phil steele talks auburn

aubiefifty

Phil Steele explains why Auburn is in playoff picture, 'revolves around the Alabama game'

Updated on June 14, 2017 at 1:39 PM Posted on June 14, 2017 at 12:05 PM

Phil Steele's College Football Preview doesn't his newsstands until June 27.

However, you can pre-order and download the preseason publication.

In the 352 pages of college football data, Steele writes:

"They have top-10 talent, which makes them a legitimate title threat, but also have a schedule that includes road trips to Clemson, LSU and (Texas) A&M. Still, they host 'Bama and with an upset of the Tide, they could be back in the mix to make the playoffs."

That's right, Auburn fans, Steele sees Gus Malzahn's Tigers in a position to make the College Football Playoffs.

Steele joined me on The Opening Kickoff on WNSP-FM 105.5 on Wednesday morning, and was asked about that statement.

"A lot of it revolves around that Alabama game," Steele explained. "The one big thing for Auburn the last couple of years is they haven't had a quarterback."

He pointed to the hype of Jeremy Johnson two years ago on The Plains and the disappointment that followed that season.

"(Jarrett) Stidham is coming in with the same type of hype, but I like Jarrett Stidham," he said. "He's a guy that can throw. He is somewhat mobile. He won't be your typical Auburn quarterback that runs a lot. But you don't have to when you have (Kamryn) Pettway and (Kerryon) Johnson in the backfield."

Steele calls Auburn's offensive line one of the "most veteran in the country" and loved the Tigers' defense this season. Steele ranks the defensive linemen (10th), linebackers (14th) and defensive backs (11th) as top-15 units in the country.

Throw in the seventh-ranked special teams unit in the country and a schedule that sees Clemson early, Steele said Auburn has a little room to maneuver.

"I worry about the trip to Death Valley," Steele said. "They can slip up against LSU. If they beat Alabama, they can get there. They are one of the more experienced teams in the SEC.

"If Stidham lives up to the hype, I believe they fall into that category."  

He went on to say Auburn is the "second or third team in the SEC" behind Alabama and, potentially, Florida.

Check out more at WNSP.com.

Florida is a Qb away from being pretty good and they may have gotten one.  That LSU, Arkansas, TAMU road trip run in the middle of the season will make or break this team.  Losing a hard fought game at LSU may set up a let down the next week at Arkansas.  Same if Auburn wins a close game against LSU.  First half of the schedule is pretty manageable even with going to Clemson.  As always that Miss State game will set the tone.

AU top n SEC.  Bama will have issues with Hurts at qb this year. Teams have a year of film and the running will be neutralized. Stidham is a stud, KP best back in SEC running behind top 2 OL n SEC. WR will be very productive this year. NCM will breakout and have a big year along with potentially Slayton and Davis with Our version of Julian Edelman and Stove being players at the slot.  WR is our biggest question mark on offense and it may have the most overall talent as far as position wise. Defense will be salty again. As I said best secondary in SEC as long as we don't get the injury bug, veteran studs returning at lb and the defensive line will be stout.  We lost 2 NFL players but Brown will breakout, Davidson we saw last year is a stud, Russell is very solid, and watch out for Paul James. This doesn't include studs like Big Cat and TD who will contribute early.  Also I expect Byron to finally be a player for us after lofty expectations as the number 1 player out of hs. He has stuck with us and his attitude has went from bad to very good. Also we have best kicker in the country which will be big in close games this season.  As you can tell I expect big things. War Eagle can't wait until September! 

23 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

As you can tell I expect big things. War Eagle can't wait until September! 

I like it. I like it a lot!

29 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

KP best back in SEC running behind top 2 OL n SEC. WR is our biggest question mark on offense and it may have the most overall talent as far as position wise. 

You really think receiver is a bigger question mark than offensive line? I mean, I think we've got 3 really talented returning starters on the line, but so far we've heard zero definitive answers on filling in the holes and if the starters are going to even be able to maintain the positions they had last year. Receiver, on the other hand, everyone showed that they were capable, if not very good, last year, and should only be better this year.

I'll be honest, if I was confident about our line, I'd be predicting a national championship run.  Problem is that I'm not.

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

AU top n SEC.  Bama will have issues with Hurts at qb this year. Teams have a year of film and the running will be neutralized. Stidham is a stud, KP best back in SEC running behind top 2 OL n SEC. WR will be very productive this year. NCM will breakout and have a big year along with potentially Slayton and Davis with Our version of Julian Edelman and Stove being players at the slot.  WR is our biggest question mark on offense and it may have the most overall talent as far as position wise. Defense will be salty again. As I said best secondary in SEC as long as we don't get the injury bug, veteran studs returning at lb and the defensive line will be stout.  We lost 2 NFL players but Brown will breakout, Davidson we saw last year is a stud, Russell is very solid, and watch out for Paul James. This doesn't include studs like Big Cat and TD who will contribute early.  Also I expect Byron to finally be a player for us after lofty expectations as the number 1 player out of hs. He has stuck with us and his attitude has went from bad to very good. Also we have best kicker in the country which will be big in close games this season.  As you can tell I expect big things. War Eagle can't wait until September! 

uat's success hinges n their OL and front 7 on defense. Hurts will only get better or Tua will step in. Only way uat isn't good enough on offense is if the OL somehow isn't good. 

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

You really think receiver is a bigger question mark than offensive line? I mean, I think we've got 3 really talented returning starters on the line, but so far we've heard zero definitive answers on filling in the holes and if the starters are going to even be able to maintain the positions they had last year. Receiver, on the other hand, everyone showed that they were capable, if not very good, last year, and should only be better this year.

I'll be honest, if I was confident about our line, I'd be predicting a national championship run.  Problem is that I'm not.

We have a plan be patient.  It will sort out and be a strength.

4 hours ago, jared52 said:

uat's success hinges n their OL and front 7 on defense. Hurts will only get better or Tua will step in. Only way uat isn't good enough on offense is if the OL somehow isn't good. 

The lost their best OT and probably best in SEC last few seasons.  I don't know if Jonah is a LT, he is better suited for RT.  IMO OL at bama will be strong but not as dominant as past few seasons.

10 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

We have a plan be patient.  It will sort out and be a strength.

It was sorted out by injury last year.  Who's sorting it this year?;D

In 2003 I was in the north end zone of Jordan Hare when USC came in and whipped our tails. Then in 2015 I drove home from  Atlanta wondering how a coaching staff could correct all the mistakes and shortcomings I had seen in a very ugly win. Excuse me guys if I temper my expectations until I see these boys play. Hope the experts have it rIght this time

I want to see them play a game before I say we are ready for a championship run.But we definitely have a lot of the pieces in place to have a very good team.10 wins or more.

On 6/15/2017 at 5:08 PM, lionheartkc said:

OT is the biggest question mark in my mind. But I think Chip will scheme around some of the problems in pass protection. Ashley coming in overweight was a huge blow. Run blocking isn't a concern. 

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

OT is the biggest question mark in my mind. But I think Chip will scheme around some of the problems in pass protection. Ashley coming in overweight was a huge blow. Run blocking isn't a concern. 

Gotta be honest, I would rather him be needing to lose weight than be needing to gain it. Also, I'm thankful he's here and not in those god awful Maryland flag unis.

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Gotta be honest, I would rather him be needing to lose weight than be needing to gain it. Also, I'm thankful he's here and not in those god awful Maryland flag unis.

Agree. 

Also, how is it calculated that we have 100+ combined OL starts? Is that including the grad transfers?

Smith: 27 starts

Golson: 24 starts

James: 9 starts

Archived