Bob Stoops retiring

McLoofus

Got Baker Mayfield and the crew and he couldn't coach for just one more year....Got dang it. Well still hope he has a good retirement.

He says it has been in the works for a year, he wants to go 'live life' and he has been grooming Lincoln Riley to take over.  

I've got to think that there is a lot more to this story and it involves some serious CYA on someone's part. After all, we know he placed winning games above the welfare of OU students, so maybe someone did some digging and it came down to cutting ties or the university taking a big hit.

Of course, option 2 is that he's got family/health issues in which case I still have little respect for him, but it's none of our business.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I've got to think that there is a lot more to this story and it involves some serious CYA on someone's part. After all, we know he placed winning games above the welfare of OU students, so maybe someone did some digging and it came down to cutting ties or the university taking a big hit.

Of course, option 2 is that he's got family/health issues in which case I still have little respect for him, but it's none of our business.

That's kind of where my mind went, but it was said by someone somewhere that he'll be remaining employed by OU "in some capacity", and he says it's not his health, so who knows. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's kind of where my mind went, but it was said by someone somewhere that he'll be remaining employed by OU "in some capacity", and he says it's not his health, so who knows. 

It's going to be another Steve Spurrier kind of thing. The only people who really know what happened will take it to their graves.

I agree with all on this thread who feel there is something amiss here. Don't know if we will ever get the full story...or maybe we have and we just don't know it yet.

As a Texas fan, I'm interested to see the start of a completely new era of the Red River Shootout Rivalry. Herman vs. Riley...

Maybe he's replacing Saban and we can merge retirement threads...

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

As a Texas fan, I'm interested to see the start of a completely new era of the Red River Shootout Rivalry. Herman vs. Riley...

That could be a heck of an entertaining game... if Riley translates to being a good head coach and his offense doesn't suffer for it.  As we have learned the hard way, adding head coaching duties can have a negative effect on a stellar OC. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

It's going to be another Steve Spurrier kind of thing. The only people who really know what happened will take it to their graves.

Maybe ..but could be just what he says it is.....gonna live his life and not worry about all the pressures of coaching a top team.

Nothing wrong with that and lots of things he can do for OU and for his community ....and still go to sleep in his own bed at a reasonable hour every night.  I retired at 58 and have lead a busy life since then.....and haven't regretted the decision for a moment t...:)  Good luck to him as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe he is just following in Gene Chizik's footsteps and really wants to spend time with his family. Looks like he may have a son in high school, like Chizik does. I can imagine that coaching wears on you after a while. Lots and lots and lots of stress over a game. It has gotten to be big business, as in HUGE, and some of these guys are probably hungering for simpler times.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

That could be a heck of an entertaining game... if Riley translates to being a good head coach and his offense doesn't suffer for it.  As we have learned the hard way, adding head coaching duties can have a negative effect on a stellar OC. 

Yeah Broyles Award winners have traditionally not translated into good HCs.

His name will be reported as candidate for every opening in the NFL and major college jobs for the next 3 years.  I wish him a happy retirement he earned it as we all do.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Yeah Broyles Award winners have traditionally not translated into good HCs.

It's certainly not automatic...but schools keep trying don't they ?....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broyles_Award 

It's a relatively new award....expect over time some of them will work out....but most are not looking good...but Chiz has his BCS and they can't take that away from him...

Retired? Very odd. Sounds like a 2009 Urban Meyer type scenario.

Ages of some major coaches:

Nick Saban - 65 years old.

Les Miles - 63 years old.

Mark Dantonio - 61 years old.

Stoops - 56 years old.

Brian Kelly - 55 years old.

Jim McElwain - 55 years old.

Chip Kelly - 53 years old.

Urban Meyer - 52 years old.

Chris Petersen - 52 years old.

Gus Malzahn - 51 years old.

Jimbo Fisher - 51 years old.