Pre High Tech Days

What do you miss? Couple of things I miss:

> A real person answering the phone at a business or institution.

> A knob that says On/Off/Volume

> A hand written letter sometimes

> A rotary dial phone, hardwired, heavy, and impossible to loose.  

I'm not old enough to remember those days as an adult, but did live the first 16 years of my life without a cell phone, or friends having them. One thing I loathe about cell phones is how completely non-commital it makes people. Its hard to make plans with people. Folks want to wait things out, and then make decisions at the last minute after weighing their options. I hate how accessible it makes you, or how accessible people expect you to be. I hate that you can get anything and everything on camera. Sometimes I just want an experience to be my own. I don't post on social media for that reason. I hate how dependent I have become on my phone. How much quality time I lose with friends or my wife because one of us is stuck with our face in our phones. I hate how no one talks to each other in waiting rooms, lines, buses, planes, etc. I hate how homogenous our society has become. Going to different parts of the country, places don't feel as unique as they used to - places don't have the identity they used to. Everything starts to feel the same. I miss the wonder of the world. 

I miss toggle swithes.  With a toggle switch, you knew if the system was on or off just by viewing the switch and when you threw the switch there was no mistaking if was on or off because it had enough resistance you knew by feel.

ETA: It made the look of a sports car, sporty.

Archived