When does Saban Retire

Beaker

This comes up a couple of times a year at my house.  My son is a student now, so I understand.

My answer:  I predict 1-3 yrs.  I presume the QB situation would be a determining factor for successful coaches waiting it out.  I don't see him staying like Petrino did or hanging on too long like Spurrier.  I happily predict when this QB is gone, Saban goes to TV.

???

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t know I could see him coaching until his health forces his hand. He has proven he can win with ok QB play as long as he keeps fielding a top notch D, unless the program is implemented in a horrible scandal he can only cement his legacy moving forward...

Next time bammer loses 2 reg season games.

12 minutes ago, Beaker said:

This comes up a couple of times a year at my house.  My son is a student now, so I understand.

My answer:  I predict 1-3 yrs.  I presume the QB situation would be a determining factor for successful coaches waiting it out.  I don't see him staying like Petrino did or hanging on too long like Spurrier.  I happily predict when this QB is gone, Saban goes to TV.

???

I honestly think this new OC may be the determining factor in what Saban does. If he's a bust, he may not stick around long.  If he is able to put together enough to complement the D, Sabans not quitting until he has the hardware to legitimately claim that he is the best of all time.

I don't want to sound like a smart A$$, but too many people transfer their own feelings and thoughts onto Saban, when in truth it is safe to say no one on this forum truly knows how he thinks. He will leave when he leaves and AU and its fans have too much to concern themselves with, to spend time trying to second guess the wee man across the state.

1 hour ago, Timeslider 6 said:

I don't want to sound like a smart A$$, but too many people transfer their own feelings and thoughts onto Saban, when in truth it is safe to say no one on this forum truly knows how he thinks. He will leave when he leaves and AU and its fans have too much to concern themselves with, to spend time trying to second guess the wee man across the state.

There ya go.

End of discussion.

Thread closed.

:beer2:

19 hours ago, Beaker said:

???

where his personality can truly shine.

To be honest though, he is kinda great on TV. He breaks film down as well as anyone in that industry. Plus, you can see him fuming when people make bonehead mistakes. Every time I've seen him in those national title breakdowns, he's been great. He'd kill on TV.

36 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

To be honest though, he is kinda great on TV. He breaks film down as well as anyone in that industry. Plus, you can see him fuming when people make bonehead mistakes. Every time I've seen him in those national title breakdowns, he's been great. He'd kill on TV.

I love listening to the guy talk football. I also love listening to him talk leadership/motivation/process, etc. 

I also don't think he will retire any time soon, unless he wins 2 championships soon. My sense is that personally, he is dead set on over taking Bear with 7 championships. He's also said that he holds himself to a certain standard as far as coaching goes, like he does the coaches that work for him, and when he is no longer coaching to his standard (not necessarily no longer winning), then he'll hang it up. We'll see. People say they can't wait for him to retire. I don't want him to retire. You want to beat the best, and beating Saban is as satisfying most anything. 

My how times have changed.  

I distinctly remember in yrs past threads popping up every off-season about Saban leaving for another shot at the NFL.....Was it Cleveland that was willing to give him a cut of the franchise to get him, or was it Cincinnati?  Then there were a few threads with Saban to Texas, the oil barons were going to assume his bad real estate investments AND pay him $10mm/yr to take over the Longhorns.  Folks said he hated the turds and would bolt at the first chance - he was selfish and would never coach anywhere for more than 5 yrs, he'd never be able to recruit at the LSU level, he'd never win a championship.

Now here we are a decade later projecting the man's retirement.  :rofl:

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

I distinctly remember in yrs past threads popping up every off-season about Saban leaving for another shot at the NFL.....Was it Cleveland that was willing to give him a cut of the franchise to get him, or was it Cincinnati?  Then there were a few threads with Saban to Texas, the oil barons were going to assume his bad real estate investments AND pay him $10mm/yr to take over the Longhorns.  Folks said he hated the turds and would bolt at the first chance - he was selfish and would never coach anywhere for more than 5 yrs, he'd never be able to recruit at the LSU level, he'd never win a championship.

I went against the grain on that one. From the jump, it was evident that a bunch of devout coach cultists had handed the keys to the castle to a man whose ego their worship suits perfectly. He has his kingdom and he has the tools to win. He's never going to have that kind of control or be idolized in that way in the NFL. He's where he needs to be, and the results prove it. As others have said, he's only competing against history now. That part I did not expect.

Turns out, though, that there were legs to the Texas thing. And too bad for them that it didn't work out. One of the only programs in the country where he could replicate the success he's currently having, although I don't know if UT boosters would fall in line like the UAT ones seem to have. 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

While I knew (and said) he would never go back Pro (with their fairly regulated "recruiting" rules), it wasn't 'til he (apparently) turned down Texas that I knew he would never quit UA. His home is his kingdom. He will leave UA on his own terms, and he will (maybe?) leave Ttown in a box.

ETA - Note to self: keep reading the thread!

He is 65 now. He has a contract for what another 7-8 years. I see him retiring at 70. Bad news is he probable wins atleast 3 more iron bowls, 3 more SEC titles and 2 more NC's at minimum. I loath bama, but the man can flat out coach and he has become a unbelievable football CEO.

46 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I loath bama, but the man can flat out coach and he has become a unbelievable football CEO.

IMO, he is above average at best. He has the machine that brings him the best players.  Before Bama, he was nothing special. While at Bama, he has had the greatest recruiting/signings in the history of football and that's not an exaggeration. He wins because he has the best players. He is an average game day coach.  He is however a phenomenal defensive coach whose 2001 LSU defensive playbook is now a bible for defensive coaches.  

If interested...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/135248/2001_LSU_Defense_-_Lou_Saban.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiTyaSB_6HUAhUXzWMKHbJIALcQFggdMAA&usg=AFQjCNG0gaph_wP5bJlt30SpOpGP27j87A&sig2=gF9wC1CJ1Oz1BMh0MgYYvw

I still contend he'd bolt for ND and hates most bammer fans.  But I just don't like him so my opinion is always skewed.

Nothing special?!? Seriously @bigbird? National championship with the crazy cajuns? He was the first coach in my lifetime to instill enough discipline in that program to compete for championships. He won two SEC titles, one NC, and set them up for multiple runs before he left. If he had been there in 2005, I don't believe UGA wins that SEC title. 

He's a great coach. Yes, the Bama coaching achievements are skewed by the talent gap now, but that wasn't true in 2008 or 2009. He had less talent than Florida and probably UGA or LSU. The guy is a great football coach. Total dbag. Great football coach. 

I would prefer that Auburn BEAT him into retirement. ?

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

IMO, he is above average at best. He has the machine that brings him the best players.  Before Bama, he was nothing special. While at Bama, he has had the greatest recruiting/signings in the history of football and that's not an exaggeration. He wins because he has the best players. He is an average game day coach.  He is however a phenomenal defensive coach whose 2001 LSU defensive playbook is now a bible for defensive coaches.  

If interested...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/135248/2001_LSU_Defense_-_Lou_Saban.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiTyaSB_6HUAhUXzWMKHbJIALcQFggdMAA&usg=AFQjCNG0gaph_wP5bJlt30SpOpGP27j87A&sig2=gF9wC1CJ1Oz1BMh0MgYYvw

Totally agree Bird, if he didn't have the recruiting tools he has (REC) he would be better than average but not the guru status he has attained. They have a machine in place and it is hard for anyone else to stay up with it without getting the NCAA involved and everyone here knows what is going on there. JMO

10 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Nothing special?!? Seriously @bigbird? National championship with the crazy cajuns? He was the first coach in my lifetime to instill enough discipline in that program to compete for championships. He won two SEC titles, one NC, and set them up for multiple runs before he left. If he had been there in 2005, I don't believe UGA wins that SEC title. 

'95 MSU 6-5

'96 MSU 6-6

'97 MSU 7-5

'98 MSU 6-6

'99 MSU 9-2

Win PCT: .585

'00 LSU 8-4

'01' LSU 10-3

'02 LSU 8-5

'03 LSU 13-1

'04 LSU 9-3

Win PCT: .750

Excluding his 1st season at Bama(7-6) Saban has lost 13 games in 10 years. For a win pct of .896.  

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/nick-saban-1.html

Prior to Bama and the machine that has rewritten college football recruiting, he was very pedestrian...even at LSU. 4 of the 5 years at LSU he lost 3+ games. He didn't suddenly become the greatest coach of all time.  He has been exposed as a game day coach many times and struggles when other coaches make good in-game adjustments.  As far as the Championship goes, Chizik has one too. 

Again, I think he is a great defensive mind. I just think he lacks as a HC.

35 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

He's a great coach. Yes, the Bama coaching achievements are skewed by the talent gap now, but that wasn't true in 2008 or 2009. He had less talent than Florida and probably UGA or LSU. The guy is a great football coach. Total dbag. Great football coach. 

I also agree i mean i know Bama gets away with alot but i also remember the tubby years and where was the machine then? I also believe if any Bama landed any other coach instead of saban noway they have the same success.

9 minutes ago, Southwest said:

I also agree i mean i know Bama gets away with alot but i also remember the tubby years and where was the machine then? I also believe if any Bama landed any other coach instead of saban noway they have the same success.

During Tubs time, bama didnt have the NCAA's head man tied to their coach. If Saban goes down Emmert goes down.  They were dirty and complicit together while at LSU.

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

During Tubs time, bama didnt have the NCAA's head man tied to their coach. If Saban goes down Emmert goes down.  They were dirty and complicit together while at LSU.

Bingo!!!

Agree and Thanks Bird!! ?

2 hours ago, WarTim said:

I would prefer that Auburn BEAT him into retirement. ?

If we could beat him two or three years in a row, retirement would look a lot better to him than being fired by the turds when they turned on him.

I hate to say this because he has been a pain in the frickin a$$ for so long for us but Unfortunately not anytime soon. Why would he? He is only 65 and on the top of his game and not close to the late years bobby bowden and joe pa were having when they had fallen off and had become just figure heads trotting out average teams each year. I do not think Saban is wired that way.  He is not going to hang on and just be a figure head. He is a grinder who works harder than almost anyone. When he can't do that anymore he will leave. Unfortunately he is one of the youngest 65 year olds I have ever seen. AU just needs to worry about finding our Coach K and start beating him consistently.

Archived