Best AU WR ever (besides Beasely)?

GwillMac6

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm so glad you read titles.

I was more impressed that Pat Sullivan won a Heisman throwing to Auburn's first wide receiver. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frank Sanders is probably the answer but I'll say that Duke Williams had some of the most God-given ability to catch the football I have ever seen in a college wide-receiver. Many have blocked it out due to the score, but the 2014 Alabama game was one of the most incredible games I ever saw a college wide receiver play. He made multiple catches in that game that just flat out should not have happened. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I was more impressed that Pat Sullivan won a Heisman throwing to Auburn's first wide receiver. 

"Imagine, if you will,..."

Thing I like most about Taylor was the fact that he was another diamond in the rough player . Ppl forget , he converted to WR in colllege. He played QB and corner in high school .

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

Thing I like most about Taylor was the fact that he was another diamond in the rough player . Ppl forget , he converted to WR in colllege. He played QB and corner in high school .

And could dunk on anybody in a high school basketball game.  I witnessed his showcase when South Choctaw?? played against Maplesville High School in the playoffs his senior year. 

52 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

And could dunk on anybody in a high school basketball game.  I witnessed his showcase when South Choctaw?? played against Maplesville High School in the playoffs his senior year. 

Taylor played high school ball for Carrollton. Pickens County School now closed.

4 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Taylor played high school ball for Carrollton. Pickens County School now closed.

Yes.  It was Carrollton.  Thanks for the reminder.  Those hops he had proved fruitful on his 4th down catch against LSU that saved that TD drive. 

40 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

100% Catch Rate with a touchdown on every catch!

If we want to play that game,

didn't Mr. Marshall lead the '13 team in YPC?*

*no TDs, but bonus points for catching your own pass?

6 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Frank Sanders is probably the answer but I'll say that Duke Williams had some of the most God-given ability to catch the football I have ever seen in a college wide-receiver. Many have blocked it out due to the score, but the 2014 Alabama game was one of the most incredible games I ever saw a college wide receiver play. He made multiple catches in that game that just flat out should not have happened. 

Yeah he was incredible... Currently he's playing for the Edmonton Eskimos in the CFL. I really don't see how he couldn't make an NFL team.

7 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Yeah he was incredible... Currently he's playing for the Edmonton Eskimos in the CFL. I really don't see how he couldn't make an NFL team.

I know he and he alone was a part of his own PERSONAL downfalls but it just feels like Au lately outside of 2010 and 2013 our guys draft stock falls rather than rises. We do not maximize their nfl potential and they slide or do not get drafted at all. I remember going in to his senior season Duke was projected to be the number 1 SENIOR WR in the draft according to todd and mel.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I know he and he alone was a part of his own PERSONAL downfalls but it just feels like Au lately outside of 2010 and 2013 our guys draft stock falls rather than rises. We do not maximize their nfl potential and they slide or do not get drafted at all. I remember going in to his senior season Duke was projected to be the number 1 SENIOR WR in the draft according to todd and mel.

Yep him getting off the team didn't help but I expected as soon as he got on a team he would display all his on field talents that he showed for us on the rams. I still hope for the best from him.

It was probably 1957 1st team All American Jim "Red" Phillips. I didn't see hm play at Auburn and stats from that time don't compare well to modern times when colleges throw a lot more, but Phillips was special. He stuck in the NFL for 10 seasons, played in three pro bowl games and was named 1st team all- pro at WR. He also had number of rushing attempts each year he was in the league and did some kick returning. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PhilJi00.htm

On 6/16/2017 at 10:30 PM, GwillMac6 said:

we soured on him a lot after those crucial drops at the worst time. :[

Ugh. SEC Championship Game. 

Still, Karsten Bailey was as productive as any WR in our history. Being DC's favorite target is no small thing.

21 hours ago, waaegl said:

No mention of Byron Franklin?  Solid college career for the time and represented well with the Bills. 

Yeah but...

He dropped the game winning touchdown at LSU.

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

It was probably 1957 1st team All American Jim "Red" Phillips. I didn't see hm play at Auburn and stats from that time don't compare well to modern times when colleges throw a lot more, but Phillips was special. He stuck in the NFL for 10 seasons, played in three pro bowl games and was named 1st team all- pro at WR. He also had number of rushing attempts each year he was in the league and did some kick returning. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PhilJi00.htm

And if I remember correctly he was also a helluva DE while at Auburn

guys I saw...For raw talent...Freddy Weygand, for pure hands...Dick Schmaltz and Trey Gainous, for pure speed... Alvin Bresler and Ace Wright...BUT I would throw Frank Sanders and Lawyer Tillman in a sack and take whichever one came out for all-around ability

Guest WarEagleSteve

Also, Darvin Adams obliterating the SEC Championship game receiving yards record despite dropping at least one and, if I remember correctly, possibly two walk-in touchdown passes (that would've given him the Auburn record for single game receiving yards) is worth a mention. 

For whatever an outside perspective might provide, a recently completed poll at another site found:

“Wide Receivers: Terry Beasley (78 percent) and Frank Sanders (34 percent)… Second Team: Tillman (28 percent) and Jimmy “Red” Phillips (18 percent)”

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-all-time-team-vote-results

On 6/16/2017 at 4:26 PM, SumterAubie said:

3.22 mark

Thanks for posting that. AUsome game!!!

Oh, and btw, my favorite AU WRs other than Beasley (a little before my time) would be:

1. Frank Sanders

2. Lawyer Tillman

3.  Courtney Taylor

4. Ronnie Daniels

Archived