Malzahn on Stoops Retirement

aubiefifty

Gus Malzahn reacts to retirement of Bob Stoops, who coached last game against Auburn

Updated on June 8, 2017 at 10:48 PM Posted on June 8, 2017 at 7:10 PM

The last of 190 career wins Bob Stoops accumulated in his coaching career at Oklahoma came against Auburn in the Sugar Bowl.

Gus Malzahn coached against Stoops in that game and he reacted to Wednesday's news that the Sooners coach was retiring after 18 years with the program.

"First of all, of course he's in recent time one of the best head coaches in the country," Malzahn said. "What he did with the program is really unbelievable. I know he's very well respected in the coaching community and he'll be missed."

Oklahoma won the 2000 BCS National Championship under Stoops, who wet 190-48 at OU, and won 10 Big XII titles.

The Sooners won their last four games against SEC teams under Stoops, beating Alabama and Auburn in the Sugar Bowl and Tennessee in back-to-back years.

• WarTiger changed the title to Malzahn on Stoops Retirement

I imagine Gus' reaction was "NOW, he retires....?"

27 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I imagine Gus' reaction was "NOW, he retires....?"

It was actually more of a "why are you asking me about this? I have my own team to think about and I've met this guy once, when we were shaking hands after a game I'd rather forget because I, once again, had no QB." 

Archived