AU assistant hired as new Bama Baseball HC

16 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Well, the way we flailed away at curve balls this year, doesn't seem to be much of a loss.

He was a top recruiter in the nation.  Regardless of the slight that he went to Bama, this is a bad loss.

1 minute ago, SCTiger2011 said:

He was a top recruiter in the nation.  Regardless of the slight that he went to Bama, this is a bad loss.

I tend to look at things in reverse. If we had hired an assistant from UA to be our head coach, I would be upset, as probably most on this site. I imagine their fans are questioning this hire. As for recruiting, I am sure the next guy we get will be a good recruiter also.

This is a very odd hire. You would think that the turds would go after someone with a lot of HC experience. I guess all of the money they are paying Saban is putting them in a bind.

16 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

This is a very odd hire. You would think that the turds would go after someone with a lot of HC experience. I guess all of the money they are paying Saban is putting them in a bind.

Bama Baseball is on a down swing. I doubt many quality proven HCs would take the job.

28 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I tend to look at things in reverse. If we had hired an assistant from UA to be our head coach, I would be upset, as probably most on this site. I imagine their fans are questioning this hire. As for recruiting, I am sure the next guy we get will be a good recruiter also.

I would  if it looked to be a bad hire in theory. If the person looked to be a good hire it wouldn't bother me one bit that they came over from Bama.

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Well, the way we flailed away at curve balls this year, doesn't seem to be much of a loss.

We still hit better on the whole than expected.

Also one thing is for sure. If he turns Bama around recruiting in this state will become quite a bit tougher.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We still hit better on the hole than expected.

Also one thing is for sure. If he turns Bama around recruiting in this state will become quite a bit tougher.

Which hole E?

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Nice catch.

:laugh:

You meant the ear hole right?:cool:

7 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

You meant the ear hole right?:cool:

In Sprinkle's case yes...Just kidding Daniel.

One thing that I missed here was the timing of this announcement was poor form by Bama. The class thing to do was to wait til AU's season is done whenever that is before making an announcement. It's not like Bama was scrambling to get a coach right now. The only thing it serves by announcing now is serve as a potential distraction for the AU players during the regional.

1 minute ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

UAT expects him to hit the recruiting trail.. They want him to get started as soon as possible.

He can't til this weekend is over at the earliest. He is coaching with AU in Tallahassee right now.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

One thing that I missed here was the timing of this announcement was poor form by Bama. The class thing to do was to wait til AU's season is done whenever that is before making an announcement. It's not like Bama was scrambling to get a coach right now. The only thing it serves by announcing now is serve as a potential distraction for the AU players during the regional.

The timing of the announcement is pretty sh***y of Bohannon if you ask me. If I were Butch, I wouldnt be happy with it. Then again it could be bama doing it outside of Bohannon. That wouldnt be surprising either.

1 minute ago, boisnumber1 said:

The timing of the announcement is pretty sh***y of Bohannon if you ask me. If I were Butch, I wouldnt be happy with it. Then again it could be bama doing it outside of Bohannon. That wouldnt be surprising either.

Bama made the announcement. No clue if Bo OKed the timing or not.

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Not just Saban they are still paying the recently departed coach for 4 years.....

But you are right...firing the previous guy cold turkey and not getting an experience HC...strange move IMO....as we've seen a number of times, there is a big difference between HC experience and being an assistant somewhere.  But can't blame Bohannon for taking the job...except the timing of the announcement.

33 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not just Saban they are still paying the recently departed coach for 4 years.....

But you are right...firing the previous guy cold turkey and not getting an experience HC...strange move IMO....as we've seen a number of times, there is a big difference between HC experience and being an assistant somewhere.  But can't blame Bohannon for taking the job...except the timing of the announcement.

My guess is that they are hoping that they can build a team just through recruiting, like they are with football. You don't need a great in game coach if your talent eclipses everyone.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

My guess is that they are hoping that they can build a team just through recruiting, like they are with football. You don't need a great in game coach if your talent eclipses everyone.

I guess that's possible but recruiting in baseball...especially maintaining the talent level is a different thing....and I'm happy for them to try the Saban approach getting a bunch of 5* commitments and watching them run off to the pros....but baseball from my observation is a lot more about making the right call at the right time throughout the game and game management experience is a bigger deal...JMO. 

Archived