Stidham's odds of winning Heisman

aubiefifty

17 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Where's the pre 2015 Jeremy Johnson thread about his Heisman odds? 

That article was almost exactly the same right around this time of year saying how his odds were being increased lol

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the newish offensive philosophy may reduce the quantity of Pettway's carries, it is just as likely to increase the quality of those carries.

Some of you may cringe at the Heisman talk, but dang, I like the fact Auburn has a player in the conversation. Whether he pans out or not

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

That article was almost exactly the same right around this time of year saying how his odds were being increased lol

My thoughts exactly lol

53 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Some of you may cringe at the Heisman talk, but dang, I like the fact Auburn has a player in the conversation. Whether he pans out or not

You should feel great then, because we technically have 2 players in the conversation.

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

While the newish offensive philosophy may reduce the quantity of Pettway's carries, it is just as likely to increase the quality of those carries.

I like your attitude regarding this. We should embrace it and be happy for the kid(s) but for some reason when prognosticators are wrong about us they are damn wrong

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

If they can stay healthy, both Pettway and Stidham has a good shot at being in the Heisman race.

Many Thanks, sir.

How good a shot?

On in interesting note, 247 utilized analytics to estimate Stidham's numbers in 2017 based on his previous performance and what they know of  Auburn's offense:
179.1-for-295.4 (60.6%), 2,369.8 pass yards (8.0 yards per pass), 23.8 pass TD, 7.7 INT, 43.4 rush yards (1.5 yards per carry), 1.2 rush TD.

Realizing projections are far from accurate, they point out that Auburn being a run first team is likely going to push his numbers down compared to the more pass first offense he ran at Baylor.  I hate to say it, but he could be a revelation at Auburn, but with those stats, he wouldn't even sniff the Heisman.  This could be a situation where Stidham and Pettway are both so good that they cancel each other out.

For those wondering, here are Lamar Jackson's 2016 stats:
230-for-409 (56.2%), 3,543 pass yards (8.7 yards per pass), 30 pass TD, 9 INT, 1571 rush yards (6.0 yards per carry), 21 rush TD.

That's 1200 more passing yards, 1500 more rushing yards, and 27 more touchdowns.

16 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Those numbers are close to JC in 2004. I will take that! Add in a top running game and a good defense, that would be a lot of fun. 

Definitely NOT saying those numbers can't win us a lot of games... just saying they won't even garner Heisman discussion toward the end of the season. Though, if we win A LOT of games, he'll get talked about (see Hurts last year).

Guest WarEagleSteve
7 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Definitely NOT saying those numbers can't win us a lot of games... just saying they won't even garner Heisman discussion toward the end of the season. Though, if we win A LOT of games, he'll get talked about (see Hurts last year).

Even if we win a lot of games, I don't see JS entering the Heisman conversation without AT LEAST 3500 passing yards and 30+ TDs. He's not going to approach 1000 rushing yards and I would say 500 is probably pushing it so he's going to have to put up absolutely monster passing numbers just to get his foot in the door in my opinion. The average stat line for the last six Heisman trophy winning quarterbacks is as follows: 3100 pass yards 34 TDs; 980 rushing yards 15 TDs. I don't see Stidham putting up those kinds of numbers.

8 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Coincidentally, as SI's preview top 100 count down, they end up in the same neighborhood.

"He [Mr. Stidham] landed one spot in front of Alabama quarterback Jalen Hurts (No. 75) and several ahead of Washington State quarterback Luke Falk (No. 79). Other quarterbacks already on the countdown include UCLA’s Josh Rosen (No. 84), Toledo’s Logan Woodside (No. 89), Florida State’s Deondre Francois (No. 91) and Mississippi State’s Nick Fitzgerald (No. 97).

Highlights and [insertion] mine

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-top-100-players-braden-smith-jarrett-stidham

On 6/9/2017 at 5:17 PM, Tiger said:

I like your attitude regarding this. We should embrace it and be happy for the kid(s) but for some reason when prognosticators are wrong about us they are damn wrong

Me too!

Of course it's way too early for end of the year awards talk!!  And yes, many times the prognosticators are way off. And yes we've been affected by their misfires in the past. 

But hey, I would rather them look at our team and players "somewhat objectively" and say "This guy has the tools, and this guy has a lot of talent, etc. Auburn has a legit chance to dethrone bama this year" than "These guys suck and Auburn will suck this year."  

C'mon guys!  Be glad we have kids in the conversation!  Be glad AU is in the conversation!  It's better than the alternative. 

Agreed. I like the hype. I just want us to actually live up to it for once. I can't remember the last time AU was predicted to do well and actually did well. Probably when Pat Dye was coach?

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Agreed. I like the hype. I just want us to actually live up to it for once. I can't remember the last time AU was predicted to do well and actually did well. Probably when Pat Dye was coach?

The last time I remember living up to hype was 2006. We just had two horrific losses.

33 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

The last time I remember living up to hype was 2006. We just had two horrific losses.

11-2 so I guess we did live up to the hype, but man that was a tough team to watch play.  They were the culmination of Tub's "play sound defense, play good special teams, eat the clock, take advantage of the other team's mistakes" philosophy. Ugly losses and ugly wins.  We didn't score an offensive TD vs Florida and still won the game.  I went to the Cotton Bowl (and froze) and just remember thinking the whole game, "wow we're going to win and I have no clue how it happened."

• 2 weeks later...

Odds just got better

According to Bruce Feldman of Sports Illustrated, Stidham is tied for the sixth-best Heisman Trophy odds for the 2017 season at William Hill. Stidham is now at 12-1 odds, tied with Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett. He has the best odds of any SEC player.

Only USC quarterback Sam Darnold, Louisville quarterback — and defending Heisman Trophy winner — Lamar Jackson, Penn State running back Saquon Barkley, Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield and Washington quarterback Jake Browning have better odds than Stidham.

15 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett.

Feels like this kid has been at Ohio State for 10 years

Those heisman odds are respectable. No reason except for injury to not excel on offense this year. Malzahn, Lindsey, and Borges have a top tier QB, two experienced RBs, a young but very talented wide reciever group, and a top 15 offensive line. All that to go along with a defense that should be even or better this year. Oh yeah, and the best kicker in the nation. 

My money is we will be sending Kamryn Pettway to NYC for the Heismman show!  He was our best player last year.  Our best player this year.  Although Chip will air the ball out, if he is as good an OC as everyone says he will build the offense around the guy.

Archived