Best AU WR ever (besides Beasely)?

GwillMac6

1) Frank Sanders - Great athlete, clutch performer, great hands

2) Terry Beasley - Deep threat, great hands, great speed

3) Darvin Adams - Not big enough, not fast enough, not strong enough, never understood how he always seemed to get open.  I was always shocked the very few times he dropped a pass, the model of consistency.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/17/2017 at 6:42 PM, GwillMac6 said:

I know he and he alone was a part of his own PERSONAL downfalls but it just feels like Au lately outside of 2010 and 2013 our guys draft stock falls rather than rises. We do not maximize their nfl potential and they slide or do not get drafted at all. I remember going in to his senior season Duke was projected to be the number 1 SENIOR WR in the draft according to todd and mel.

I couldn't believe he wasn't even drafted. He has the talent and body type to be a big time NFL Receiver and even though he had off the field issues, I'm so surprised a team really didn't take much of a chance. It seems like he learned his lesson and actually still has a lot of love and respect for AU if you follow his twitter. I know he got some time with the Rams for a bit but man he could be really good, IMO.

Weygand is underrated.  He just made play after play.  And was clutch.   And Tillman for the end around to win the game against the turds (as aforementioned).   I know JFIII is fast but Alexander Wright would win on the field.   Wright could outrun sunshine I believe. 

Alvin Bresler , my HS coach, was underrated because he was the "other" receiver. 

If it's 4th down and somebody has to go up and come down with the ball, I'd throw to Lawyer over anybody.

4 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Dick Smaltz

We have had some very cool names in our AU program over the years but this one has to be the worst.

*Edit correct spelling is Shmalz but still I think it holds on to the top or bottom spot -- depending on how you look at it.

24 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We have had some very cool names in our AU program over the years but this one has to be the worst.

*Edit correct spelling is Shmalz but still I think it holds on to the top or bottom spot -- depending on how you look at it.

Oh dear. Smaltz was WAY better.

I bet ol' Dick was the toughest SOB in every room he ever walked into. Whoo-wee. 

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh dear. Smaltz was WAY better.

I bet ol' Dick was the toughest SOB in every room he ever walked into. Whoo-wee. 

Oh yeah. I'm sure he was tried early and often.

On 6/16/2017 at 1:13 PM, gr82be said:

Frank Sanders but I also have to give a mention to Freddy Weygand. Old schoolers like me will remember him. His yards per reception (99 total) were higher than some of the names mentioned, just under 20 yards per catch. I thought he was the second coming of Beasley back then. I had to look up the numbers but he was as good as I remember. 

I fully agree. I remember thinking the same about Freddy.

Hard to pick one. My picks are

Frank Sanders, Tim Carter, Alexander Wright, Courtney Taylor, and Ronnie Daniels.

He isn't one of the best we have had but those guys + Anthony Mix and NCM isn't one of the best yet, but all of those are my favorites

I know this won't be a popular post, and it wasn't the question, but one I couldn't stand was Karsten Bailey. Seemed everytime he was thrown an important pass he would miss it. I know he made a ton of catches but he always seemed to drop the important ones. Seems like I remember a big time drop or two in the 97 SEC Championship.

7 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I know this won't be a popular post, and it wasn't the question, but one I couldn't stand was Karsten Bailey. Seemed everytime he was thrown an important pass he would miss it. I know he made a ton of catches but he always seemed to drop the important ones. Seems like I remember a big time drop or two in the 97 SEC Championship.

As a proud owner of an orange shadowed #5 jersey it saddens me to agree with you here

i think terry beasley is the best. sure we got great guys that played over the years but i am not sure anyone put his body on the line as much as terry. i have seen so many pictures of him being drug off the field by teammates back before they had docs on the field etc. he would basically get knocked out cold and come back in later and make plays. and i cannot stress how much abuse he took. heck he is paying the piper right now. i have not heard any update since someone asked to send him letters and cards when he was in the hospital. and yes i am one of those that think terry made pat look better than he was and pat was pretty good as well.

Guest WarEagleSteve
19 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Tommy Trott will forever be the worst TE in Auburn history to me for this exact reason. I swear that dude dropped every single 3rd down pass thrown his way. 

26 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

Tommy Trott will forever be the worst TE in Auburn history to me for this exact reason. I swear that dude dropped every single 3rd down pass thrown his way. 

lol it seem like it

18 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

Tommy Trott will forever be the worst TE

He was definitely the most over rated recruit in history.  Couldn't block a lick either.

1. Terry Beasley

2. Frank Sanders

3. Courtney Taylor

4. Lawyer Tillman

5. Tyrone Goodson

6. Ronnie Daniels

7. Karsten Bailey

8. Freddy Weygand

9. Darvin Adams

10. Emory Blake

1 hour ago, TigerWar said:

1. Terry Beasley

2. Frank Sanders

3. Courtney Taylor

4. Lawyer Tillman

5. Tyrone Goodson

6. Ronnie Daniels

7. Karsten Bailey

8. Freddy Weygand

9. Darvin Adams

10. Emory Blake

11. Trovon Reed

12. Kiehl Frazier

13. Antonio Goodwin 

21 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

We always called him Tommy Tw.....wait, it's a family board.

Archived