Replacing Bohannon

The short list currently is said to consist of three:

1. Chuck Jeroloman - Former Auburn shortstop, current Jacksonville University recruiting coordinator after two years as an assistant at TCU.

2.  Karl Nonemaker - Former Vandy outfielder, spent three years as an assistant at Auburn under Tom Slater;  current recruiting coordinator at Old Dominion.

3.  Mitch Gaspard - Former bammer head coach, currently an assistant at Kansas State.

Any of these guys would be a terrific addition to this staff each for a variety of (different) reasons.  The quality of these guys indicates to me a head coach who is eminently aware of every detail.  

9 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

The short list currently is said to consist of three:

1. Chuck Jerloman - Former Auburn shortstop, current Jacksonville State recruiting coordinator after two years as an assistant at TCU.

2.  Karl Nonemaker - Former Vandy outfielder, spent three years as an assistant at Auburn under Tom Slater;  current recruiting coordinator at Old Dominion.

3.  Mitch Gaspard - Former bammer head coach, currently an assistant at Kansas State.

Any of these guys would be a terrific addition to this staff each for a variety of (different) reasons.  The quality of these guys indicates to me a head coach who is eminently aware of every detail.  

Thanks POD, if you have time- strengths of each?

Jeroloman - Knows Auburn...very young but he is going to be a superstar coach.  Spent seven years in the grind of the minor leagues.  First two years as an assistant he did just about everything for Jim Schlosnagle at TCU (who I happen to think is one of the three or four best head coaches in college baseball right now).  Primarily assisted with infielders and catchers and assisted with hitting.  Spent the last two years as recruiting coordinator at Jacksonville University (not State as I inadvertently posted earlier).  Very well connected in the state of Florida and the the pro game.

Nonemaker - Knows Auburn and the SEC...very intelligent (garnered academic honor roll honors at Vandy four straight years).  Currently coaches outfielders and assists with hitting and baserunning at ODU and has done a phenomenal job pulling in talent in Virginia which is a baseball hotbed.

Gaspard - Knows about Auburn and spent 17 years as an assistant and head coach in Tuscaloosa.  Very clearly understands the college game and how to run every aspect of a program.  Coaching strength is on the offensive side and is a very good evaluator of talent with strong connections to the high school and summer ball programs.  

Chad Holbrook who resigned as head coach from South Carolina last week may also be in the mix.  This is the guy who made Ray Tanner the AD at SC.  May be one of the best recruiters in the history of SEC baseball...compiled the talent that won back to back national championships.

Thompson could not go wrong with any of these guys...this will only be an upgrade (no disrespect to Brad Bohannon who did a great job while he was here).

AUBURN | It’s a homecoming of sorts for Karl Nonemaker.

The former Vanderbilt All-SEC outfielder and Auburn assistant is returning to the SEC and Tigers as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator.

Nonemaker was hired by Auburn third-year coach Butch Thompson to replace Brad Bohannon, who was named Alabama’s head coach last week.

“We got everything we were looking for in Karl Nonemaker,” Thompson said. “We wanted someone with experience coaching and playing in the SEC, someone who is a great recruiter that could work with our hitters, and someone who is a great family man. Karl is all of that.

“He was an outstanding hitter in the SEC, he has a brilliant mind and he has been a successful recruiter and offensive coach. Karl has been at Auburn, and understands Auburn. That’s very important. We’re very excited to welcome Karl and his family to Auburn.”

Fzinmftpwyjalbiopwj5
Nonemaker will be a key recruiter for the Tigers.
ODUSports

Nonemaker, who spent the previous six seasons at Ole Dominion, got his coaching career started at Auburn from 2004-06 on Tom Slater’s staff, which included Thompson as pitching coach. He also spent two years at Monmouth and two years with Louisville Slugger.

“I am extremely grateful to Auburn University for giving me this opportunity and to Coach Thompson for believing in me,” Nonemaker said. “It is kind of surreal that I get to come back to Auburn, the place where I got my first coaching job, at such an exciting time. I understand the expectation at Auburn and can assure the players, coaches, and Auburn family that they will get my very best.”

A four-year starter at Vanderbilt from 1999-02, Nonemaker was a freshman All-American in 1999 and first-team All-SEC outfielder in 2000. His .415 batting average as a freshman in 1999 is the 15th best single-season average in SEC history (min. 200 AB) and ninth-best mark in the conference in the last 20 years (min. 200 AB). Nonemaker ranks second in career batting average (.369) and hits (283) for the Commodores.

A 20th-round draft choice of Philadelphia in 2002, Nonemaker went on to be a member of the Phillies Gulf Coast Championship team in 2002, and in 2003, split the year between the Lakewood Blue Claws (Single-A) and the Reading Phillies (Double-A).

A native of Roxbury, N.J., Nonemaker was a four-time SEC Academic Honor Roll selection, graduating from Vanderbilt with a degree in Human and Organizational Development in 2002. He and his wife Katie have two daughters, Ellie and Ainsley.

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/thompson-adds-nonemaker-to-staff

This is how all coaching hires should go, Butch Thompson continues to lay the foundation for this program to have long term staying power. A lot of very highly qualified guys wanted to be on Thompson's staff in this position. Don't be surprised to see some great talent from the coastal Virginia area coming to the plains, and watch and see how our outfield play improves (I'll be watching to see Jeremy Johnson become a gold glover for starters). This is an outstanding hire on so many levels...great get Butch, can't wait 'till February '18. 

• 2 weeks later...

AUBURN | The hiring process went about exactly how Butch Thompson expected.

Just one week after the end of Auburn’s season, Thompson tabbed Karl Nonemaker as assistant coach and recruiting coordinator. Nonemaker, who was an assistant with Thompson at Auburn from 2005-07, was the top choice from the beginning.

“He had me at hello,” Thompson joked. “Being with Karl here a decade ago, I saw a man that's as sharp as a tack, Vanderbilt grad, led the SEC in hitting. I just knew he was going to be a great coach.

“You just know those things when somebody's got it. They've got all these intangibles that you know they're going to be good at whatever they decide to do. He made a mark on me from when I was first with him.”

Fzinmftpwyjalbiopwj5
Nonemaker is already out recruiting for Auburn.
ODUSports

Nonemaker spent the previous six seasons as an assistant and recruiting coordinator at Old Dominion, which was 37-21 this past season and had three Freshman All-Americans. The Monarchs had three players drafted last week.

“What he's done at Ole Dominion, I think he knows what a real player is,” Thompson said. “You can see how many players they had drafted, for them to finish second in Conference USA. Now I've seen him grow and build a resume where I feel like he can be an unbelievable recruiter. I think he's the next best recruiter to be identified, and the next best coach.”

Thompson made sure his players had a voice in the hiring process.

“I interviewed every player on the way back from Tallahassee on our bus and they wanted energy and they wanted a great recruiter,” Thompson said. “This isn't about press conference or anything else but what's the best fit for Auburn baseball and what will continue to help us get better.

“He's the best fit for us. It's a huge piece and there's an excitement. He's going to do great things for the program.”

Thompson said he received interest from more than 40 candidates for the position but only talked to four or five including former Auburn shortstop Chuck Jeroloman, who could be in line for the next staff opening.

Jeroloman, who has been an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Jacksonville University for the past four seasons, was a three-year starter at Auburn from 2002-04. He spent the first two years of his coaching career as an assistant at TCU.

“Chuck Jeroloman is the next rising star,” Thompson said. “He's probably two or three or four years younger than Karl but you can already see him doing good things. He's already been with (Jim) Schlossnagle at TCU, he's at Jacksonville, loves Auburn and put it on the line here. He's that next guy that just impressed me so much.”

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/nonemaker-can-be-unbelievable-recruiter-

Archived