Site Issue: Ads

Barnacle

Just started to notice this yesterday, but we have some "streaming ads." They pop up in several parts of the page and generally play a 30 second video ad, with a script that says "Your video will begin in 29...28...27 seconds, etc." When the countdown gets to 0 - it restarts. The result is that my page is constantly "loading" and when the ads restart, the page will automatically scroll/jump down or up to the ad and away from whatever I am typing or reading at the time. Its very distracting - in fact the page has "jumped" about 6 times while I've been typing this, which means I'm having to scroll back to this text box so I can see what the heck I am typing. 

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem, or if its a problem with my browser - Chrome. 

On 6/13/2017 at 11:32 AM, stoic-one said:

Perhaps try installing adblock?

Somewhere, RIR is creating a voodoo doll with your name on it.

Also, while I am a fan of them, I have found them to eat up my CPU cycles at times. Depends on the browser and the ad block you are using but if you notcie a slowdown when using one, that might be the reason.

RIR can banish me if it comes down to it, I'm a man, I'm forty+.  ;)

I'm currently running Waterfox + ABP right now, I've had ad blockers bog my machine down in the past, but not with this current configuration.

Ads may support this site, but if they hamper usability that's where I draw the line.

• 4 months later...

Archived