Best AU WR ever (besides Beasely)?

GwillMac6

I think this is a interesting discussing about a position that you do not normally associate Auburn with. Me and my friends were trying to figure this out the other night and all of us had different answers. This could go so many different ways. This arguably without doing any deep dive research may be our weakest position ever when it comes to churning out great or even good college players. For my money I will go with Courtney Taylor. I think he still (not that anyone has threatened him since) holds some AU receiving records that will probaly hold for awhile.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lawyer Tillman was,  to quote Coach Dye, A Hoss !!!

8 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Lawyer Tillman was,  to quote Coach Dye, A Hoss !!!

Certainly fun to watch

^Probably so, though I hold a special place in my heart for the '04-5 crew of Mix, Aromashadu, Obomanu and Taylor.

Darvin Adams was a total clutch, and Coates was a (somewhat inconsistent) burner. It sucked that our D was too inept but he had one helluva game in 2014 in Turdistan.

10 minutes ago, AUwent said:

^Probably so, though I hold a special place in my heart for the '04-5 crew of Mix, Aromashadu, Obomanu and Taylor.

Darvin Adams was a total clutch, and Coates was a (somewhat inconsistent) burner. It sucked that our D was too inept but he had one helluva game in 2014 in Turdistan.

Duke Williams! Ha! Nah I'd go with Ronnie Daniels or Courtney Taylor. Poor Sammie would have been a lot more productive, but we seemed to have QB's with poor depth perception, during his run. 

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

Duke Williams! Ha! Nah I'd go with Ronnie Daniels or Courtney Taylor. Poor Sammie would have been a lot more productive, but we seemed to have QB's with poor depth perception, during his run. 

hey hey leave my man Nick out of this! lol. Coates hands did not particularly help his case either in this matter!

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

hey hey leave my man Nick out of this! lol. Coates hands did not particularly help his case either in this matter!

I love Nick as much as the next guy, but that's dude overthrough so many dudes on long passes.

Terry Beasley:  All time leading receiver for Auburn in yards (2,507 yards), touchdowns (29), and third in receptions (141).

Since we can't count Beasley > Jimmy Phillips:  All-American WR for Auburn (also got Auburn their first NC) and led the NFL in receptions in 1961

8 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I love Nick as much as the next guy, but that's dude overthrough so many dudes on long passes.

Coates should of dove more! He surely would of caught some of those! haha.

He may not have been the best, but Darvin Adams was my favorite. He was the definition of clutch. He didn't have a ton of highlights, but when you needed to pick up >5 yards, he would get open and make the catch.

Terry and Pat are the reasons I'm an Auburn fan to this very day.I was just a kid when they played and I fell in love with them and Auburn football.But to the OP Taylor and Tillman would be my next favs,they were both very good and clutch when the game was on the line.

Duke made some catches that I've never seen another Auburn WR make.

DA made save-the-season catches against UK and the turds.

Poor Emory Blake picked one of the worst times possible to come to AU.

Courtney picked one of the best possible times to come to AU.

Sammie was the most athletic Auburn WR I've seen. 

Frank Sanders was the best Auburn WR I've seen.

We have a couple guys on the roster who could be better if they apply themselves and the offense is friendly to them. 

(I did not see Beasley.) 

Frank Sanders; he absolutely ate Florida and Alabama's db's up in 93.

Agree with others about Frank Sanders.

Hopefully there will be a few on this team over the next few years that will creep into this conversation.

Frank Sanders but I also have to give a mention to Freddy Weygand. Old schoolers like me will remember him. His yards per reception (99 total) were higher than some of the names mentioned, just under 20 yards per catch. I thought he was the second coming of Beasley back then. I had to look up the numbers but he was as good as I remember. 

10 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Frank Sanders but I also have to give a mention to Freddy Weygand. Old schoolers like me will remember him. His yards per reception (99 total) were higher than some of the names mentioned, just under 20 yards per catch. I thought he was the second coming of Beasley back then. I had to look up the numbers but he was as good as I remember. 

Weygand was a talent, for sure. I played against him in high school (though not very well) and he was deceptively fast. 

18 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I cannot rank, but certainly worthy of mention.

Frank Sanders' NFL resume probably dominates every other AU WR's so I gotta go with him. He actually had 2 separate 1000 yard receiving seasons in the NFL while in AU history we have only had 2. Should I laugh or cry at this?

But if I'm not mistaken we lead the SEC in most 1000 yard rushers?

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Duke made some catches that I've never seen another Auburn WR make.

DA made save-the-season catches against UK and the turds.

Poor Emory Blake picked one of the worst times possible to come to AU.

Courtney picked one of the best possible times to come to AU.

Sammie was the most athletic Auburn WR I've seen. 

Frank Sanders was the best Auburn WR I've seen.

We have a couple guys on the roster who could be better if they apply themselves and the offense is friendly to them. 

(I did not see Beasley.) 

Spot on post loof 

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Agree with others about Frank Sanders.

Hopefully there will be a few on this team over the next few years that will creep into this conversation.

Got my money on NCM.

Archived