Jacobs (finally) Says AU Should be in the East

AU-24

MIRAMAR BEACH, Fla. | Jay Jacobs believes the time has come for Auburn to switch divisions in the Southeastern Conference.  

"For Mizzou to be in the West and Auburn to be in the East, it makes sense. We’re out there a little ways on football scheduling, so we’re not going to talk anything formally about it this weekend or this week — but at some point we will.”

Then there is this from the SEC Commissioner:  Jacobs' public stance apparently is news to commissioner Greg Sankey, who on Tuesday night joked that nobody ever has approached him in an official capacity about Auburn moving to the Eastern Division. Nothing on the meeting's agenda involves Auburn's divisional status.

So Jay goes public before he talks to the Commish?

Then there is this:  

Jacobs said Wednesday that he's spoken with Sankey directly about the divisional swap and that the commissioner has been told of the Tigers' opinion on the matter.

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/auburn-to-the-east-jacobs-says-it-s-more-than-a-pipe-dream

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't realize the SEC Commissioner went on to say this:

Yes, the move makes sense geographically, but Sankey said at spring meetings on Tuesday that Auburn fans hoping for the move shouldn’t hold their breath.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/sec-commissioner-greg-sankey-comments-auburn-potentially-moving-sec-east/?utm_source=SEC+FANS&utm_campaign=6bc3e5611f-RSS_TAMU_HF&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ec9195cc38-6bc3e5611f-339116697&mc_cid=6bc3e5611f&mc_eid=6c907e6e41

Good to know he thinks so highly of us.

From the article:

"Greg Sankey is essentially making fun of the Auburn to the SEC East discussion. Says it’s not talked about except int he media.

— Dan Wolken (@DanWolken) May 30, 2017"

and

"Sankey on the Auburn to the SEC East: "It's not on the agenda." Sankey is making fun of the entire discussion brought up by Pat Dye.

— Matthew Stevens (@matthewcstevens) May 30, 2017"

Can someone explain why that's "making fun of Auburn".  I'm not sure I see it.  Sankey only said that it wasn't on the agenda to discuss; what makes this "making fun of Auburn"?

3 minutes ago, Weagle99 said:

From the article:

"Greg Sankey is essentially making fun of the Auburn to the SEC East discussion. Says it’s not talked about except int he media.

— Dan Wolken (@DanWolken) May 30, 2017"

and

"Sankey on the Auburn to the SEC East: "It's not on the agenda." Sankey is making fun of the entire discussion brought up by Pat Dye.

— Matthew Stevens (@matthewcstevens) May 30, 2017"

Can someone explain why that's "making fun of Auburn".  I'm not sure I see it.  Sankey only said that it wasn't on the agenda to discuss; what makes this "making fun of Auburn"?

Dan Wolken is always a ass to Auburn. Nothing new here.

Wondering why JJ is so far behind the curve on this issue...,did it take Pat Dye's comment to get his attention?

Still don't think it's gonna happen any time soon but don't understand why AU has be reluctant to push the issue...

Haven't heard anything from Mizzou.  Seems they would benefit from reduced travel costs and gain adjacent state rivals.  If they got on board, then I think the move to the East would pick up steam. 

The only thing stopping this move is Alabama's desire to keep Auburn and Tennessee as annual rivals. If the SEC were to force Alabama to give up Tennessee and make Auburn the annual rival, the problem is solved. Easy peezy.

2 hours ago, WarNole said:

Haven't heard anything from Mizzou.  Seems they would benefit from reduced travel costs and gain adjacent state rivals.  If they got on board, then I think the move to the East would pick up steam. 

Missouri is too busy trying to rebuild their enrollment after the great student takeover to care about what side of the SEC they are on. They are just happy to be in the SEC at all.

2 hours ago, AFTiger said:

The only thing stopping this move is Alabama's desire to keep Auburn and Tennessee as annual rivals. If the SEC were to force Alabama to give up Tennessee and make Auburn the annual rival, the problem is solved. Easy peezy.

From what I've heard, Neither Georgia or Florida want us in the East either. While Georgia plays us, yearly, we don't have as much of an effect on their road to Atlanta while we are in the West, and Florida... well, their record against us should tell you everything you need to know about that.

2 hours ago, AFTiger said:

Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida do not want Auburn in the East - they made their wishes known to the previous commish years ago.  

Alabama/Tennessee won't be persuaded to give up their annual rivalry game.  Why would South Carolina agree to make their schedule tougher?  Why would Mizzou want to move West after they've already won their division twice since they've been in the SEC?

Really and truly, the media needs to get out in front of this and do some leg work.  They need to actually ask the AD's of every team in the conference how they feel about Auburn going East.  Then everyone would know how much pull Auburn has in this conference.

If Auburn had any chance to move to the east it was when we added Missouri from the beginning. Unless we add another team or two from the west, it ain't happening. Besides,  I like the west. All other conferences compare themselves to the SEC west. You've got to have on big boy pants to compete in th wild, wild west.!!

Looks like this switch is not going to happen anytime soon. Here's a thought, Auburn starts winning 10+ games a year, we stay put in the West and make life miserable for Bama, Saban and their fans as well as LSU. I'm tired of Auburn being considered the third best team in the West by everyone but us.

My thoughts on this:

The cross division permanent rivals made sense where there were existing rivalries (UAT-UTK, AU-GA). However, they made up permanent cross-division rivalries for other schools which did not necessarily make any sense.

It made it a bigger issue when the SEC expanded to 14 teams and one rotating cross-divisional game was lost.

I believe there is a case to be made that for those schools without permanent cross-division rivals to have two rotating cross-divisional games, and no permanent cross division rivalry games. I also think biennial rotating permanent cross-division rivalries should be considered. For example, if AU moved to the East, Bama could rotate TN and AU every other year. We could rotate Bama and LSU. LSU could rotate AU and UF. Just a thought.

Most of the opposition is short term thinking IMO.....never know which teams are going to be strong in years to come....but biggest problem is that every school is out for itself and no AD is going to vote for a change that has even the most minor negative impact on his or her school.

Something like this is a "campaign"...will take years to accomplish and by being silent so long on the matter, our argument has lost it's punch...and it will just be something for the media and AU to talk about...and nobody else in the SEC to take seriously since everyone in the East would "lose" in one way or the other if AU were to change sides.

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Most of the opposition is short term thinking IMO.....never know which teams are going to be strong in years to come....but biggest problem is that every school is out for itself and no AD is going to vote for a change that has even the most minor negative impact on his or her school.

Something like this is a "campaign"...will take years to accomplish and by being silent so long on the matter, our argument has lost it's punch...and it will just be something for the media and AU to talk about...and nobody else in the SEC to take seriously since everyone in the East would "lose" in one way or the other if AU were to change sides.

Agree with everything you stated; which is the reason the SEC has to make the decision on what makes the most sense. Of course, this is not going to happen.

Attorneys had to be retained, lawsuits had to be filed etc... just to get UAT, to play on the Plains.  This will take even more of a Herculean effort, and we don't have the A.D. to accomplish it. 

30 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

This will never happen and I wish people would stop thinking it will. 

Agree.  I also don't believe this some incredibly tragic wrong that needs to be righted.  Auburn in the west is perfectly fine.  The SEC West is the toughest division in college football and Auburn being there is one of those reasons.

Vandy, UK, SC, Mizzou, MsSt/Ole Miss (as a rotating opponent) plus 2 or 3 cupcakes? No thanks

At some point, I believe the SEC will move Auburn to the east and Missouri to the west. However, it's gonna take a good while for the SEC do redo the every conference schedule in order for AU & MO to be moved.

4 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Agree.  I also don't believe this some incredibly tragic wrong that needs to be righted.  Auburn in the west is perfectly fine.  The SEC West is the toughest division in college football and Auburn being there is one of those reasons.

Pat Dye, Tubberville, Gus and now even Jay Jacobs would disagree, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. 

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Pat Dye, Tubberville, Gus and now even Jay Jacobs would disagree, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. 

Pat Dye doesn't have a say in the matter, nor Tuberville. 

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Pat Dye doesn't have a say in the matter, nor Tuberville. 

My point that you have obviously missed: Everyone I mentioned, to include Coach Tubberville and Coach Dye have an opinion on the matter.  Feel free to disagree, but their opinion matters a little more than yours and mine.  You may also disagree with common sense geography, that is your opinion and your right, but I assure you, everyone has an opinion.

42 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

My point that you have obviously missed: Everyone I mentioned, to include Coach Tubberville and Coach Dye have an opinion on the matter.  Feel free to disagree, but their opinion matters a little more than yours and mine.  You may also disagree with common sense geography, that is your opinion and your right, but I assure you, everyone has an opinion.

Yeah the SEC commissioner really takes value in their opinion so much that he found it humorous. 

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

but their opinion matters a little more than yours and mine.

About Auburn moving to the east? Maybe matters more to sports writers, but not to the SEC commissioner nor the SEC AD's or presidents who would actually have to vote on it.

Archived