When does Saban Retire

Beaker

If I was in med school all over again as a young MD ready to make my mark and make many, many, millions of dollars over a 5 plus year stretch of time, I would become a psychiatrist in the Birmingham area starting the year Saban retired and the following years that bammer football rapidly plunges  into the netherworld of mediocrity.

The price of Prozac in the state of Alabama will climb into $$$$$$ range! 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

He is 65 now. He has a contract for what another 7-8 years. I see him retiring at 70. Bad news is he probable wins atleast 3 more iron bowls, 3 more SEC titles and 2 more NC's at minimum. I loath bama, but the man can flat out coach and he has become a unbelievable football CEO.

He is a young 65. I see him around for another 30 years or so.

5 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

He is a young 65. I see him around for another 30 years or so.

He isn't Golf

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

Runs a close 2nd. Promise you that Golf could care less how long the man stays around. 

Not just him. He's outlasted them all

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not just him. He's outlasted them all

Golf is great. I feel old until I see him posting an old Tech game and recalling that the wind was blowing 23 mph from the northwest.^-^

44 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Golf is great. I feel old until I see him posting an old Tech game and recalling that the wind was blowing 23 mph from the northwest.^-^

You should ask him about the flood

12 hours ago, WarTim said:

I would prefer that Auburn BEAT him into retirement. ?

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

So far yes but time will tell........I have some concerns

Best of my understanding, you outlasted the dinosaurs, and the only legacy they left behind was 

birds.

I agree with everything you say, Bird. But, I don't think he leaves bama until he out does Bryant in every coaching stat. All time wins, SEC and national championships. I think when he breaks all of Bryant's records then he will leave bama, not coaching all together but I truly believe he will leave the turds.:wareagle:

It is hard to see Saban as a Bryant/Bowden/Paterno "coach until they drag me out" guy.

But also Saban going to TV would be a massive pay cut.

Another thing to consider: Guys like Bowden and Paterno seemed to absolutely love coaching more than breathing. Saban seems miserable coaching. His motivations are maniacal, but different. It seems like Saban is motivated by perfection. If that is true, he will not retire on his own accord until either he reaches what he considers perfection, or until he realizes he cannot achieve his standard of perfection.

So a real downturn in his program (not near misses), or perfection. Those are the two things that will make him retire.

On 6/3/2017 at 4:56 PM, GwillMac6 said:

I hate to say this because he has been a pain in the frickin a$$ for so long for us but Unfortunately not anytime soon. Why would he? He is only 65 and on the top of his game and not close to the late years bobby bowden and joe pa were having when they had fallen off and had become just figure heads trotting out average teams each year. I do not think Saban is wired that way.  He is not going to hang on and just be a figure head. He is a grinder who works harder than almost anyone. When he can't do that anymore he will leave. Unfortunately he is one of the youngest 65 year olds I have ever seen. AU just needs to worry about finding our Coach K and start beating him consistently.

Yes, but part of the reason Bobby and Joe Pa declines is because they were just hanging on long enough to make a stat, and then they were going to retire. This killed recruiting. That is the reason Bobby named Jimbo his HC in waiting, was to try to stop the recruiting losses.

As Saban gets closer to some key stat, the potential for him to retire becomes greater, and the strength of his recruiting will decline.

12 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Yes, but part of the reason Bobby and Joe Pa declines is because they were just hanging on long enough to make a stat, and then they were going to retire. This killed recruiting. That is the reason Bobby named Jimbo his HC in waiting, was to try to stop the recruiting losses.

As Saban gets closer to some key stat, the potential for him to retire becomes greater, and the strength of his recruiting will decline.

I disagree completely. Saban is not wired like that. He does not have the same mindset or personality as bowden and Joe Pa. Unfortunately I do not see a vast decline even in to his 70's like those guys had. Will he win national titles every other year? probaly not. But the decline will be small and go from 11-12 wins every year to 10 probaly. But whatever I am done with this tired of arguing for a coach I truly despise.

12 hours ago, meh130 said:

I totally disagree with this. The machine is far bigger than Saban. As long as he is around, providing the NCAA screen, the machine will keep rolling along unhampered by the threat of him leaving.

• WarTiger changed the title to When does Saban Retire

Saban is not loyal to uat the way Bowden and Paterno were to FSU and PSU respectively.  He will not consider anyone but himself when it comes to a decision to leave/retire.   That is why it is so hard to predict.  I think 5 years.  

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 7:02 PM, augolf1716 said:

what flood

I think he means the one that your dad, Noah, navigated your family through.

31 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Saban is not loyal to uat the way Bowden and Paterno were to FSU and PSU respectively.  He will not consider anyone but himself when it comes to a decision to leave/retire.   That is why it is so hard to predict.  I think 5 years.  

I agree with you. I believe he is one of the most arrogant, egotistical, narcissistic, self serving people to ever walk the planet. He sees Alabama as the best tool to stay on top, and is going to drain it for everything he can get out of it until he does not want to or can't go any further with it. If he had not had all the success he has at Alabama, and been a great coach but not a dominate coach , he would have waved goodbye to turd town a long time ago.

39 minutes ago, casatiger said:

well I miss he would of been more disloyal like how he was to michigan state and LSU.......... Of course the place he has stayed the longest is that cess pool.........

5 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

I agree with you. I believe he is one of the most arrogant, egotistical, narcissistic, self serving people to ever walk the planet. He sees Alabama as the best tool to stay on top, and is going to drain it for everything he can get out of it until he does not want to or can't go any further with it. If he had not had all the success he has at Alabama, and been a great coach but not a dominate coach , he would have waved goodbye to turd town a long time ago.

I totally agree with you.

Archived