Bob Stoops retiring

McLoofus

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Retired? Very odd. Sounds like a 2009 Urban Meyer type scenario.

Ages of some major coaches:

Nick Saban - 65 years old.

Les Miles - 63 years old.

Mark Dantonio - 61 years old.

Stoops - 56 years old.

Brian Kelly - 55 years old.

Jim McElwain - 55 years old.

Chip Kelly - 53 years old.

Urban Meyer - 52 years old.

Chris Petersen - 52 years old.

Gus Malzahn - 51 years old.

Jimbo Fisher - 51 years old.

Dabo Swinney - 47 years old.

Keep in mind that Stoops  has been a head coach for nearly 20 years . .. Which is longer than most of those guys I think. That is a long time in the pressure cooker. Guess I don't understand why people look for nefarious reasons for something like this. Looks nothing like the Urban Meyer situation.

I am like some of the others. I think there is more to this story than meets the eye. Sure he may have been planning to retire and have been grooming Riley for the job, but the timing of this is bad. You don't just up and retire 2-3 months before the season starts when you have a returning heisman finalist at QB. 

Something is afoot at the CircleK. Personally I don't buy the story....not with the timing.

7 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I am like some of the others. I think there is more to this story than meets the eye. Sure he may have been planning to retire and have been grooming Riley for the job, but the timing of this is bad. You don't just up and retire 2-3 months before the season starts when you have a returning heisman finalist at QB. 

Something is afoot at the CircleK. Personally I don't buy the story....not with the timing.

There probably is a reason...likely did no just wake up one day and think.."this is a good day to retire"....maybe 195/90 BP or something but then again, maybe it's been on his mind a long time.   

As for timing...it's perfect.    if you think about the coaching "season" this is about the longest dead time of the year....the 6 month season is done, recruiting has been completed and spring football is over.... seniors have graduated,  Now there is almost 3 months until the season starts and his successor is already in place ready to put an established team on the field.   

This is a case where the Okies just hire or bump up a young assistant of some sort to fill the OC slot....and never skip a beat.  For the way this went down, there could not have been a better time for the Oklahoma football program....JMO.

He shouldn't need the money and the job is a minimum of 18 head and back breaking hours 7 days a week. I can easily see anyone that's been an HC for 20 years getting a belly full and calling it quits. Once the love for it is gone and the bank account is full, why keep on?

It's all downhill for OU from here. You can't replace a local legend with a head coach in training and expect no drop off. I, personally, am looking forward to their downfall. @lionheartkc mentioned reasons as to why they should be concerned by shifting their very good OC into a new role with exponentially more responsibilities. I don't think they slip overnight because they have an absolute stud at QB but I'd be concerned if I was an OU fan about the long term status of the program.

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

It's all downhill for OU from here. You can't replace a local legend with a head coach in training and expect no drop off. I, personally, am looking forward to their downfall. @lionheartkc mentioned reasons as to why they should be concerned by shifting their very good OC into a new role with exponentially more responsibilities. I don't think they slip overnight because they have an absolute stud at QB but I'd be concerned if I was an OU fan about the long term status of the program.

On the up side for them, they obviously don't care about what their players do off the field, so that will free up some of Riley's time.

So on the drive yesterday they were talking about this and brought up a couple of good points.

1) Stoops' father and uncle passed away in their late 50s from heart trouble.  This very well could just be him wanting to spend some family time.

2) Stoops and his wife just bought their "dream home" in Chicago.  Now most on here probably had same reaction I did just then but apparently it has all the bells and whistles.  This also lent it's way to thinking he may be thinking NFL in the near future.

3) He is still going to be on staff at OU for some period of time.  He has some bs title like Special Assistant to the President or something like that.

Anyway, just food for thought.

30 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

3) He is still going to be on staff at OU for some period of time.  He has some bs title like Special Assistant to the President or something like that.

My brain is currently not as reliable as it has been, but haven't we seen this kind of thing before with someone who was quietly kicked to the curb to cover something up?

18 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

It's simple. Once he beat Auburn in the Sugar Bowl, he completed his coaching bucket list. Win a NC and beat Auburn. 

Lol.

I'll give you credit for not having little brother syndrome, at least. 

I guess we ought to consider one other reason. Stoops has, for years, ranted about how the SEC is overrathed, and he;s backed it up with wins over Auburn and Florida in bow3l games.

Maybe Oky and OkyLite are seriously discussing migration to the SEC.

Whether it is a reason for Stoops departing, I still like the idea.

Maybe this is just a way to keep Riley from going else where, since I am sure retirement was coming within the next few years anyways for Stoops. 

Archived