Baseball vs. UCF Game Thread

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

K looking on the hook to end the game! AU WINS 7-4!!! They will play the FSU-Tenn Tech winner tomorrow at 6 CT.

Edited in case people go by the wrong time I originally posted.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Cerebral Palsy. Affects my vision in both eyes & lower motor skills on all of the right side of my body.

Didn't realize that but you handle it well with your computer work....would have never known since about everyone gets their fingers tangled up in a keyboard now and again. .....congrats and keep up the good work.

Thanks to those who provided the game commentary. I had to work a little later than usual and missed the game. It sounds like Auburn was hitting well today. War Eagle fellas.

In a rare occurrence this year ... I thought the umpire crew did a fantastic job.  Behind the plate, the ump set a strike zone and kept it ... with one exception I remember ... giving Cole the last called strike to end the game.  I thought it was a touch low, but close enough the batter should have swung.

3 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

In a rare occurrence this year ... I thought the umpire crew did a fantastic job.  Behind the plate, the ump set a strike zone and kept it ... with one exception I remember ... giving Cole the last called strike to end the game.  I thought it was a touch low, but close enough the batter should have swung.

Yep...in a situation like that ...9th inning, 2 outs, 2 strikes.....you can't leave the game up to the umpire on something that close...but it was a pretty nasty pitch too....

For those wanting to see our opponent for tomorrow FSU - Tenn. Tech just started. You can watching it on the WatchESPN App or your Web Browser here.

4 minutes ago, younggun said:

Anybody have any info on what to expect from Tenn Tech?

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but it's what I could find.

No. 4 seed TENNESSEE TECH, 40-19, won 10 of last 16 games

OVC Champions and OVC Tournament Champions

Hitting: .320 (2nd OVC), 97 home runs (1st), 41 stolen bases (6th)

Pitching: 5.29 ERA (2nd), 19 saves (1st), 547 strikeouts (1st), 209 walks (4th)

Fielding: .975 average (2nd), 42 double plays (8th), 58 stolen bases against (6th)

Top hitters: 3B Trevor Putzig .395, 22 2B, 6 HR, 51 RBI; DH Ryan Flick .384, 23 2B, 18 HR, 70 RBI; LF Collin Harris .332, 10 HR, 35 RBI, 13 SB; 1B Chase Chambers .306, 17 HR, 60 RBI; RF Kevin Strohschein .289, 14 HR, 60 RBI.

Top pitchers: RHP Michael Wood 8-4, 5.34 ERA. 78 K; RHP Jake Usher 5-2, 5.48 ERA; RHP Evan Fraliex 3-0, 4.55 ERA; RHP Ethan Roberts 1-3, 3.65 ERA, 13 saves; RHP Ty King 3-0, 2.01 ERA.

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Pretty much what you saw today according to e the pitcher is close to who pitched today

In fairness to them though it may indeed be a very good hitting conference. Their team ERA of 5.29 is 2nd in the conference.

One extra positive COULD come from this game: After the inexplicable (failed) bunt call in the 7th, maybe we've seen the last bunt of the season. Our success rate on straight stolen bases is higher than the % of successful bunts, and steals don't bring an automatic out with them. The next time we want to move a runner, let's just steal the damn base. We weren't bunting at all early in the season and that's when we were playing our best.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

In fairness to them though it may indeed be a very good hitting conference. Their team ERA of 5.29 is 2nd in the conference.

The OVC is heavy on offense.  Across all 11 teams they hit .297 AS A CONFERENCE which is ridiculous.  TTU leads the nation in home runs, with Austin Peay and Murray State tied for fifth and Morehead State ninth in the country.  

TTU did burn what I believe were their two best arms on the mound today.. The Moths kid that came on in relief was lights out.  I think our guys will realize what a golden opportunity that is in front of them.  UCF very well could eliminate FSU tomorrow.

And, oh by the way, that Lubbock regional is looking pretty pedestrian so far.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yeah. I was looking at it & even thought to Supers if Texas Tech doesn't win it. If Zona wins it & we win ours my guess is we would have to go there because their stadium is nearly 2 and a half times bigger than our so I figure they will put in a higher bid & get to host. If the 3 seed there wins the region & we win ours then we would host.

I thought the higher seed gets to host the Super...? If so, AU would have a very slim chance...

But gotta get there first.  Win today is very important for our pitching depth.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I thought the higher seed gets to host the Super...? If so, AU would have a very slim chance...

But gotta get there first.  Win today is very important for our pitching depth.

Sam Houston St won last night and will play Texas Tech tonight. IF (and that's a mighty big IF) Auburn and Sam Houston St win their regionals, I'm not sure how the Super host site is determined. A bid process does seem likely though. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

You are right. AU feels like a 2 seed to me. I forgot we are a 3 seed. The only way we would host is if the 3 or 4 seed won the Texas Tech Region.

Just now, boomstick said:

Sam Houston St won last night and will play Texas Tech tonight. IF (and that's a mighty big IF) Auburn and Sam Houston St win their regionals, I'm not sure how the Super host site is determined. A bid process does seem likely though. 

If the teams advanced are the same 2, 3, or 4 seeds Supers location is strictly determined by highest bid.

Just now, ellitor said:

If the teams advanced are the same 2, 3, or 4 seeds Supers location is strictly determined by highest bid.

Makes sense. SHSt is the 3 in the Texas Tech regional. They have a big game tonight. 

Archived