Auburn Track finish 5th NCAA Outdoor Track

augolf1716

Not bad and its been a while if memory serves me right since Men has done this well

AUBURN, Ala. – The Auburn Track and Field men’s team secured a fifth place finish with 26 points on Friday at the 2017 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Eugene, Ore. On the week, the Tigers earned 12 first team All-American honors and four second team honors on the way to their highest team finish since 2008.

spacer.gif

“I am really proud of this team,” Auburn head coach Ralph Spry said. “This team competed hard and had a really good championship. We had a couple of injuries that hurt us a little bit, but I am proud of how these guys lined up. Overall, I am extremely proud of this team.”

“Finishing fifth in the nation is huge for us and it’s good to be back in the top-ten,” Spry said. “I am proud of these guys. We are bringing a good bit of this team back next year, so we should continue to compete at the highest level. I look forward to watching this team build on this year’s performance.”

Senior Teray Smith led the way for the Tigers scoring 11 points and earning three first team All-American honors in the 200 meters, 4x100 meter relay and the 4x400 meter relay. The senior finished seventh in the 200m with a time of 20.77. Smith wraps up his collegiate career with seven total All-American honors, which it tied for ninth all-time in Auburn history.

The men’s 4x100 meter relay opened the day with a bang, as Odean Skeen, Kahlil Henderson, Raheem Chambers and Smith ran 38.48 to finish second in the event. Their finish is the highest finish in the event since 1979 when Harvey Glance, James Walker, Willie Smith and John Lewter also finished second.

Freshman Nathon Allen earned first team honors in the 400 meters after bringing home silver with a time of 44.69, becoming the first Auburn male to earn All-American honors in the event since Avard Moncur in 2001. Fellow freshman Akeem Bloomfield chipped in four points with a 45.13 to finish fifth.

A junior from Jamaica, Skeen battled through an injury in the 4x100 meter relay to finish eighth in the 100 meters, earning his second first team All-American honor of the meet.

The Tigers capped off the night with an eighth place finish in the men’s 4x400 meter relay, as Randall Ceneus, Smith, Wellington Zaza and Allen earned first team All-American.

The Auburn women will wrap up the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships tomorrow as Marshay Ryan looks to cap off her Auburn career with a strong finish and the triple jump and Veronica Eder competes in the 5,000m. The women’s triple jump is set to begin at 5:40 p.m. CT, while the 5,000 meters starts at 7:25 p.m.

Archived