Jacobs (finally) Says AU Should be in the East

AU-24

It will take the SEC adding two additional teams before another realignment will happen. The current teams with pull in this conference (UAT, UF, UGA, LSU, & UT) do not want this to happen.  I personally only want this to happen if we go to 9 SEC games and keep UAT & LSU as permanent fixtures on our schedule. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

My point that you have obviously missed: Everyone I mentioned, to include Coach Tubberville and Coach Dye have an opinion on the matter.  Feel free to disagree, but their opinion matters a little more than yours and mine.  You may also disagree with common sense geography, that is your opinion and your right, but I assure you, everyone has an opinion.

Lol Pat Dye and Tuberville have no more say in the matter than we do. Their option means nothing more than our's. This whole "Auburn to the East" thing is stupid in every sense of the word. A lot of our fanbase has a victim complex about them and it's really sad. That's my opinion. 

P.S It's Tuberville, not Tubberville. I assure you. 

7 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Lol Pat Dye and Tuberville have no more say in the matter than we do. Their option means nothing more than our's. This whole "Auburn to the East" thing is stupid in every sense of the word. A lot of our fanbase has a victim complex about them and it's really sad. That's my opinion. 

P.S It's Tuberville, not Tubberville. I assure you. 

I assure you, our coaching staff and athletic department, don't have a victim complex, yet feel we should be in the East. Is it your opinion, you know more than them on this subject?

As Jr Miss South Carolina said: "I honestly feel allot of Americans don't have maps"

10 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

It will take the SEC adding two additional teams before another realignment will happen. The current teams with pull in this conference (UAT, UF, UGA, LSU, & UT) do not want this to happen.  I personally only want this to happen if we go to 9 SEC games and keep UAT & LSU as permanent fixtures on our schedule. 

Apparently both AU and UA are in favor of expanding the SEC schedule, and it would largely allow retention/rejuvenation of traditional in-conference rivalries, but teams with strong ties to out-of-conference rivals would likely disapprove.

I would just like to travel to Knoxville or Gainesville more than once a decade.  

Last game in Gainesville was 2007

last game at UT was 2009

Auburn at Clemson 2011, 2018 with neutral site game in 2012.

maybe Clemson could move to the SEC East and not have to worry about playing them for 10 more years.

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

last game at UT was 2009

Played in Knoxville on 11/9/2013, won 55-23

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

I assure you, our coaching staff and athletic department, don't have a victim complex, yet feel we should be in the East. Is it your opinion, you know more than them on this subject?

As Jr Miss South Carolina said: "I honestly feel allot of Americans don't have maps"

Funny, I didn't realize I included our coaching staff or athletic department when I said fanbase. Reading comprehension isn't your thing huh? 

1 minute ago, aufan57 said:

Played in Knoxville on 11/9/2013, won 55-23

That's right.  It was an 11am kickoff against a blah Tennessee team so I'm sticking to my 2009 date ?

if I were a mizzou fan I would dread a move to the west.  they are currently bottom feeders and moving to the west wont do them any favors trying to rebuild.  they'll never finish better than 5th.

Geographically, we belong in the East.  As long as we continued to play spuat every year I would be all for it.  This has nothing to do about being scared of being in the West.  

wde

When Saban eventually leaves Alabama the west will be wide open again.  I doubt the coach that replaces Saban will be able to keep up the year in year out domination like we've seen the past 10 years.  Auburn could very well become the front runner for the west at that point.  

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

When Saban eventually leaves Alabama the west will be wide open again.  I doubt the coach that replaces Saban will be able to keep up the year in year out domination like we've seen the past 10 years.  Auburn could very well become the front runner for the west at that point.  

Unless spuat can convince Dabo to take over for Saban (which is up to debate because I think Dabo enjoys being the HC at Clemson).

wde

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Wait, I thought the wish/dream for AU to move East was to renew our old rivals and had nothing to do with uat's/Saban's dominance in the West?

2 hours ago, KerryThachWDE said:

if I were a mizzou fan I would dread a move to the west.  they are currently bottom feeders and moving to the west wont do them any favors trying to rebuild.  they'll never finish better than 5th.

Seriously doubt the leaders of mizzou are thinking that way. If anything they are already getting a nice check for being bottom feeders and could save a lot more money with decreased travel. It ultimately will boil down to this for Mizzou.

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Wait, I thought the wish/dream for AU to move East was to renew our old rivals and had nothing to do with uat's/Saban's dominance in the West?

I'm just saying that Auburn could become the dominate team in the West in a couple years.  We have a youngish coach who recruits well. Dabo would be successful but not like Saban.  LSU and Tamu could be dominant with the right coach.  East or West doesn't matter with the ebbs and flows of the SEC.  I'd much rather travel to East schools like I mentioned earlier.  If you put every West school campus/town against their equivalent east school then the east wins 90% of the time.  Oxford and College station may be the exceptions 

Alabama v Florida - Florida

Auburn v Georgia - Athens

LSU v Tennessee - slight edge UT

Ole Miss - Missouri - OM

Tamu - USC - unknown

Ark- UK - Lexington

MSU - Vandy - Nashville

On 6/2/2017 at 4:48 PM, ClaytonAU said:

Funny, I didn't realize I included our coaching staff or athletic department when I said fanbase. Reading comprehension isn't your thing huh? 

I see, you do feel you know more than our AD and coaching staff. Best of luck to you.

On 6/2/2017 at 9:17 AM, Tiger said:

Screw it lets just move to the ACC

Gus will still go 8-5.

1.  Geographically it does make sense. 

2.  The big 6 are the big 6 (period). At this point there are 3 in the west and 3 in the east. Every team has ups and downs, it just so happens that the west has been WAY better than the east recently.  So looking at the level of competition over the course of the last decade is pretty irrelevant. 

3.  The talk of expanding to 4 16 team super-conferences will most likely start back up in a few years. If and when that happens there should be honest talk about where AU and every other team fits geographically, with rivalries, level of competition, etc. 

For example, if we added FSU and Clemson, AU should probably stay in the West. If we added Texas and Oklahoma, AU should definitely move to the East. (Not that either one of those scenarios would ever happen, just using them as an example). Or maybe the divisions change to north and south, or Avengers and Justice League, whatever. The point is that things will change at that time. 

This article really makes it sound more like AU whining about playing in the west than it trying to be a geographical thing.  If Mizzo isn't behind it then they should just drop it until we expand to 16 or pickup 9 conf games.  Neither of which is happening soon.

Will Missouri and Auburn eventually switch divisions?

I wouldn’t get my hopes up if I were a fan of either university.

Auburn has been actively campaigning for the move — most recently this off-season leading into the SEC’s Spring Meetings. Former head coach Pat Dye kicked things off, and AD Jay Jacobs, Gus Malzahn and even Bruce Pearl chimed in on the argument. Basically, it’s talking season without any football, and Auburn has realized the media will certainly talk about it.

Malzahn shared his thoughts earlier this year, expressing — along with everyone else — the geography of the move makes sense.

“You look at the map and obviously it makes sense,” Malzahn said. “There’s a lot more to it than just the map and all that.”

We’ve heard from the Auburn side, but Mizzou has been rather silent on the subject. AL.com’s John Talty recently caught up with Mizzou AD Jim Sterk about potential division realignment.

“I think we’re fine and like where we are at,” Sterk told AL.com. “There’s been no discussion within the conference and with the commissioner about anything different. Until that point, I’m not going to speculate. But I can say we like where we are at. We’ve got schedules out until 2020 in football, so it’s something that would take a lot.”

Of course Sterk and the Tigers like where they’re at. It’s the SEC East, and thus, they have a much better chance to win the weak(er) division. Should the Tigers head to the SEC West, it would be a much more brutal path to Atlanta. Remember, the Tigers won the SEC East in 2013 and 2014.

Sterk continued, “I don’t know all the reasons why but I think there’d have to be a lot of things that would have to happen for that even to be considered,” Sterk said. “Auburn and Alabama, they aren’t going to give up playing each other so how does that work?”

The realistic answer — and maybe the final answer — is that it won’t work. The SEC will preserve long-time rivalries as long as it possibly can until a much bigger shift, say conference expansion, were to happen.

On 6/2/2017 at 0:52 PM, Win4AU said:

Great points. As hard as it may be to believe, Auburn is 9-8 versus the tide this century, and pretty much dead even since Dye arrived. An easier path for AU greatness is to stop losing ridiculous games to UGA and teams from Mississippi and Arkansas. Do that and we will be a regular contender in the vaulted SEC West. 

2 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

This article really makes it sound more like AU whining about playing in the west than it trying to be a geographical thing.  If Mizzo isn't behind it then they should just drop it until we expand to 16 or pickup 9 conf games.  Neither of which is happening soon.

IMHO (hope I'm using this right), Mr. Sterk's position should be considered definitive.

Alas, but I wouldn't consider us whiners.

On 6/1/2017 at 9:58 PM, ClaytonAU said:

Pat Dye doesn't have a say in the matter, nor Tuberville. 

People at Auburn believe it will. Not in near future but I was told by a former AD it would be in his lifetime.

Archived