Best AU WR ever (besides Beasely)?

GwillMac6

Ronnie Daniels may not have been 2nd best but he made one of the best plays i've seen. In the 1999 41 to 7 win at LSU, he took a pretty hard lick at about the 20 after a long catch and run. Fumbled, And had the presence of mind to get up, trail the play, pick up the fumble at about the LSU 2 and step into the endzone. 100% effort.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SumterAubie said:

Ronnie Daniels may not have been 2nd best but he made one of the best plays i've seen. In the 1999 41 to 7 win at LSU, he took a pretty hard lick at about the 20 after a long catch and run. Fumbled, And had the presence of mind to get up, trail the play, pick up the fumble at about the LSU 2 and step into the endzone. 100% effort.

That was an AWESOME play. I wish I could find it on youtube, but unfortunately it's not on there as far as I can tell. He got clobbered and during the scuffle for the ball he somehow ended up with it in the endzone. That was a hell of a game too. Total beat down, on the road too! And it was early in the year when we still thought Ben Leard would continue being the sophomore version of himself.

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

That was an AWESOME play. I wish I could find it on youtube, but unfortunately it's not on there as far as I can tell. He got clobbered and during the scuffle for the ball he somehow ended up with it in the endzone. That was a hell of a game too. Total beat down, on the road too! And it was early in the year when we still thought Ben Leard would continue being the sophomore version of himself.

3.22 mark

2 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

thank you for finding this!!!

Also video evidence of Les Miles NOT inventing that particular fake FG.

Since the question posed is "best", gotta go with Frank. No question really. 

Favorite for me is Lawyer though. I was 85 in middle and high school because of him. 

In my lifetime either Frank Sanders or Ronney Daniels.  Ronney was very overlooked for the little things he did on the field and helped that 2000 team incredibly.  Definitely set the edge and who could forget that blood letting we gave UGA in Athens.  Granted he only played one season for Auburn but that season set the stage for the Tuberville run that we were gonna beat you up in every aspect of the game, offense, defense, and special teams.  

"Best" is tough... Most of the great AU receivers I've witnessed were underrated since that was not Auburn's forte.  Tough call between Tillman & Sanders.  Both made crushing game-winning plays against big rivals.

However, I'm gonna go with Tillman because he was on my favorite team (86 Tigers), made the biggest play in my favorite game (the reverse) and was Duke before Duke was even born... without getting in the doghouse.

War Eagle!

I like these type threads, brings back good memories. I gotta agree that Sanders is the answer.

Everyone else talking about Daniels got me to thinking about some of the WR guys on that '97 team. Bailey and Goodson were the headliners, but my guy Hicks Poor was another one of those clutch players. I remember Hicks making a couple clutch catches in the final drive to beat LSU in Red Stick, a catch to make the winning FG in the Iron Bowl alil easier, and sneaking behind that UT defense in the SECCG. I remember you Hicks, my kinda guy!

Guest WarEagleSteve

I have a couple of thoughts on this one: 

-The 04-05 Obomanu, Aromashodu, Taylor triumvirate is, for my money, the best trio of receivers I've seen at Auburn. 2009-2010 Adams, T-Zach, Blake is a close second. 

-Darvin Adams wasn't the most talented but he was EASILY the most consistent I've seen. I can't remember an Auburn receiver who could get open and make the tough catch on 3rd and long as reliably as he could. 

-From a pure talent standpoint, Sammie Coates probably should've owned most Auburn receiving records by the time he left. He still produced but I would argue that he absolutely could've done more 

-Also, Rodriguez Smith (remember him!?) does not get NEARLY enough credit for turning in a 50 catch, 700 yard season in 2007 despite Al Borges' phoned-in playcalling and having freshman Kodi Burns and the ghost of Brandon Cox throwing him the ball. 

In my lifetime, which is relatively short, Duke had the most potential to take the title from the old cats. If he has Stidham throwing to him back in 2014, dude easily gets 1,500 (and doesn't get hurt). I don't know about Sammie because Sammie just made things more difficult than need be too often. 

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

...and who could forget that blood letting we gave UGA in Athens.

For one game, Daniels was it.  I sat in Sanford Stadium that night in November of '99 just gloating...that was the best (non-Heisman guy) performance I've ever witnessed.

Nine receptions for 249 yards and two TD'.

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Where is the Karsten Bailey love??  my vote, dude brought his lunch box every week

we soured on him a lot after those crucial drops at the worst time. :[

8 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Hicks Poor

I would definitely vote him for best named receiver. Always thought how he must have caught heck in school during roll call. Teachers saying last name first and all. 

Lawyer Tillman has to get some consideration. He would catch anything thrown near him. His end around in the '86 Iron Bowl to win the game was priceless.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Terry was the first and the very best Auburn WR.

I'm so glad you read titles.

Archived