Holsey calls Secondary "best"

lionheartkc

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Former-Auburn-star-doubles-down-calls-secondary-best-in-nation-53092618

Joshua Holsey is not one to hide his opinions, and he is not afraid to double down on those thoughts at random moments.

Today was one of those times as the former Auburn defensive back, who played his final season for Tigers in 2016, by taking to Twitter to declare Auburn's secondary will be the "best" in the country in 2017.

Holsey's take is nothing new. He was extremely high on the Tigers' group in the defensive backfield following a pro day workout at Auburn in March. He said at the time new secondary coach Greg Brown was walking into a meeting room filled with "diamonds."

“They came in talented. Each one of them,” Holsey said. “That whole room, it’s hard to pick one guy because if I say one guy, I’m going to say another guy. Every one of those guys is going to be great. They’ll probably have the best secondary Auburn has had in a long time.”

Yes, Holsey said one of the "best" at Auburn.

“I truly think that,” Holsey said. “Even with me and everything we lose, I still believe that will be the best secondary they’ve had in a long time.”

Guess he didn't think about how thin we are back there...

17 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I've never been a fan of that kind of talk before a season starts.

Meh, who cares? Just one more reason to love Holsey. Dude never got his due while he was at AU....

Doesn't brother me as long as you walk the talk...............DB's are the best trash talking guys why I love them.....oh I played DB

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Doesn't brother me as long as you walk the talk...............DB's are the best trash talking guys why I love them.....oh I played DB

Oh, You are definitely the DB

I love Hosley's take on this. Why not?  Confidence breeds confidence and I see this in this context. Confidence is knowing to be humble enough to in your own heart that you can be better than the other guy on the other team you are dealing with throughout the game without being a total horses a$$. Hit them hard each time so that they will remember the last hit you gave them, and they will try another approach with another team mate who will hit them as hard as the guy who just rang their bell very loudly.

This is the mindset the defense must have, and I think they fully understand this and will take it to heart on each play in each game for 2017.

It's confidence, but I cringed when I read this. If Holsey truly believes that (which we all hope this is the case), then why don't we keep it to ourselves? Let our on-field production do the talking. Don't need to offer bulletin board material for our opponents.

Holsey is known to be a trash talker.  It does worry me about the depth, however our starters are studs.  I know Boussard will be a really good player for us if he continues to put on weight.  He is almost an exact copy of Cartlon Davis.  Holsey would know better than any of us how the unproven back-ups are actually like and he hasn't given us a reason not to trust him.  So, why not?  

Better back it up come September 9th. Of course, he won't be the one out there.

I don't mind DBs and WRs talking smack because ultimately they are 1 vs 1 and it's either put up or shut up for them.  I hate when DL/OL talk that crap because it's such a collective group to be successful.  

13 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

I've never been a fan of that kind of talk before a season starts.

especially from someone no longer with the team

13 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I don't mind DBs and WRs talking smack because ultimately they are 1 vs 1 and it's either put up or shut up for them.  I hate when DL/OL talk that crap because it's such a collective group to be successful.  

Exactly, they have to believe they are the best out there every play.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Better back it up come September 9th. Of course, he won't be the one out there.

This... It's not like our guys are writing checks they can't cash... Holsey is doing it from the safety of an NFL team (assuming he makes the cut in the Fall). 

He's just shouting out his boys I don't see it as a big deal. But cross all your fingers and toes that our starters stay healthy all year

19 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He's just shouting out his boys I don't see it as a big deal. But cross all your fingers and toes that our starters stay healthy all year

I agree. This is just JH saying his former teammates are the best. If this was a high ranking insider/analyst, maybe it would be a reason to debate what he said. A bunch of these guys were his family the past couple of years so there's obviously some bias and trash talk in there. But at the time of his departure, I can't imagine anyone on the staff (or team) who had spent as much time around the DBs as JH. So let's hope he's onto something. 

The guy gave up his knees for Auburn, and loves Auburn to death.  I think we can give him a pass, true or not.  He was always so fun to watch on the field.  Always smiling and those two picks in the Ole Miss game and the one against Vanderbilt were critical for us.  I hope to see him on Sundays.

We should rename this the "Pansy Thread" (pansy to keep it family friendly). Glad none of you guys go to war for AU. Good grief, Holsey is a FORMER player talking up his buds. Wth difference does that make? AU fans are such wusses so often. Grow a pair and quit being skeered.

2 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

We should rename this the "Pansy Thread" (pansy to keep it family friendly). Glad none of you guys go to war for AU. Good grief, Holsey is a FORMER player talking up his buds. Wth difference does that make? AU fans are such wusses so often. Grow a pair and quit being skeered.

What?

10 hours ago, AUDynasty said:

It's confidence, but I cringed when I read this. If Holsey truly believes that (which we all hope this is the case), then why don't we keep it to ourselves? Let our on-field production do the talking. Don't need to offer bulletin board material for our opponents.

I don't think opponents would care what a former player said at all...We just don't need anyone on the team doing what rudy did...

I don't see why this is news....what else is he going to say. I just hope everybody on here believes it and runs with it

Archived