pitching skills would not be a bad deal for him. 

1 minute ago, boomstick said:

Through 4 rounds, Steele is the only signee or commitment to be drafted. 

Yup, good draft for the Orange and Blue (the Auburn version, not the Detroit version)

Archived