Baseball vs. FSU Game Thread (Regional Final)

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Lots of you are acting like we've already lost the regional. We've still got arms in the pen, and FSU is just as down in arms as we are, if not, more. They just played 19 innings in a day, and will be fatigued as well. Yes it's a tough one to swallow, but Butch will have the guys ready tomorrow. I'm expecting to compete and expecting to win with offense tomorrow. Come on guys, stay optimistic, we're still a game away from a SUPER.

Not acting like we have lost the regional. Just speaking the Stone Cold truth.  Yes we can win it but the reality remains that as much as FSU pitchers have been used what they have left is still more reliable & consistent than what we are going to throw. Who ever we throw tomorrow has to has to be on his good side of being inconsistent.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Butch mentioned either Klobo or Watson starting tomorrow.  

Case in point on the inconsistency statement. If it's Klobo and he has his aTm stuff from last season then we have a good shot. If he has what he had most of this year, especially in his 2 starts, then we have to find a way to win a slugfest.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Not acting like we have lost the regional. Just speaking the Stone Cold truth.  Yes we can win it but the reality remains that as much as FSU pitchers have been used what they have left is still more reliable & consistent than what we are going to throw. Who ever we throw tomorrow has to has to be on his good side of being inconsistent.

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I know AU can win the game, they can win any game, but FSU just punted AU way out of the driver's seat with that win and it's going to be tough to overcome losing when they were down to their last strike at one point. 

Bring the bats, anything can happen. 

Coach Sisson better be doing some serious pitcher recruiting. 

I have said this before on other games but Butch has got to be a little faster to go get a pitcher at the end of a game. Cole pitched a hell of a game yesterday. He also threw around 90 pitches before he walked out there for the 9th inning. I like the call letting Cole go back out there but the conversation should have been "I'm going to let you try to finish this, but if one guy gets on, I'm coming to get you". On a side note. We kicked FSU up and down the field all day yesterday. If not for one inning, we come home and get ready for Supers. I don't see pitching being an issue today and it will be a committee approach. I wouldn't be surprised to see Anderson, Watson, Klobo, Coker, and maybe another thrown in there. Each guy through the line up once. I don't see FSU being able to put anyone out there we won't hit.

Two big positives for today....

1.  We will be home team tonight -      3. If the two teams are equal in the number of times that they have been home and visitor, the games committee 
or the NCAA site representative(s) shall observe the following procedures in the order stated: 
a. If the two teams have met previously in that particular tournament, the visitor in the previous game shall 
be the home team in the game in question. 

2. Dufner won the Memorial - Bounced back from a really bad round Saturday and shot 32 on the back nine at Muirfield yesterday to come from four shots back.

Image result for dufner memorial

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Coach Sisson better be doing some serious pitcher recruiting. 

We have a top 15 class with 9 pitchers including Tom Glavin's Boy. Still have to wait to see who will be drafted and who stays with college ball.

https://www.perfectgame.org/rankings/Recruiting/CollegeCommits.aspx?ID=1566&g=2017

That last strike or the last out is one of the toughest outs for a pitcher. You even see it in the Majors too.

And for someone to wonder about CBT not going to the mound amazes me. He is one of the best pitching coaches in the country. Some coaches have different philosophies about going out to the mound. It was probably a case where he had a veteran pitcher on in the ninth, who worked his tail off to keep us in the game. It was 2 outs, one runner on first. CL was still his best chance. Its was his best remaining pitcher against one of the better hitters. He knew what he had to do...and didnt need his coach to come out for appearances only. 

It just didnt work out...

30 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And for someone to wonder about CBT not going to the mound amazes me.

You're kidding yourself.  Lipscomb at 90+ pitches might not have been the best option at that point.  He was running on absolute fumes, would have been appropriate to remind him of his options (don't let this guy beat you, don't leave anything over the middle of the plate or he's going to do what he did in the second).  If you've never been in that situation you wouldn't understand, he was not cruising at that point.  Go back and watch those last five pitches...went to the rosin bag between every pitch, he was laboring to even breathe.  

5 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

You're kidding yourself.  Lipscomb at 90+ pitches might not have been the best option at that point.  He was running on absolute fumes, would have been appropriate to remind him of his options.  If you've never been in that situation you wouldn't understand, he was not cruising at that point...go back and watch those last five or so pitches, he was laboring to even breathe.  

IMO, the hardest managerial decision in baseball...when to pull a pitcher.  

Sometimes a tired pitcher is still the best option he has....but as you noted, CL was laboring and that first walk with 2 outs might have been the time to get him...but that's second guessing probably.     

I been amazed this past season to see coaches go out and pull pitchers in the middle of a count when a couple pitches got away but I expect those managers felt they actually had a good option for the next man up.  

One last thing ...someone mentioned about BT or a pitching coach going to the mound more often.  I notice in softball that the managers do a fair amount of "on field" counseling /  coaching during a game whereas in baseball, mostly the managers let the players "tough it out".   Guess as I've watched more softball, I appreciate the calming effect a coach can have in a tense situation...not to mention allowing a tired player to recover for a few moments......that's something that might not be out of place in baseball too. JMO

Woke up this morning with a good feeling about today. They know this one got away from them and I expect them to be ready tonight.

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Woke up this morning with a good feeling about today. They know this one got away from them and I expect them to be ready tonight.

We waxed them yesterday except for one inning. 

4 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I just read somewhere that UAT expects to introduce Coach Bohannon today.. I thought I heard he was going to coach through the regional. Not the case?

Hes going to ne introduced at bama then get back to Tallahassee for the game... yep

Not too sure why CBT is against visiting the mound to calm his pitchers down. I'm not saying he does not do it, but he only seems to do it as a stall tactic when he's basically decided to make a change. 

1 minute ago, tigeraddikt said:

Not too sure why CBT is against visiting the mound to calm his pitchers down. I'm not saying he does not do it, but he only seems to do it as a stall tactic when he's basically decided to make a change. 

Players don't like frequent visits either. I have no problem with how often he goes to the mound. I think at the end of games he just isn't quick enough to go pull a pitcher. In some cases it works but I feel it doesn't work just as often. maybe he is concerned about the arms coming out of the bullpen but you have to think that had he gone for coker or mitchell after the walk, we would be talking about the possibility of hosting a super today and not who is going to take the mound.

6 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Think Watson will take the mound for us?

Probably, then klobo, then mitchell, then davis might be up again

Archived