Stoops vs. Malzahn

GordoAU

Would you be okay with losing Malzahn after this year and pursuing Bob Stoops? Who would you rather have? It's the middle of the off-season and seems like a fun discussion. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree. Bob Stoops is much better as a football head coach. He is a top 5 HC and Malzahn is probably a top 20-25.

5 minutes ago, GordoAU said:

I disagree. Bob Stoops is much better as a football head coach. He is a top 5 HC and Malzahn is probably a top 20-25.

Stoops is a top 5 head coach in the Big 12... he has also proven to be of less than stellar character. Even if he were to coach again, which I doubt, I wouldn't want it to be at Auburn.

25 minutes ago, GordoAU said:

Would you be okay with losing Malzahn after this year and pursuing Bob Stoops? Who would you rather have? It's the middle of the off-season and seems like a fun discussion. 

The answer to the first question is no. And that answer moots the rest of the questions.  Bob Stoops isn't called "Big Game Bob" for winning 'em.

20 minutes ago, GordoAU said:

Oh. I get it now. You're working on material. Well...this material is no good without copious alcohol.

Do I want bob stoops to coach at AU? No. Is he a better coach than Malzahn? Track record favors stoops so far. 

Stoops is a great coach. Quit playing . You can't compare the 2. Stoops has many more years in the big leagues 

4 hours ago, GordoAU said:

Gus not going anywhere after this great year

3 hours ago, oracle79 said:

circleoflifein1stplace.gif

Too bad Bob beat our eyes shut in NOLA. Also the last game he ever coached . 

2 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Too bad Bob beat our eyes shut in NOLA. Also the last game he ever coached . 

We get it you want some of Bob Stoops in your life. Most on this thread, including me, do not want him at AU. Based on percentages Mark Richt is a better coach than CGM too. Doesn't mean I want him at Auburn.

I think on Bob Stoops worst day he is still better than Malzahn. Malzahn may be a better recruiter but Stoops is an all time great and Malzahn has not shown to be that yet. Stoops has his issues but come on he is the most winning coach in Oklahoma history and wins 10 games or more basically every year and has dominated the SEC as of late. I don't think this is a possibility and Malzahn could end up working out and becoming a top tier coach but he has work to do. Right now it is not even close which coach is an upgrade.

Stoops has almost 20 years as HC and another 8 or so as a high level assistant.  Other than Saban....no coach in the SEC can come close to Stoop's record....don't understand why anyone even raises this kind of comparison. ..trolling I guess.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Stoops has almost 20 years as HC and another 8 or so as a high level assistant.  Other than Saban....no coach in the SEC can come close to Stoop's record....don't understand why anyone even raises this kind of comparison. ..trolling I guess.

Not trolling. It is a relevant question with Stoops being recently available and it is the off-season. This is almost as relevant as talking about Auburn moving to the East. Just bored people wanting something to talk about.

The problem comes when comparing his 10+ win seasons.  The Big 12 through the '00s was beyond soft and weak.  Most of the time if you beat UTx, then you won the Big 12. Colorado, Missouri, and KState aren't exactly Bama, LSU, or UGA.  Yes, he had a great run of 20 years, but there was a reason he never took one of the many SEC openings during his tenure.  Fertile North Texas recruiting grounds and minimal competition makes a career look good.  

Here we go with the " I'd rather have a coach that goes 8-5 and says War Eagle and No Doubt than a guy that consistently wins 10+ games a year any day" defense.  I am sick and tired of all the Gus defending.  Seriously he could go 8-5 this year and the same people on this board will make excuses for him and Jacobs. 

13 minutes ago, GordoAU said:

Not trolling. It is a relevant question with Stoops being recently available and it is the off-season. This is almost as relevant as talking about Auburn moving to the East. Just bored people wanting something to talk about.

Thing is....nothing says Stoops is "available"....staying at OU...if he wanted to coach he could do it there with much less wear and tear than than the SEC. ..but I understand boredom... 

MY prediction...next AU coach (and sooner or later there will be one) will not be a home run ....and likely not be someone that fans are excited about.  It ain't JJ...it's coaching at AU that causes us to have to hire the coaches we get...look back to all of our previous coaches after Shug and consider their resume's before we hired them.  We generally have to roll the dice and see what happens...JMO

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thing is....nothing says Stoops is "available"....staying at OU...if he wanted to coach he could do it there with much less wear and tear than than the SEC. ..but I understand boredom... 

MY prediction...next AU coach (and sooner or later there will be one) will not be a home run ....and likely not be someone that fans are excited about.  It ain't JJ...it's coaching at AU that causes us to have to hire the coaches we get...look back to all of our previous coaches after Shug and consider their resume's before we hired them.  We generally have to roll the dice and see what happens...JMO

I hate you

1 minute ago, ToomersStreet said:

I hate you

Sorry...I had a bad day at golf yesterday and my attitude is still suffering from it...

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Sorry...I had a bad day at golf yesterday and my attitude is still suffering from it...

Forgiven

i think gus can improve as long as he keeps his ego in check. he is making the right steps. i think lindsey is a bright young o guy with a big future ahead of him. we got a pretty good d guy as well when it comes to scoring d. i believe if gus helps and not interferes much i think we can get pretty good. of course i thought terry bowden could walk on water his first couple seasons.....lol

Archived