Coach Fountain to UGA

RunInRed

15 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I guess I stand corrected. I could've sworn I read that CEJ made the suggestion to Gus. But I'll admit short term memory isn't my strength!

I am certain I remember this as well.  CEJ reminded Gus of the LSU game earlier that year where they returned one.  I know how reliable the source is here, but... link

The Kick Six: Auburn's defensive coordinator, Ellis Johnson, doubted Alabama would make the long kick and suggested that defensive back Ryan Smith stand in the end zone with the potential to return a missed field goal.[53] Just before the kick, Malzahn called a timeout to "ice the kicker." During the timeout, Malzahn agreed with Johnson's idea to attempt a return of any missed field goal. However, he suggested Auburn's speedy punt returner, senior Chris Davis, Jr., stand under the goalpost rather than Smith.With one second remaining in regulation, Alabama freshman Adam Griffith's 57-yard field goal attempt fell short. Auburn's Chris Davis was positioned at the back of the end zone and caught the errant kick, returning it 109 yards (100 yards under NCAA scoring rules) to the opposite end zone and giving Auburn the upset victory.

can also be found here link

Then-defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson suggested putting a returned in the end zone to setup a return and Auburn initially sent Ryan Smith back deep. During a timeout, then-safeties coach Charlie Harbison said to put Davis, one of the best punt returners in the country, back instead.

"We weren't doing it to ice them, we were doing it to make a swap," special teams coach Scott Fountain said

58 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I guess I stand corrected. I could've sworn I read that CEJ made the suggestion to Gus. But I'll admit short term memory isn't my strength!

I've read that, too... as well as several of the other scenarios. 

47 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I am certain I remember this as well.  CEJ reminded Gus of the LSU game earlier that year where they returned one.  I know how reliable the source is here, but... link

can also be found here link

Ah ok thanks! I'm glad to know I didn't make up the entire thing in my own head!

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I've read that, too... as well as several of the other scenarios. 

I guess the truth is somewhere in between. Such an insane play everyone has their own version -- even the people involved!

5 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I was told by a very reliable source that Golf told Aubie who then told CEJ who told Harbison...who told Gus.

I stop speaking to Aubie years ago

18 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I was told by a very reliable source that Golf told Aubie who then told CEJ who told Harbison...who told Gus.

That works. In fact, anything that keeps Gus from getting any credit works for any number of our "fans".

Archived