War Eagle, Arkansas

20 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

(and I’m sufficiently old and frail that I can’t really manage a net bigger than about 10-ft.).

You are the man!! A true art that is not appreciated as it should be. Managing any cast net at any age is an awesome thing and a joy to see. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, McLoofus said:

"Wait, caviar is fish eggs?!?! Too bad all we got 'round here is this roe..."

Crazy that things like lobster, oysters, certain cuts of beef etc. share similar histories. 

I actually have trouble the poor, crazed soul that 1st cracked open, looked at the snot-like mass inside and said, "Hmmmm, got to try me some of that." I often give thanks to that soul.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

You are the man!! A true art that is not appreciated as it should be. Managing any cast net at any age is an awesome thing and a joy to see. 

Well-spread net is indeed downright beautiful to behold.

2 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

I actually have trouble the poor, crazed soul that 1st cracked open, looked at the snot-like mass inside and said, "Hmmmm, got to try me some of that." I often give thanks to that soul.

You've given me an idea to say that same thanks before every bivalve session.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

You've given me an idea to say that same thanks before every bivalve session.

Trust me. Incense is rarely appreciated in such settings.

5 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Trust me. Incense is rarely appreciated in such settings.

Split a dozen raw with the missus tonight. No incense was burnt.

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Split a dozen raw with the missus tonight. No incense was burnt.

Have a nice weekend.

Just had lunch at a pancake house. Catfish, Parmesan grit cakes, fried green tomatoes, collard greens, all stacked w some sort of creole tomato gravy.... dear lord

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Just had lunch at a pancake house. Catfish, Parmesan grit cakes, fried green tomatoes, collard greens, all stacked w some sort of creole tomato gravy.... dear lord

Had my Pig Wig cheese grits this morning...great side of much bacon and sausage gravy. Hungry again after reading the above 

On 6/10/2017 at 9:44 AM, Tiger Refuge said:

I was in DC last week. Had the best oysters Rockefeller I've ever had...at an oyster bar no less. Go figure.

Any info concerning their source? I've been reading that they're working hard to rejuvenate the Chesapeake beds, but have had little opportunity to get up there of late.

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Any info concerning their source? I've been reading that they're working hard to rejuvenate the Chesapeake beds, but have had little opportunity to get up there of late.

I wish I did, but alas...no info on the source of those oysters. They were bigger oysters...

I remember their oyster board had 5-6 different locations on it...from VA to MA best I can recall.

28 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I wish I did, but alas...no info on the source of those oysters. They were bigger oysters...

I remember their oyster board had 5-6 different locations on it...from VA to MA best I can recall.

I've certainly seen that. Oyster-bar menus in the Pacific Northwest read like a wine list.

Even down on the Gulf, where menus generally don't cite, servers know to be up on the source and ready when asked.

On 6/10/2017 at 0:38 PM, McLoofus said:

Not to steer away from the oysters but I love the sound of above....has me in want of some fried green tomatoes. Wednesday nights usually mean gumbo and collard greens from That Cajun Place to me. They have thing that is great called a Hurricane Burger. Mix of pork/beef beef grilled topped with fried green tomatoes and tad spicy Thousand Island type dressing. Already have my sights locked in on it.

The restaurant we were at Friday night had oysters from 3 places, all in VA or further north. None local.

Fortunately the place we ate Saturday night had some locals. 

I love the super briney ones from the NE, but the local ones we had were great, too. Very clean, very meaty and firm. Not the giant slimers we often get down here in our warm waters. (Which is not to say that I don't love those, too.) Evidently most of the really good ones in SC are farmed. I'm on board. 

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

Not to steer away from the oysters but I love the sound of above....has me in want of some fried green tomatoes. Wednesday nights usually mean gumbo and collard greens from That Cajun Place to me. They have thing that is great called a Hurricane Burger. Mix of pork/beef beef grilled topped with fried green tomatoes and tad spicy Thousand Island type dressing. Already have my sights locked in on it.

If I ever find myself in That Cajun Place, I have my orders. NICE.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

If I ever find myself in That Cajun Place, I have my orders. NICE.

and.......great oysters with beer on tap and in the frosted mug for $1 at happy hour.......

8 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

We generally reserve green tomatoes for end of season. If we're going to the trouble of growing them we're sure as hell going to vine ripen them as long as we can. We do, however, fry everything up at the 1st hint of cool.

2 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

We generally reserve green tomatoes for end of season. If we're going to the trouble of growing them we're sure as hell going to vine ripen them as long as we can. We do, however, fry everything up at the 1st hint of cool.

And I will say IMO, it is difficult to up a vine ripe tomato between to slices of fresh white bread with mayo and black pepper.

9 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

And I will say IMO, it is difficult to up a vine ripe tomato between to slices of fresh white bread with mayo and black pepper.

We also got a guy that cures bacon behind the stage in his bar (so it's "serenaded by local musicians" in the process) and easy access to purple onions.

14 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

My Connecticut wife was incredulous when I first introduced her to a proper tomato sandwich. She did not remain so for long. 

14 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

We also got a guy that cures bacon behind the stage in his bar (so it's "serenaded by local musicians" in the process) and easy access to purple onions.

Could get into a little of both with with my tomato sandwich but would never contaminate with packaged deli meat or lite mayo. Lite mayo should be outlawed IMO. 

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

My Connecticut wife was incredulous when I first introduced her to a proper tomato sandwich. She did not remain so for long. 

rather intrigued with you I would bet.

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

rather intrigued with you I would bet.

Indeed.

We've both learned so much from each other. She taught me how to eat lobster when we visited her grandmother on the Massachusetts coast. I turned her on to Conecuh sausage on Lake Martin. Fried clams vs fried pork chops, wine vs beer... it has gone about as you would expect. 

12 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Could get into a little of both with with my tomato sandwich but would never contaminate with packaged deli meat or lite mayo. Lite mayo should be outlawed IMO. 

Really hate to be anybody's shill. but the guy quickly made me quit my decades old habit of mail-ordering bacon from Burger's Smoke House.

https://www.billesbacon.com

Archived