aubiefifty

Pat Dye: Auburn wouldn't match Alabama's tradition in 500 years

Updated on June 14, 2017 at 6:47 AM Posted on June 14, 2017 at 6:39 AM

Gallery: Pat Dye through the years

7 shares

By Mark Heim

mheim@al.com

Pat Dye is at it again.

The former Auburn coach recently suggested his Tigers should be in the SEC East, while Missouri makes sense in the West.

Now, Dye, who led the Tigers from 1981-1992, said the Auburn Tigers should compete with rival Alabama on the field, even if it can't match the tradition of the Crimson Tide.

"Everybody in Alabama tends to gauge a program by what's going on in Tuscaloosa," Dye told The Paul Finebaum Show on Tuesday. "I was there. I don't look at our situation at Auburn comparing it to Alabama because you can't compare the two.

"We could play football for another 500 years and we couldn't catch up with the tradition Alabama has got, but that doesn't mean we can't have a good football program and a strong football program. It doesn't mean we can't have football teams that recruit good enough to beat Alabama on occasion." 

The Tigers have won just two Iron Bowls since 2008.

"There's no question we can win here at Auburn," he said.

Last month, Dye had the SEC talking when he suggested Auburn should move to the West. In fact, he said Auburn shouldn't let Alabama dictate what the Tigers do.

"I'm fixing to make a statement that won't be a popular statement, I guarantee you," Dye said last month. "I'd rather see Auburn in the East than us play Alabama every year. I know the Iron Bowl, (and) I'm not the least bit afraid of Auburn playing Alabama. We can play them on a rotating basis like everyone else."

Dye said Auburn recruits in Alabama, Georgia and Florida, so being in the East is a natural fit. He pointed out the Tigers don't recruit Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi.

"We don't need to let Alabama dictate what we do at Auburn," Dye said. "That's what happened when they divided the teams up in the conference."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's right about the tradition part. And he is right about competing against them. We are 9-8 vs Bama this century, and dead even since Dye arrived or Bear retired. Tubs was 7-3 vs them, and Saban is 7-3 vs us.  We compete with them quite well over the past 4 decades. They are enjoying their greatest run and we've played for two National Championships during it. We will be back on top again, and soon. WDE!

If Auburn counted National Championships like UAT does the tradition wouldn't be as far apart as some think. 

24 minutes ago, gr82be said:

If Auburn counted National Championships like UAT does the tradition wouldn't be as far apart as some think. 

This. SO MUCH THIS! I wish I could like this as many times as bama claims something! lol.... Auburn should count those. It is not like West Vance is the only school to do something like this. So many schools have followed suit. You take your lumps for a couple days if that. The media has a little fun with you and eventually people just accept it as fact that you have that many national titles eventually. This is not hard. But since bama was one of the first I guess??? to do this our LBS PTB are so worried how they would be perceived because it would look like we are "copying" the school across the state. WGAF?! We have more National Championships than 2! Your doing a disservice to those teams by caring so much about what others think. Grow the heck up. Auburns tradition stacks up with almost any school out there. We are a fringe blue blood. Just on the cusp of it.

49 minutes ago, gr82be said:

The thing is, that's not what makes up "tradition" in most people's minds.  Tradition in college football is based on fabricated perception that is perpetuated by the sports media. What has Notre Dame done lately?  NOTHING.  Still they are one of the most respected programs in the country because of "tradition". Penn State, Michigan, USC, Texas... I could go on.  These teams are always going to get more respect than Auburn partially because they were winners back in the day, partially because they own the media for their region, so they are placed on a pedestal, and partially because they have giant fan bases mostly made up of people with no actual connection to the school.  Other than one National Championship way back in the day, Auburn didn't make waves in modern media times until the 80s... a full decade after most of these teams cemented their reputation. Now they all use the media, the NCAA, and anything else they can get their hands on to make sure they keep their reputation and upstarts who try to join their ranks like Auburn, Baylor, Oregon, etc never stay around long.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The thing is, that's not what makes up "tradition" in most people's minds.  Tradition in college football is based on fabricated perception that is perpetuated by the sports media. What has Notre Dame done lately?  NOTHING.  Still they are one of the most respected programs in the country because of "tradition". Penn State, Michigan, USC, Texas... I could go on.  These teams are always going to get more respect than Auburn partially because they were winners back in the day, partially because they own the media for their region, so they are placed on a pedestal, and partially because they have giant fan bases mostly made up of people with no actual connection to the school.  Other than one National Championship way back in the day, Auburn didn't make waves in modern media times until the 80s... a full decade after most of these teams cemented their reputation. Now they all use the media, the NCAA, and anything else they can get their hands on to make sure they keep their reputation and upstarts who try to join their ranks like Auburn, Baylor, Oregon, etc never stay around long.

I do not think I have ever and will ever agree with you more than I do right now! lol  BRAVO SIR! BRAVO! word for word you are undefeated in this post like Lavar Ball in pick up games! lol TAKE A DANG BOW! giphy.gif

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Love Coach Dye but time for him to be sent out to pasture

Careful...  Last time I said something like this I about got run off the board.  Love what he has done for the university and his love for AU.  

Pat Dye is just another old man that can't keep his mouth shut.    He doesn't know his place in the world anymore.    If he were half the coach and half the AD that people think he was, AU would be enjoying the best run in athletics that have never been seen before at auburn 

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

Pat Dye is just another old man that can't keep his mouth shut.    He doesn't know his place in the world anymore.    If he were half the coach and half the AD that people think he was, AU would be enjoying the best run in athletics that have never been seen before at auburn 

Do not know what your deal is Baseball but the man could Coach. Had a very good run under him. I doubt you were around Pre-Dye. If you were then you are a real loner when it comes to what that group thinks of Coach Dye

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

Coach Dye turned East Carolina into a winner when they had abysmal resources. Then he went to Wyoming and won. Then he inherited an AU program on probation and mired in an 8 game Iron Bowl losing streak. He proceeded to win one third of the SEC Championships during his 12 year tenure, winning 6 Iron Bowls including 4 in a row. Along the way he coached a Heisman winner and had a winning record against Bobby Bowden. So, yeah he could coach. As far as keeping his mouth shut, I would agree with you if he told a lie. He didn't. When he spoke of tradition he wasn't referring to school pride or Tiger Walk or the pregame Eagle flight. He was referring to games won and Championships won. Bama is way ahead of us in both. That fact doesn't diminish my love for Auburn or pride in my school in any way. Being an Auburn fan is way bigger than that. War Eagle!

I wish Pay Dye would pack up his football and go liven his farm. With thee part of his statement, I can't believe he said this. "We could play football for another 500 years and we couldn't catch up with the tradition Alabama has got, but that doesn't mean we can't have a good football program and a strong football program. It doesn't mean we can't have football teams that recruit good enough to beat Alabama on occasion." We can only beat Alabama on occasion. Now that's showing real faith towards Auburn.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Coach Dye turned East Carolina into a winner when they had abysmal resources. Then he went to Wyoming and won. Then he inherited an AU program on probation and mired in an 8 game Iron Bowl losing streak. He proceeded to win one third of the SEC Championships during his 12 year tenure, winning 6 Iron Bowls including 4 in a row. Along the way he coached a Heisman winner and had a winning record against Bobby Bowden. So, yeah he could coach. As far as keeping his mouth shut, I would agree with you if he told a lie. He didn't. When he spoke of tradition he wasn't referring to school pride or Tiger Walk or the pregame Eagle flight. He was referring to games won and Championships won. Bama is way ahead of us in both. That fact doesn't diminish my love for Auburn or pride in my school in any way. Being an Auburn fan is way bigger than that. War Eagle!

Good post. If this was in the form of a multiple choice question then the answer would be all of the above. I do wish Dye would say less though. I choose the remember his best years at Auburn. He was definitely the best man for the job during the 80's. He should have won 2 NC's during his time. 

Tradition covers everything. Not only the modern era, which is basically an imaginary line in the sand. Why everyone wants to look back at the 70s and compare it to everything since then has always confused me. Yes, Dye got AU out of a giant slump, but AU had as much tradition as about anyone before that slump. Many great teams and tradition are just forgotten about. He is right that you can not compare the traditions, but not because UA is that much better. They are very different and built up by many coaches and players. If we calmed all we could and gave respect to past teams, like we should things would look very different. They can have what they call tradition and I will take  the College I graduated from and the tradition that comes with it! War Eagle!

He definitely changed the culture at Auburn in the 80s. I will always appreciate what he did for our football program. But geez Coach Dye- never have their tradition in 500 years?? I wish he would just enjoy his farm and let us remember him in his glory years. 

Obviously I can't speak towards might-a-beens and what-ifs and "tradition" means different things to different people.  However, I can tell you one fact about Pat Dye, like him or not... He brought the AU/UA game to the Auburn campus.  

In my opinion Auburn people will always owe him a debt of gratitude for that.

4 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Do not know what your deal is Baseball but the man could Coach. Had a very good run under him. I doubt you were around Pre-Dye. If you were then you are a real loner when it comes to what that group thinks of Coach Dye

I was around and remember the times in the seventies.   It was a time of one of the greatest runs by a university, sort of like the run that is happening now.  Dye is owed a debt of gratitude in that he put the two universities back on a level playing field.    Brought the game to auburn and won several sec championships and probably a national title if it was given to most deserving of teams.   But Dye also lost way more games then he should have and bobby Bowden was just getting fsu going. 

Dye was also the AD and sunk no money into other sports.   AU had perhaps the worst facilities in the SEC besides the football stadium. 

10 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I was around and remember the times in the seventies.   It was a time of one of the greatest runs by a university, sort of like the run that is happening now.  Dye is owed a debt of gratitude in that he put the two universities back on a level playing field.    Brought the game to auburn and won several sec championships and probably a national title if it was given to most deserving of teams.   But Dye also lost way more games then he should have and bobby Bowden was just getting fsu going. 

Dye was also the AD and sunk no money into other sports.   AU had perhaps the worst facilities in the SEC besides the football stadium. 

5 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Pat Dye is just another old man that can't keep his mouth shut.

ok, whatever. 

Think Coach is out to Pasture. When he speaks of tradition he could really care less about it. Revisit his early days here. Message was and has always been clear. Quit the hell worrying about Tuscalooser.

Still fun listen to.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Think Coach is out to Pasture. When he speaks of tradition he could really care less about it. Revisit his early days here. Message was and has always been clear. Quit the hell worrying about Tuscalooser.

Still fun listen to.

He's basically Barkley. Love them both for what they did for and to Auburn athletics; but there are times when they both need to keep their mouths shut. 

Archived