SEC Hotseat chatter

Beaker

was there not a member or three that wanted sumlin as coach for our beloved tigers? i could care less which members it was but just a point being made here. be careful what ya wish for. oh and yes it was back when johhny football was playing but some did.

as for gus i would not be surprised to see him fired it he has another mediocre season. i think seven or maybe even eight gets him gone. anyone? oh and i am not anti gus i want him to win em all but i believe we should be in the position to win ten games a year most years.

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

was there not a member or three that wanted sumlin as coach for our beloved tigers? i could care less which members it was but just a point being made here. be careful what ya wish for. oh and yes it was back when johhny football was playing but some did.

as for gus i would not be surprised to see him fired it he has another mediocre season. i think seven or maybe even eight gets him gone. anyone? oh and i am not anti gus i want him to win em all but i believe we should be in the position to win ten games a year most years.

Who wouldn't wanted Kevin Sumlin during the Johnny football time? A lot of people wanted Gus too after 2013 .

If and when the NCAA hammers Ole Miss, Bammer or no other college team will even think about hiring Hugh.

good point dag.   and i heard ole miss might as well have gotten the death penalty as severe as it will be. freeze should already be gone

8 hours ago, Tiger said:

I hope TAMU wins 9 games this coming year with one of his 3 losses to us. I think that'll be just enough to keep Sumlin employed at TAMU. I don't want them making a move for Chip Kelly after this year, which will be one of the 2 or 3 hottest HC candidates for openings next year.

auburn won't hire chip so it really doesnt matter if or when TAMU hires him.

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, I wasn't specific enough w/ the 2nd part of my sentence:

As in, Dabo wouldn't win as much as saban at bama, but he would win more than he did at Clemson. Or at least field better teams. (However far the SEC may or may not have fallen since the late aughts-to-early 10s glory days, an SEC West schedule is likely still tougher than any other. Since 2009, saban's only regular season losses have been in division- to 4 different teams.)

Ahhh. Sorry, don't know how I read it differently. I agree completely. 

19 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, I wasn't specific enough w/ the 2nd part of my sentence:

As in, Dabo wouldn't win as much as saban at bama, but he would win more than he did at Clemson. Or at least field better teams. (However far the SEC may or may not have fallen since the late aughts-to-early 10s glory days, an SEC West schedule is likely still tougher than any other. Since 2009, saban's only regular season losses have been in division- to 4 different teams.)

Well, he has been to the NC Title game the past two years and won one of them. If he does better than that, Lord help us.

10 minutes ago, TheBeachTigger said:

Well, he has been to the NC Title game the past two years and won one of them. If he does better than that, Lord help us.

Very true, but saban has had bama playing at a 10-win level for almost 10 years, in a division that has seen 5 other teams in the top 5 nationally during that stretch and sent 3 other teams (counting individual seasons) to the national title game. He went to the SECCG in his 2nd year there and won it all in year 3. And he's done it all without ever having a Deshaun Watson. 

All that said, Swinney might make me recalibrate this season.

14 hours ago, damabama said:

auburn won't hire chip so it really doesnt matter if or when TAMU hires him.

I was actually coming from a place of not wanting to face the combination of him and TAMU's resources.

But if we end up firing Gus for whatever reason after this upcoming season I would like to think we take a long, hard look at Chip Kelly as he will be one of the better, if not best proven commodity's possibly looking for a new place to coach. It would be really silly of us not to consider him IMO

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I was actually coming from a place of not wanting to face the combination of him and TAMU's resources.

But if we end up firing Gus for whatever reason after this upcoming season I would like to think we take a long, hard look at Chip Kelly as he will be one of the better, if not best proven commodity's possibly looking for a new place to coach. It would be really silly of us not to consider him IMO

Don't know if Kelly's the guy, but I'm very scared of TAMU with a good coach. Even with Sumlin, they're no easy out. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Don't know if Kelly's the guy, but I'm very scared of TAMU with a good coach. Even with Sumlin, they're no easy out. 

Hopefully Texas will see a resurgence this year, which will provide a buffer with A&M by eating into their recruiting.

I agree we don't want Sumlin gone:

1. his most success was mostly because of Johnny Football.

2. TAMU has bama type money and they aren't afraid to spend it.

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

I agree we don't want Sumlin gone:

1. his most success was mostly because of Johnny Football.

2. TAMU has bama type money and they aren't afraid to spend it.

Maybe it's just naivety but I'd like to believe TAMU is more ethical than bammer.  I know "everybody does it" to one extent or the other but I don't picture their people selling their souls the way bammers are for football victories.

I would think Freeze has the hottest seat. as we speak or type, or read Freeze may be saying "Is it hot in here or is it me"? The NCAA taking it's time isn't doing him any favors.:nopityA:

On 5/31/2017 at 5:41 PM, auburn4ever said:

If and when the NCAA hammers Ole Miss, Bammer or no other college team will even think about hiring Hugh.

I'll take that bet in a heart beat.  If Freeze is shown the door at Ole Miss, somebody will hire him. Maybe not immediately after his dismissal, but within 3 years, he will be coaching again somewhere.

On 6/5/2017 at 8:58 PM, WarTiger said:

I'll take that bet in a heart beat.  If Freeze is shown the door at Ole Miss, somebody will hire him. Maybe not immediately after his dismissal, but within 3 years, he will be coaching again somewhere.

Agree...don't think there has ever been a successful coach....no matter how bad his NCAA problems .....who did not find another job in a few years after the heat died down. There is always a school out there trying to rebuild a sick program that will ignore the past if prospects for success look good enough.   A few flee to the NFL for a while but mostly they just move to a different area or conference.   Even Art Briles will end up coaching again.

If it get real bad Freeze may have a show cause put on him. Depends on the number of years. Donnie Tyndall has a 10 year show cause and no I'm not saying Freeze would get such a show cause but one never knows

13 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

If it get real bad Freeze may have a show cause put on him. Depends on the number of years. Donnie Tyndall has a 10 year show cause and no I'm not saying Freeze would get such a show cause but one never knows

True...but I'm wondering if the NCAA could defend a "show cause" in court.  Unless something is going on with coaching contracts that I don't know about, the coaches work for individual schools..not the NCAA.... and in my mind at least, the ability of the NCAA to prevent a person from working in his chosen field is really a big question. 

Some of our legal experts on here might address that.  But I'm wondering when the NCAA every filed a "show cause" against any other employee of any member university who was not a coach? 

JMO but this is an intimidation action that is legally questionable.  Might not have been worth while for Tyndall to fight it...but if I were Freeze and something like that happened, I'd look for a gunslinger lawyer and sue the pants off the NCAA...

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

True...but I'm wondering if the NCAA could defend a "show cause" in court.  Unless something is going on with coaching contracts that I don't know about, the coaches work for individual schools..not the NCAA.... and in my mind at least, the ability of the NCAA to prevent a person from working in his chosen field is really a big question. 

Some of our legal experts on here might address that.  But I'm wondering when the NCAA every filed a "show cause" against any other employee of any member university who was not a coach? 

JMO but this is an intimidation action that is legally questionable.  Might not have been worth while for Tyndall to fight it...but if I were Freeze and something like that happened, I'd look for a gunslinger lawyer and sue the pants off the NCAA...

It's hard to fight a show cause.  It's basically a way of preventing more Lane Kiffins... the coaches who go into a school, drag it into the dirt, and then bail for greener pastures when the heat gets turned up. There have been many coaches with money and street cred who have had a show cause and not a single one fought it. Freeze will be no different.  His butt will be sitting at home waiting for it to go away... unless Saban hires him as an off field analyst.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

It's hard to fight a show cause.  It's basically a way of preventing more Lane Kiffins... the coaches who go into a school, drag it into the dirt, and then bail for greener pastures when the heat gets turned up. There have been many coaches with money and street cred who have had a show cause and not a single one fought it. Freeze will be no different.  His butt will be sitting at home waiting for it to go away... unless Saban hires him as an off field analyst.

Rather than Lane Kiffin , I think you might be referring to Pete Carroll and Chip Kelly who bailed on their schools when the heat came.  Lane was free to take any job he wanted , it was just that other schools eventually realized what they might be dealing with it ...though it did not stop Bama.

Many things that the NCAA got away with forever  have been challenged recently. Just saying that I believe a "show cause" will soon fall into that category. JMO.  :dunno:

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Rather than Lane Kiffin , I think you might be referring to Pete Carroll and Chip Kelly who bailed on their schools when the heat came.  Lane was free to take any job he wanted , it was just that other schools eventually realized what they might be dealing with it ...though it did not stop Bama.

Many things that the NCAA got away with forever  have been challenged recently. Just saying that I believe a "show cause" will soon fall into that category. JMO.  :dunno:

Carroll and Kelly are great examples of the behavior, but both jumped to the NFL where show cause means nothing.  Kiffin burned Tennessee to the ground and did some serious damage at USC before jumping to other NCAA coaching positions.

I would be VERY surprised if anyone ever challenged the show cause in court.  If a coach were to fight it, the school that is taking the financial hit from his actions would probably have a lot to say about it... and let's face it, the schools are members of the NCAA, not the coaches.

Archived