Kyle Davis

aubiefifty

Auburn receiver Kyle Davis 'getting back to his old self'

The early reports continue to trickle in on Auburn receiver Kyle Davis this summer -- and they continue to be positive.

Davis missed all of spring while dealing with what coach Gus Malzahn described as "personal business," but rejoined the team last month for the start of summer classes. With Auburn in the midst of summer workouts, Malzahn relayed some of the early reports he has received on the sophomore receiver's progress with strength and conditioning coach Ryan Russell.

"Hearing really good reports," Malzahn said Thursday before his Ambush tour speaking event on Lake Martin. "I'm hearing really good reports from Coach Russell and everyone around."

As a freshman in 2016, Davis was Auburn's third-leading receiver. He caught 12 passes for 248 yards and a pair of touchdowns while appearing in all 13 games.

During his time away from the team, Davis became "a little bit more mature," according to wide receivers coach Kodi Burns, who added that the 6-foot-2, 213-pound bettered himself in the spring.

Neither Burns nor offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey expressed concern last month about Davis being too far behind or having to play catchup by the start of fall camp, believing that the young receiver would have ample time to acclimate himself to the intricacies and terminology of Lindsey's revamped offense this summer.

The other concern regarding Davis' return was his conditioning and how much ground he would have to make up this summer, but those seem to be assuaged at this point of the summer.

"This past week I heard he's looking good and getting into shape and getting back to his old self," Malzahn said.

KD has a lot of tools to be a great WR.. glad to have him back and I look forward to big things from him

31 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

He's got a long ways to go to get back in good graces he just needs to keep it up

28946.jpg

• WarTiger changed the title to Kyle Davis
1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

Glad Kyle is back and things seem to be looking up for him.

Indeed.

22 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

He's got a long ways to go to get back in good graces

I thought he was taking care of "personal issues"?  That statement indicates he was not in good graces for some reason.  Spill it.:yes:

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

I thought he was taking care of "personal issues"?  That statement indicates he was not in good graces for some reason.  Spill it.:yes:

Is skipping spring practice because of "personal issues" not enough to get him in bad graces?

58 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Is skipping spring practice because of "personal issues" not enough to get him in bad graces?

Umm no. Not if it was because of an ailing family member like some people were trying to push.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Umm no. Not if it was because of an ailing family member like some people were trying to push.

I agree but I don't argue with golf. 

24 minutes ago, alexava said:

I agree but I don't argue with golf. 

You should, its fun

29 minutes ago, DAG said:

If that's the case, then I agree, but it's only speculation that's what it was. We may never know, but we can agree it's good to have him back.

Burns Comments may be more telling than anything.  Personal reasons or good graces... "He's more mature". Is my indicator of what the concerns may have been geared around.  

If he keeps his nose clean, and sticks with the program, he should be able to regain some trust and earn his way back into the good standing with the coaches. Subtlety will be the key.

On 6/11/2017 at 7:23 AM, EclecticTiger said:

If he keeps his nose clean, and sticks with the program, he should be able to regain some trust and earn his way back into the good standing with the coaches. Subtlety will be the key.

This. Kyle plays game one if he does this. 

Wishing the best for Kyle,we do have the same intials KD   .:cool:

I firmly believe Kyle contributes game 1. Have been told he has changed in good way since returning. I say changed I mean has corrected his issues. I don't believe he starts game 1, but he will start Clemson if he keeps up good work.

Archived