Danny Sheridan with an AU prediction

Auburn2Eugene

Judging by the preseason hype, Auburn is poised for a huge season in 2017. Should the Tigers fulfill those lofty expectations, head coach Gus Malzahn will likely find himself being rewarded with an extension and potentially a raise.

On the other hand, if Auburn fails to live up to the hype, many will be calling for his job. Interestingly enough, USA TODAY oddsmaker Danny Sheridan isn’t even willing to wait before calling out Malzahn.

During his appearance on The Paul Finebaum Show Thursday, Sheridan claimed Auburn should open the season as only a 4-point underdog in the Iron Bowl. However, should the Tigers come out and prove to be as good as the offseason hype suggests, Sheridan believes the game would be closer to a complete toss up.

“Alabama will be a solid 4-point favorite at Auburn, I wouldn’t rate them any higher because Auburn at home, Stidham could be really, really good,” Sheridan said on the air. “If Alabama plays average and Auburn plays really well with Stidham, I’d make the Alabama-Auburn game Pick ‘Em — maybe Alabama -1.”

Sheridan then went out of his way to put the heat on Malzahn, saying he needs to win the Iron Bowl for the first time since 2013 or he will be on his way out on the Plains.

“Auburn has had their nose rubbed in the dirt, all this crap about Georgia is a rivalry, this is it for Malzahn,” Sheridan said. “You don’t beat Alabama, you are history this year. At least I think that.”

“If I’m the athletic director and I’m paying you 4-5 million dollars a year, and you’ve lost what, three straight to Alabama, three straight to Georgia, your alleged rival. You’re 8-5 three years in a row. (If) I’m an Auburn fan, (if) I’m an Auburn alumni giving a lot of money, I think we can do better. And I know they can do better. 8-5 for three years, that’s Sumlinesque.”

(Note: Despite Sheridan’s statements, Auburn has not gone 8-5 three years in a row. Auburn went 8-5 in 2016 and 2014 but went 7-6 in 2015).

While fans on both sides of the rivalry in the state of Alabama have much riding on the annual outcome of the Iron Bowl, if Sheridan is correct, the man with the most on the line this year could prove to be Malzahn.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/handicapper-danny-sheridan-gus-malzahn-dont-beat-alabama-history-year/

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the Bama game will the the be all end all for CGM,  but what if we fall to Georgia and Bama and end the season 10-2?

Do you let go of CGM after winning 10 but losing to UGA and Bama for the 4th straight season? 

I would be hard pressed to believe we drop a coach after winning 10. However it would be EXTREMELY annoying losing to our biggest rivals 4 straight seasons.

I don't think UAt is the end all be all of CGM.  I do think we beat UGA this year, so that gets us past that hurtle.  However, Clemson, LSU & UAt are all schools that have the talent to beat AU it is a matter of a few lucky bounces.  We could easily be 9-2 or 11-0 going into Iron Bowl.  Personally I think Sheridan is a Bama homer and is just stirring the media pot for CGM hot seat.  I really don't think he is on a hot seat unless he completely tanks this year.

21 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't think the Bama game will the the be all end all for CGM,  but what if we fall to Georgia and Bama and end the season 10-2?

Do you let go of CGM after winning 10 but losing to UGA and Bama for the 4th straight season? 

I would be hard pressed to believe we drop a coach after winning 10. However it would be EXTREMELY annoying losing to our biggest rivals 4 straight seasons.

Definitely agree with last part of this. No, I don't think he would be gone for only losing to UGA and Bama, especially with Bama playing as well as they do consistently. I would like to take a page from the old WCW for Danny Sheridan though. If Gus goes 8-5 he has to leave. But if he goes 9-4 or better then Danny Sheridan has to leave never to be heard from again. :)

I don't either. I was just sharing an article I found. Plus it's the off-season... not a whole lot to talk about ya know...

But @lkeel75 what if we don't get past Georgia? And fall to our two biggest rivals for a 4th straight year, and end the season 10-2? You think CGM makes it? I do. As annoying as losing to UGA and Bama 4 straight seasons would be, I don't see us dropping CGM after a 10 win season... I just dont...

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

Definitely agree with last part of this. No, I don't think he would be gone for only losing to UGA and Bama, especially with Bama playing as well as they do consistently. I would like to take a page from the old WCW for Danny Sheridan though. If Gus goes 8-5 he has to leave. But if he goes 9-4 or better then Danny Sheridan has to leave never to be heard from again. :)

I wouldn't mind this regardless of finish. Of course I'd also like to never hear from Finebaum or Scarbenski ever again either.

22 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't either. I was just sharing an article I found. Plus it's the off-season... not a whole lot to talk about ya know...

But @lkeel75 what if we don't get past Georgia? And fall to our two biggest rivals for a 4th straight year, and end the season 10-2? You think CGM makes it? I do. As annoying as losing to UGA and Bama 4 straight seasons would be, I don't see us dropping CGM after a 10 win season... I just dont...

If we end year 10-2 then yes I do believe CGM will be back again.  The only way I see JJ firing him out right is he only has 6-7 wins at end of year.  Now I think loses to UGA & UAt for 4th straight year will absolutely put him on hot seat next year.  Someone pointed it out in another thread that really we are seconds away (and 2 miracle plays) from having a much worse record against UGA & UAt.  Truthfully they have owned us as of late even on years they shouldn't (ie: UGA last year).  So lose this year and next year is definite hot seat but I do think barring catastrophe CGM is back for next year not matter what.

Yep, Danny is stirring the pot. He could care less about Gus or the AU program. You think Au is in a rough spot with Alabama? Look at TN - their other rival. 11 years now and almost none of them are close recently? LSU? Other than Ole Miss, nobody in the SEC has beaten Alabama. This is not an AU thing.

Georgia, that is another subject. That game infuriates me. I don't even like to mention that rivalry any more. 

But, back to the positive, I do think we are going to be very formidable this year. Hopefully Clemson will be our coming out party. 

5 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Interesting question, but I can't see that scenario happening unless we get key injuries right before the Georgia game.  If we beat Clemson and LSU, we ain't losing to Georgia.

But, say it did happen.  The only way I could see getting rid of CGM is if he did something boneheaded to cause us to lose (whirlybird, playing an injured QB, etc.) or if we get blown out and look lost during both games.  4 in a row to your two biggest rivals simultaneously would be problematic.  Not sure it's ever happened before in Auburn's history, but too lazy to look back over the records.

It is too early to talk AU-Clempson at this point. It is far too early to talk AU-UAT.

Personally, I hope we get no respect going into Death Valley. I am perfectly fine with a 2013 replay with Clempson playing the part of Texas A&M.

But I don't think Bama will be at the level it was last year. That was the best Bama team I have ever seen. They ordinarily would be ripe for a loss in the season, but the SEC West looks much weaker this year than a few years ago, and UAT's SEC East draw is Vandy.

2 minutes ago, meh130 said:

It is too early to talk AU-Clempson at this point. It is far too early to talk AU-UAT.

Personally, I hope we get no respect going into Death Valley. I am perfectly fine with a 2013 replay with Clempson playing the part of Texas A&M.

But I don't think Bama will be at the level it was last year. That was the best Bama team I have ever seen. They ordinarily would be ripe for a loss in the season, but the SEC West looks much weaker this year than a few years ago, and UAT's SEC East draw is Vandy.

First you say it's too early to talk AU-Clemson, then you talk AU-Clemson. So which is it? :poke:

I think we have to look at Danny Sheridan's credibility here. This is the same guy who before last season predicted Alabama would lose at least 3 games.

He says what he says to raise eyebrows and attempt to be entertaining, so he keeps getting invited to be on shows such as Finebaum.

On a side note, I believe he is a vampire. He has no complexion whatsoever.

The first problem here is Auburn people are taking something Bagman said to Pondscum seriously.  Really?  Ya'll might as well be listening to Bozo the Clown.  I wonder what he thinks about this year?

15 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

The first problem here is Auburn people are taking something Bagman said to Pondscum seriously.  Really?  Ya'll might as well be listening to Bozo the Clown.  I wonder what he thinks about this year?

Yeah. This thread is ridiculous. Would be great to see it merged with the hot seat thread or sent to the media forum. 

Auburn/GUS needs to make a solid statement in BOTH Death Valley's early in the season.  If we come out of Clemson & Baton Rouge with losses in Sept & Oct. then the games with our two biggest rivals in November will be an up hill battle as we haven't had a mentally tough team in a long time.  

Winning in both Death Valley's would be huge confidence boosters for the players AND the coaches.

Get It Done GUS!

54 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. This thread is ridiculous. Would be great to see it merged with the hot seat thread or sent to the media forum. 

People are bored right now waiting on football season to get here. I think we've just seen the tip of the ice burg with ridiculousness.

Fun fact: Danny Sheridan almost landed the role of Ron Burgandy but the studio elected to go with Will Ferrell in a last second change of heart.

danny_sheridan_pic200.jpg

some of you cats probably do not remember but danny was pretty cool at one time and had a decent attitude towards auburn. i assume it was the cam thing that made him start acting unhinged toward auburn. and not many outside of auburn fans wonder about msu offering the money. now...if i offered my son to msu and get busted i damn sure not gonna do it twice in a row because that would be pretty stupid. hell maybe i am. but i believe only a fool would offer his sons skills twice after getting busted the first time. and msu should have been given a stiffer punsihment. anyway back to danny. his whole tone on finebaum would never be mistaken as love for the auburn nation. shame too. danny was pretty good at one time. and anyone that thinks auburn cheats and bama does not needs to be locked up in the looney bin awaiting shock treatments..........

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

now...if i offered my son to msu and get busted i damn sure not gonna do it twice in a row because that would be pretty stupid. hell maybe i am. but i believe only a fool would offer his sons skills twice after getting busted the first time. 

I agree with part of the sentiment at the end there, but I take issue with the "offering son" verbiage. Google "kenny rogers street agent" and you'll have everything you need to know about that. The truth is obvious to anyone who spends 5 seconds thinking about it, but it isn't nearly as sexy as the narrative that people decided to go with. 

18 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Man, that would be the worst 10-2 season I could possibly imagine. Gus wouldn't get fired but you wouldn't hear many AU fans signing his praises either. Its a tough life being a football coach in the south haha

50 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Man, that would be the worst 10-2 season I could possibly imagine. Gus wouldn't get fired but you wouldn't hear many AU fans signing his praises either. Its a tough life being a football coach in the south haha

JMO....more of an Auburn thing....not so bad at many other schools.

As for ending 0-2...might chalk that up to unfortunate scheduling.

I don't think UAT will be the deciding factor for Gus's job security unless we got into the Iron Bowl with only 6 or 7 wins and a loss to UGA. A win against Bama could salvage that type of season.

We have to break one, if not both, of those streaks. We've apparently got the QB and OC now. We know we had the RBs and an improving defense. If we go 0-2 there, Gus's seat warms up in my mind. 

Archived