War Eagle, Arkansas

Surely this is already in the archives somewhere, but I didn't bother searching due to the unrelated clutter that would surely populate the first umpteen million results.

War Eagle, Arkansas is an unincorporated community in Benton County, Arkansas, United States.[1] It is the location of (or is the nearest community to) War Eagle Bridge, which carries CR 98 over War Eagle Creek and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.[2] It is also home to the 1832 War Eagle Mill which is still in operation as an undershot grist mill.

War Eagle has been noted for its unusual place name.[3]

816f0333-5b97-4464-8187-a6c0bd82e363

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Eagle,_Arkansas

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Surely this is already in the archives somewhere, but I didn't bother searching due to the unrelated clutter that would surely populate the first umpteen million results.

816f0333-5b97-4464-8187-a6c0bd82e363

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Eagle,_Arkansas

Well I'll be damned (probably)?

" Benton County, Arkansas"[from OP]

"…Benton County is part of the FayettevilleSpringdaleRogers, AR-MO Metropolitan Statistical Area

·       Cities: Springdale (mostly in Washington County)" [from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benton_County,_Arkansas]

shiloh-logo-gray.png

Springdale Campus

1707 Johnson Rd
Springdale, AR 72762

Springdale High School is a public high school in Springdale, Arkansas, United States for students in grades ten through twelve. Wikipedia

Address101 S Pleasant St, Springdale, AR 72764
Almost like he was drawn there from Hughes

Why won't these Arkansans realize that their institutions need a middle name?

I mean, damn.

8 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I can vouch for the deliciousness of those grits...

Cool. Suspect there's a story in there somewhere?

Love grits, but mostly for the universal compatibility. Camping trips, we'd carefully plan a menu for the weekend and then throw in a canoe-full of grits. We'd wolf down three days of all the good stuff Friday night, and eat "grit glump" (grits with the various leftover meat scraps, green onions, bacon bits, scrambled eggs, cheeses, etc. thrown in) for the rest of our outing. Worked out well. Grits with butter and salt taste a lot like butter and salt (which is always good). 

Aside - When in the Army, I saw yankees (can I say that here?) in the mess hall point and question. After identification of the puzzling material, I actually heard (more than once), "What's a grit?" 

...and the sturdiness of those boats.

I'm not sure about the origin of the name.

Probably some of the best grits I've ever had. Bigger, coarser grind. Cooked up super creamy as a nice base for shrimp and grits...

2 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

...and the sturdiness of those boats.

I'm not sure about the origin of the name.

Probably some of the best grits I've ever had. Bigger, coarser grind. Cooked up super creamy as a nice base for shrimp and grits...

Now I understand (except for the boats?). Coarse is good (flavor-wise, more hominey-ish?*) and actually complicates creamy. Any knowledge of where they were getting their shrimp that far inland?

* ETA reminder I'm of cigarette-sodden palate.

18 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Now I understand (except for the boats?). Coarse is good (flavor-wise, more hominey-ish?*) and actually complicates creamy. Any knowledge of where they were getting their shrimp that far inland?

* ETA reminder I'm of cigarette-sodden palate.

My shrimp with said grits were consumed here in north LA. During season, seafood trucks make daily runs to the coast. 

ETA - The taste was melded with the awesome shrimp jus that was very, very well flavored. Best I remember, they were more just an excellent vehicle for shrimpy-delicious goodness.

I love where this thread has headed. 

Shrimp and grits is one of those perfect foods that I will order just about anytime I see it on a menu. 

12 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

My shrimp with said grits were consumed here in north LA. During season, seafood trucks make daily runs to the coast. 

ETA - The taste was melded with the awesome shrimp jus that was very, very well flavored. Best I remember, they were more just an excellent vehicle for shrimpy-delicious goodness.

Trust me. Grits with shrimp tasting much like shrimp is not an indictment (any way, shape, or form) on grits. And the flavor of grits is far more compatible here than, say, oatmeal? Cream of Wheat? Grits do play well with others.

ETA - Come to think of it, I've even seen shrimp fried in masa harina (lacking, however, the seasoned broth opportunity). Good.

and at risk wandering astray - suggested pairing?

Grits = corn. Corn = sweet. Shrimp = sweet. Grits + shrimp = sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

For a beer pairing, I'm thinking malty lager or an amber ale to match that sweetness. Maybe even an English pale ale. 

I personally wouldn't look for big hops, really dark roast, really heavy sweetness, really high acidity or really high tartness, I don't think. 

Sincerely,
Completely unqualified for beer pairing

PS- I wouldn't deign to try to tell anyone how to pair wine. I usually just try to match the color of wine to the color of the food and hope for the best. 

Love some cheese grits. Best I've had come from the breakfast bar at the Piggly Wiggly in Port St. Joe, Fl. If you are ever visiting that breakfast is a must do. Take it over to the marina and enjoy the St. Joe Bay view while eating. Be there before 7:00 or the cheese grits are usually history.

Didn't a couple of guys open an IHOG around the Shelby County area years back? Think IHOP squabbled about it.

2 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Love some cheese grits. Best I've had come from the breakfast bar at the Piggly Wiggly in Port St. Joe, Fl. If you are ever visiting that breakfast is a must do. Take it over to the marina and enjoy the St. Joe Bay view while eating. Be there before 7:00 or the cheese grits are usually history.

Good to know! We have some friends who rent a house on the Cape every summer. Awesome area. Oysters, quiet beaches, scalloping and crabbing in the bay, bioluminescent water... love it down there. 

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Grits = corn. Corn = sweet. Shrimp = sweet. Grits + shrimp = sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

For a beer pairing, I'm thinking malty lager or an amber ale to match that sweetness. Maybe even an English pale ale. 

I personally wouldn't look for big hops, really dark roast, really heavy sweetness, really high acidity or really high tartness, I don't think. 

Sincerely,
Completely unqualified for beer pairing

PS- I wouldn't deign to try to tell anyone how to pair wine. I usually just try to match the color of wine to the color of the food and hope for the best. 

No harm on the wine.

Beer - not just for breakfast anymore,

2 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

No harm on the wine.

Beer - not just for breakfast anymore,

Out of likes. This is what happens around shellfish and carbohydrate conversations.

18 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Didn't a couple of guys open an IHOG around the Shelby County area years back? Think IHOP squabbled about it.

My favorite grits meal (when I can get it, limited to autumn down here) is grits/butter/green onion. runny fried eggs/salt/pepper, and fried mullet roe.I've even put (just a bare dusting) put celery seed on the grits (only time I do that). Bloody Mary of course.

7 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

My favorite grits meal (when I can get it, limited to autumn down here) is grits/butter/green onion. runny fried eggs/salt/pepper, and fried mullet roe.I've even put (just a bare dusting) put celery seed on the grits (only time I do that). Bloody Mary of course.

I'm not a runny egg guy, but I've never thought of whipping some in with a bowl of piping hot grits. Oh my. The mullet roe is a decadent power move. I hope I remember to try this sometime. How, pray tell, did you come upon this recipe? 

On 6/7/2017 at 10:53 AM, McLoofus said:

I'm not a runny egg guy, but I've never thought of whipping some in with a bowl of piping hot grits. Oh my. The mullet roe is a decadent power move. I hope I remember to try this sometime. How, pray tell, did you come upon this recipe? 

Sorry to leave you hanging, but a (another) needful trip back to Tloosa took up much of my day. The “recipe” just evolved from gradual fine-tuning of breakfast made with what we had around. Probably should have noted earlier that it was never a “bowl” meal and is still plated (when I can get all the ingredients) w./ parts separate. The “runny” egg is fried, sunny side up, in the same bacon grease as the roe. This allows for some flavored crisping of the bottom and edges of the egg-white while leaving the yolk somewhat fluid to encourage stirring parts together on the plate. Tremendous overall combination and, like said, politely calls out for the Bloody Mary.

There was a time when mullet roe was given away free at the seafood store in Fairhope, not a power play at all. We’d go in and buy cleaned mullet and, in the fall, ask if they had roe from their cleanings. Wasn’t even considered a saleable commodity back then. That all changed in the early ‘70s, and I miss those days. Fancy restaurants up north started buying. It’s not as “rich” as shad roe, and is much smaller, but loaded with flavor and, if you don’t over-fry it, has a delightful crunch similar to sushi masago. Then East Asians learned of the resource. Shoot – my last trip over to Mobile, I bought a jar of Mediterranean mullet roe that had been packed in oil a la caviar. Now I can’t buy fresh mullet roe at any price. It just ain’t available down here unless you take your cast net down to the pier (and I’m sufficiently old and frail that I can’t really manage a net bigger than about 10-ft.).

On 6/6/2017 at 2:43 PM, AUld fAUx@ said:

Why won't these Arkansans realize that their institutions need a middle name?

I mean, damn.

But I fear we’re drifting OT. Think we can find an influential Arkansan to spearhead a referendum for needful name changes?

10 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

There was a time when mullet roe was given away free at the seafood store in Fairhope, not a power play at all.

Decadent on the palate nonetheless. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Decadent on the palate nonetheless. 

Doubtless (with a capital "D"). Don't have a clue as to why So.Alabamans missed it, though there was a puzzling hoi polloi cultural bias against mullet in general (traces of which remain). I, however. had the advantage of three generations of local lore, and took advantage of the situation.

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Doubtless (with a capital "D"). Don't have a clue as to why So.Alabamans missed it, though there was a puzzling hoi polloi cultural bias against mullet in general (traces of which remain). I, however. had the advantage of three generations of local lore, and took advantage of the situation.

"Wait, caviar is fish eggs?!?! Too bad all we got 'round here is this roe..."

Crazy that things like lobster, oysters, certain cuts of beef etc. share similar histories. 

I grew up vacationing with my family along the sugary sand beaches of the Alabama and Florida coast. All I wanted to do while I was there was fish. For anything. Day...night....with a pole...with a trap. Whatever. My trips were usually unsuccessful. Oh sure, I'd catch the occasional hard head and maybe a blue crab or two. I brought in a trophy spec one day at a house we stayed in along the lagoon in Gulf Shores, but the old hook broke right as I reeled it in along the side of the pier. Drats. My luck changed the year that we stayed right by the cut in the island just west of Gulf Shores. There used to be a large concrete retaining wall that lined both sides of the cut, and ran maybe 200 ft out into the Gulf. This allowed me access to deeper water. I mostly caught ladyfish, of which I kept a few. That is until someone saw them and explained that I would be better off tossing them back. 

Well, one day in the middle of the day, I was out there casting away with my spinning rod, when a gentleman came out on the seawall with me with three 5 gallon buckets, a cooler he left on the beach, and a casting net. He offered to provide me with enough fish to feed my whole family (20+) if I would help him tote the fish back to the cooler while he stayed out throwing his net. He began the dance of throwing that net out and pulling in mullet. As a youngster, I had always thought of them as bait. These, he said, would be the finest fish I have ever eaten. So, back and forth I went with the buckets. Putting fish in the cooler, running back. Helping him corral any loose fish on the seawall before they escaped to freedom. It didn't take him long, and his cooler was full. He gave me a bucket full. I ran back to the house and we had the best meal of fried fish I had ever had. 

That's my mullet(fish) story. 

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I grew up vacationing with my family along the sugary sand beaches of the Alabama and Florida coast. All I wanted to do while I was there was fish. For anything. Day...night....with a pole...with a trap. Whatever. My trips were usually unsuccessful. Oh sure, I'd catch the occasional hard head and maybe a blue crab or two. I brought in a trophy spec one day at a house we stayed in along the lagoon in Gulf Shores, but the old hook broke right as I reeled it in along the side of the pier. Drats. My luck changed the year that we stayed right by the cut in the island just west of Gulf Shores. There used to be a large concrete retaining wall that lined both sides of the cut, and ran maybe 200 ft out into the Gulf. This allowed me access to deeper water. I mostly caught ladyfish, of which I kept a few. That is until someone saw them and explained that I would be better off tossing them back. 

Well, one day in the middle of the day, I was out there casting away with my spinning rod, when a gentleman came out on the seawall with me with three 5 gallon buckets, a cooler he left on the beach, and a casting net. He offered to provide me with enough fish to feed my whole family (20+) if I would help him tote the fish back to the cooler while he stayed out throwing his net. He began the dance of throwing that net out and pulling in mullet. As a youngster, I had always thought of them as bait. These, he said, would be the finest fish I have ever eaten. So, back and forth I went with the buckets. Putting fish in the cooler, running back. Helping him corral any loose fish on the seawall before they escaped to freedom. It didn't take him long, and his cooler was full. He gave me a bucket full. I ran back to the house and we had the best meal of fried fish I had ever had. 

That's my mullet(fish) story. 

Remind me, have you a mullet (non-fish) story?,

but yes! As long as you catch them off a sandy bottom, they are eminently friable.

42 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Remind me, have you a mullet (non-fish) story?,

but yes! As long as you catch them off a sandy bottom, they are eminently friable.

I'll save the non-fish mullet story for the music or beer thread. ?

Archived