US Prepares to Deport Hundreds of Iraqi Christians

AUUSN

Nahidh Shaou could be deported any day now.

As a Christian and a veteran of the US military, being forcibly returned to Iraq—a homeland he hasn’t seen since he was five years old—could prove to be a death sentence.

Until April of this year, Iraq had not accepted deportees from the United States since 2010. That policy changed when one of President Donald Trump’s early executive orders included Iraq on a list of seven countries targeted with a temporary travel ban. As part of the deal to be removed from the list, Iraq agreed to begin taking deportees again.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2017/june/us-prepares-deport-iraq-chaldean-christians-ice-shaou.html?visit_source=twitter

17 hours ago, AUUSN said:

Nahidh Shaou could be deported any day now.

As a Christian and a veteran of the US military, being forcibly returned to Iraq—a homeland he hasn’t seen since he was five years old—could prove to be a death sentence.

Until April of this year, Iraq had not accepted deportees from the United States since 2010. That policy changed when one of President Donald Trump’s early executive orders included Iraq on a list of seven countries targeted with a temporary travel ban. As part of the deal to be removed from the list, Iraq agreed to begin taking deportees again.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2017/june/us-prepares-deport-iraq-chaldean-christians-ice-shaou.html?visit_source=twitter

Shameful 

Trumps entire presidency is dedicated to reversing anything Obama did. That's what his base wants him to do, though. They are literally trying to erase Obama from history. I wonder why that is? Hmmm. 

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Trumps entire presidency is dedicated to reversing anything Obama did. That's what his base wants him to do, though. They are literally trying to erase Obama from history. I wonder why that is? Hmmm. 

You pretty well nailed it for me. Good for Trump. The Obama presidency was shameful.

5 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

You pretty well nailed it for me. Good for Trump. The Obama presidency was shameful.

Yeah!  Good for Trump!  Send these folks to an almost certain death sentence to make some malcontents happy!  Who needs morals from our leaders?  Morals are for sissies.

59 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Yeah!  Good for Trump!  Send these folks to an almost certain death sentence to make some malcontents happy!  Who needs morals from our leaders?  Morals are for sissies.

If true (not sure it is) I don't agree with that.

8 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

If true (not sure it is) I don't agree with that.

From the story (and Christianity Today is hardly some bastion of liberal bias):

“He’ll be targeted for his Christian faith, his Chaldean ethnicity, his veteran status—that will be seen as traitorous,” said Tiara Shaya, Shaou’s niece and one of his primary advocates. “The big giveaways will be not being able to speak Arabic and not having an ID.”

ISIS’s reign of terror aimed at Christians and other minorities in Iraq and Syria—a phenomenon that President Trump, the Obama administration, and Congress have referred to as genocide—is perilous for anyone in its path. With no Iraqi papers, no connections, and an American accent, Shaou’s future would be doubly dangerous.

“I see it as a death sentence,” said Shaya. “I really don’t know how he could survive with the combination of targets on his back.”

The problem with both Obama and Trump is both used ideology instead of looking at each instance separately. We need immigrants and we need border security.  We are seeing in areas like Long Island being impacted by MS-13 when Obama and DHS had no plan when we had the huge influx of underage kids. Some were ID'd as MS-13 at the time but were still let in.No tracking no follow up and we have problem areas. My wife who is originally from El Salvador has family in Long Island who came here the right way and have lived in Long Island for over 20 years looking at moving to get away from the gang violence. We are trying to convince them to sell their homes and move to Texas. 

Now Trump who trying to live up to his campaign promises is removing common sense from the process. If you look at the examples in this article most of these people should not be deported.

I personally believe we need better security at our borders not just to stop flow of illegal immigrants but to slow down things like the drug trade. We also need to deal with the people who are here illegally but have become contributing members of our society. We don't have the capability to send millions back and it would be inhumane to break up families if we tried to. We have tried to deal with this issue in the past with Amnesty programs with the idea that we would then do a better job of stopping illegal immigration. We never followed through with the stopping. 

If we do another Amnesty type program it has to be different than in the past. Instead of giving these people a green card w give them a Yellow (any color would work) Card this would allow them to stay, get a social security card and apply for a green card. They would be on the waiting list for the green card just like somebody outside of the country who applies. With a yellow card they could not sponsor other relatives living outside of the US. They would have one year to register and apply for the yellow card if caufght after that year without havng applied they would be deported. To qualify for the yellow card they would have to have lived here a certain number of years (TBD) have no serious criminal record, etc. They could not go onto welfare.

Increased border security will help but would only be one small piece of the steps we would need to stop illegal immigration. We need better workplace enforcement  with penalties for businesses that hire illegals. Businesses that are repeat offenders will start out with fines but can also require jail time if they keep offending.We need to give employers tools so that they can really determine if a person is legal or illegal. If employer is using the tools and somebody gets by them no penalty they followed the rules. The tools would need to be improved. If we can dry up the job market for illegals then the number one reason for people coming here illegally will have been ameliorated.

The Government provided tools should verify if the social security Number is legitimate  (one example person is not dead) it should compare the birth date on the application with the social security numbers birth date and it should verify if that number is being used in multiple locations. It is possible to work a couple of jobs but a red flag should go up if the SS# shows me working in Ca., Tx, and Fl.  at the same time.

We also need to do targeted immigration. As an example the H1B Visa program which has been abused to get over qualified people here by claiming they are less qualified so they can undercut American salaries.  Instead of H!B Visa bring these people here as green card Visa where they can compete for senior level jobs and have an equal stake in keeping salaries competitive. If companies really need the skilled labor they can bring them in if they are doing it to cut costs once the people arrive they can apply at another company 1 year after arriving with no strings attached.

Iraqis are rounded up and deported from the US. What's behind it all?

It was 2 in the morning, on Wednesday, April 19 when a small plane took off from Alexandria, Louisiana. On it, were eight Iraqis. Raied Jabou was one of them.

"I was shackled, I was handcuffed all the way until I landed in Baghdad," he says over a WhatsApp conversation from Iraq. "When the plane started landing, then they removed the shackles from my feet and handcuffs around my waist and from my hands."

Jabou is one of about 1,400 Iraqis caught up in a deal that was struck between the US government and Iraq. After negotiations last March, the US removed Iraq from its so-called "travel ban." One condition was that Iraq accepts nationals the US wants to deport. Iraq agreed.

The process of removing Iraqis started with the first plane back in April. More recently, US immigration officials have been arresting Iraqis in Michigan and other states. This has created chaos and fear in the community. More so for the Iraqi Christian community called the Chaldeans.

Jabou is Chaldean. He's lived in the US most of his life. He doesn't speak Arabic and doesn't know anyone in Iraq. "When I got to Baghdad I was very scared," he explains.

At the airport in Baghdad, he was handed over to an Iraqi general. Jabou says he couldn’t contact his family for three days. He didn’t have a phone. Eventually, he asked the Iraqi general if he could use his phone to call his mom in the US.

"When he heard my mom and my sister yelling and crying, the guy automatically started crying," he says. According to Jabou, the Iraqi general worried about his safety. And he had reason too. Jabou was flown to an area near Mosul — where the fight between ISIS and coalition forces is full on. It was the only place he knew someone, a friend of a friend.

Jabou thinks he's a prime target for kidnappers. "I know 1 million percent that I would be kidnapped and killed," he says. "Because to them I am an American and I'm a Christian. Born in Iraq but raised in America."

Like many of the Iraqis detained recently by US immigration agents, Jabou has a nonviolent criminal record. He was arrested for marijuana possession 17 years ago. He did not spend time in prison for that charge but lost his green card as a result. The US deported him to Iraq in 2005. Then he was allowed back, after he helped the US Army in Iraq. (He did not want to go into detail about the nature of his assistance to the military.)

But one day last year, as he was driving to work, he was picked up by Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents. He spent almost a year in jail. With no end in sight for his detention, Jabou removed his right to appear before a judge. He was deported on April 19.

"What do you want me to do in jail?" he asks, "Can some of these motherf***ers go and stay in jail one night and see what it looks like in jail?"

If Jabou uses strong language, it's because he feels betrayed. He wasn't the only one in his family to have helped the US government. His daughter is serving as an active US Marine in Japan.

Jabou says he had put the marijuana issue behind him long ago. "I'm no rapist. I'm no murderer. I'm no criminal," he says, furious.

His deportation as well as the recent arrests have shaken his community in Michigan. Metro Detroit is home to about 121,000 Chaldeans, according to the Chaldean Community Foundation. Many of them left Iraq over the years, the foundation says, in search of better job opportunities as well as religious and political freedom. Now, some could be sent back to the very country they, or their parents, fled.

"People are absolutely losing it," says Eman Jajonie-Daman, a lawyer who represents about 25 Iraqis who face deportation. "Families are distraught. I'm getting calls nonstop that they just picked them up. Some they go to their work, some they attack them at 4 in the morning from their homes and pluck them right out of bed from their families."

Jajonie-Daman, who's Chaldean herself, says initially she thought the immigration officials would only go after the most violent of criminals. "But now, they're picking up people without any criminal record. As a matter of fact, I have one of my clients who was picked up last week and he doesn't even have a traffic ticket, let alone a criminal record," she explains.

An official from ICE wrote in an email that all the Iraqis who were put on the April flight to Baghdad "were afforded full due process under the law and were removed consistent with the judge's orders in each case."

Read the rest of the report at: https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-06-16/iraqis-are-rounded-and-deported-us-whats-behind-it-all

There's simply no excuse for this other than cruelty.  And any Christian who defends this needs to repent.  This is pure evil.

Jajonie-Daman, who's Chaldean herself, says initially she thought the immigration officials would only go after the most violent of criminals. "But now, they're picking up people without any criminal record. As a matter of fact, I have one of my clients who was picked up last week and he doesn't even have a traffic ticket, let alone a criminal record," she explains.

#MAGA

5 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

There's simply no excuse for this other than cruelty.  And any Christian who defends this needs to repent.  This is pure evil.

It's on the moral representative of our country - Trump.  

If you support Trump, you support this.

16 hours ago, AUUSN said:

#MAGA

A Hispanic family in our community had their mom deported. Can you imagine how frightening this was for her children? I cannot see these acts as anything more than blatant racism. 

2 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

A Hispanic family in our community had their mom deported. Can you imagine how frightening this was for her children? I cannot see these acts as anything more than blatant racism. 

I totally understand why you would be upset by deportation of a mother but it is not racism here is an article on an Irishman that is being deported.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/undocumented-irishman-faces-deportation-from-boston-35550424.html

Because of the numbers of illegals from Latin American countries it can give the appearance of racism.  Like you I am upset when any family is broken up. I want to protect our borders enforce our laws but also prevent families from being broken up. It is not easy to do.

There have been 7 separate Amnesty programs since 1986 usually with bi-partisan support with idea that we would then not allow any more illegals into the country.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/undocumented-irishman-faces-deportation-from-boston-35550424.html

We are deporting people from many different countries because of the huge influx of illegals from Central America and Mexico we are seeing many more people from these countries being deported but it is do to numbers not racism. It is to easy to always try and explain things in a simplistic manner by saying racism. 

My wife is from El Salvador and I know many people from the immigrant community both legal and illegal. Every one of the illegal people I know are good people. Over the years I have helped many people fill out forms to aid them in becoming legal I have even sponsored one gentleman who came here as a young person with his father married a legalized American citizen bought a house and had two kids. He was deported but with my sponsorship we were able to allow him to get a green card and return to Texas legally.

Economically this country could not survive with open borders so we do have to protect our borders, we need a proper vetting process so we can weed out the criminal elements, this is a complicated issue made worse by sensational stories on both the left and the right the illegal who kills or rapes somebody, the good person who is deported breaking up a family. These stories polarize people on both sides so we can't find the common ground we need to really address the issue in a fair humane manner that also protects the interest of our country.

15 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I totally understand why you would be upset by deportation of a mother but it is not racism here is an article on an Irishman that is being deported.

Because of the numbers of illegals from Latin American countries it can give the appearance of racism.  Like you I am upset when any family is broken up. I want to protect our borders enforce our laws but also prevent families from being broken up. It is not easy to do.

There have been 7 separate Amnesty programs since 1986 usually with bi-partisan support with idea that we would then not allow any more illegals into the country.

We are deporting people from many different countries because of the huge influx of illegals from Central America and Mexico we are seeing many more people from these countries being deported but it is do to numbers not racism. It is to easy to always try and explain things in a simplistic manner by saying racism. 

My wife is from El Salvador and I know many people from the immigrant community both legal and illegal. Every one of the illegal people I know are good people. Over the years I have helped many people fill out forms to aid them in becoming legal I have even sponsored one gentleman who came here as a young person with his father married a legalized American citizen bought a house and had two kids. He was deported but with my sponsorship we were able to allow him to get a green card and return to Texas legally.

Economically this country could not survive with open borders so we do have to protect our borders, we need a proper vetting process so we can weed out the criminal elements, this is a complicated issue made worse by sensational stories on both the left and the right the illegal who kills or rapes somebody, the good person who is deported breaking up a family. These stories polarize people on both sides so we can't find the common ground we need to really address the issue in a fair humane manner that also protects the interest of our country.

I'm not saying it's racism because people are being deported. I understand the reasons for border security and deportation. I'm calling it racism because of the administration who is executing this. I'm calling it racism because of the police I know giddily bragging on FB about how many people her unit has rounded up. I'm calling it racism because of words like "Muslim ban" and "defunding sanctuary cities." I'm calling it racism because of the fact that David Duke and the KKK support this. I'm calling it racism because a Christian US vet is being deported. 

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

7 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

I'm not saying it's racism because people are being deported. I understand the reasons for border security and deportation. I'm calling it racism because of the administration who is executing this. I'm calling it racism because of the police I know giddily bragging on FB about how many people her unit has rounded up. I'm calling it racism because of words like "Muslim ban" and "defunding sanctuary cities." I'm calling it racism because of the fact that David Duke and the KKK support this. I'm calling it racism because a Christian US vet is being deported. 

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

And you can call something racism but that doesn't make it so either. 

What does racism have to do with Muslims who consist of every possible racial group world wide?    And don't I recall Trump getting hammered because he hinted at giving favorable treatment to Christian refugees?  And  yet Obama was slammed for his indifference to Christian refugee issues..   http://www.christianexaminer.com/article/washington-times-excoriates-president-for-indifference-to-christian-persecution/49926.htm

Or then there is this:      https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/03/opinion/australias-immoral-preference-for-christian-refugees.html

So if we are actually going to have borders in this country...what do you propose to do with those who ignore them?   

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And you can call something racism but that doesn't make it so either. 

What does racism have to do with Muslims who consist of every possible racial group world wide?    And don't I recall Trump getting hammered because he hinted at giving favorable treatment to Christian refugees?  And  yet Obama was slammed for his indifference to Christian refugee issues..   http://www.christianexaminer.com/article/washington-times-excoriates-president-for-indifference-to-christian-persecution/49926.htm

Or then there is this:      https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/03/opinion/australias-immoral-preference-for-christian-refugees.html

So if we are actually going to have borders in this country...what do you propose to do with those who ignore them?   

I propose we do what we've been doing. Vetting has worked so far in keeping terrorism down. And deporting criminals is fine. Don't really understand what Australia has to do with this though.

I realize that there are people on these boards who have an affinity for Trump and feel the need to defend him no matter what. When a man can mock a disabled person, brag about sexual assault, insult a POW and a Gold Star family and still be elected POTUS, there is a serious problem. You can quote links all day long and it still won't change my mind about racism being involved. Now I know Trump is capable of overlooking race when lining his pockets, but like it or not there's a reason he was supported by Duke and the KKK. And it wasn't because he was going to make sure all white sheets are made in America. 

46 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

I propose we do what we've been doing. Vetting has worked so far in keeping terrorism down. And deporting criminals is fine. Don't really understand what Australia has to do with this though.

I realize that there are people on these boards who have an affinity for Trump and feel the need to defend him no matter what. When a man can mock a disabled person, brag about sexual assault, insult a POW and a Gold Star family and still be elected POTUS, there is a serious problem. You can quote links all day long and it still won't change my mind about racism being involved. Now I know Trump is capable of overlooking race when lining his pockets, but like it or not there's a reason he was supported by Duke and the KKK. And it wasn't because he was going to make sure all white sheets are made in America. 

Just saying that when you apply "race" as the cause of  every grievance you devalue the stigma of it..and the charge is meaningless.  As for the Aussies..was nothing  that the liberal bulwark New York Times found their preference for Christian refugees to be immoral.   So what should the U.S. position be ?

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

Just saying that when you apply "race" as the cause of  every grievance you devalue the stigma of it..and the charge is meaningless.  As for the Aussies..was nothing  that the liberal bulwark New York Times found their preference for Christian refugees to be immoral.   So what should the U.S. position be ?

I don't apply race to every grievance. Just this one. And once more, since you missed it the first time I said it- I think what we are already doing in regards to vetting is working. I don't think breaking up Hispanic families by deporting parents who don't have a criminal record is a good thing. I don't think sending Christian back to his home country of Iraq is a good thing either. 

3 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

I don't apply race to every grievance. Just this one. And once more, since you missed it the first time I said it- I think what we are already doing in regards to vetting is working. I don't think breaking up Hispanic families by deporting parents who don't have a criminal record is a good thing. I don't think sending Christian back to his home country of Iraq is a good thing either. 

OK...I accept that...once people are here it's hard to send them back....no doubt about that.  But the WH does not make all the individual decisions.....the previous administration deported far, far more people than have been deported thus far.   I think the big difference is that DT is making it harder for illegals to get to the US whereas BO did not enforce borders very well ...but apparently was quite willing to send them back.    So as I re-read you earlier note,...it's racism for DT ? but was not when BO deported 2 million illegals ?  

No doubt it is emotional when you look at individual cases and some decent people get swept up in the process..,but there is still the issue....they were here illegally and the US needs to control its borders.  

It is better for the US to never let them into the country than it would be to let them come in and then send them back.   You will argue the point I'm sure but in my view, better and more moral even to have strict enforcement of our borders, including a wall if necessary than to encourage people to risk their lives trying to sneak into our country illegally.   Apparently even the announced policy of tighter immigration standards as slowed the pace of illegal immigration which is a good thing in my view.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

OK...I accept that...once people are here it's hard to send them back....no doubt about that.  But the WH does not make all the individual decisions.....the previous administration deported far, far more people than have been deported thus far.   I think the big difference is that DT is making it harder for illegals to get to the US whereas BO did not enforce borders very well ...but apparently was quite willing to send them back.    So as I re-read you earlier note,...it's racism for DT ? but was not when BO deported 2 million illegals ?  

No doubt it is emotional when you look at individual cases and some decent people get swept up in the process..,but there is still the issue....they were here illegally and the US needs to control its borders.  

It is better for the US to never let them into the country than it would be to let them come in and then send them back.   You will argue the point I'm sure but in my view, better and more moral even to have strict enforcement of our borders, including a wall if necessary than to encourage people to risk their lives trying to sneak into our country illegally.   Apparently even the announced policy of tighter immigration standards as slowed the pace of illegal immigration which is a good thing in my view.

Trump is making it harder for illegals to get in? Please show me what legislation he has passed that's done this. Signing an EO doesn't count. 

You're seriously going to compare the previous administration which lasted 8 years to the current administrations 5 months number of deportations?  The difference between BO and DT is the rhetoric. Trump touted himself as the law and order candidate referring to Mexicans as bad hombres, rapists and thugs. He frequently referred to a Muslim ban ( this is xenophobic, rather that racist but still discriminatory) and when signing his EO didn't include the country from which the 9/11 hijackers were from. The Obama administration deported criminals not mother's. Comparing the two just seems to be a go to when one cannot defend Trump on an issue. 

My problem with Trump is that he uses a blunt instrument where a precision one is needed.  It's like discovering that your house has roaches in the kitchen so you lob a grenade in the room to kill it. The dude is a walking exhibit to the Law of Unintended Consequences because he doesn't think through how his tweets, executive orders and other blather on this subject affects real people.  And it mostly seems designed to look like he's doing something rather than really trying to implement a truly effective policy.  It isn't making the country any safer or saving jobs, but it lets him talk tough and his acolytes point to it and praise him to high heaven.

1 hour ago, GiveEmElle said:

Trump is making it harder for illegals to get in? Please show me what legislation he has passed that's done this. Signing an EO doesn't count. 

You're seriously going to compare the previous administration which lasted 8 years to the current administrations 5 months number of deportations?  The difference between BO and DT is the rhetoric. Trump touted himself as the law and order candidate referring to Mexicans as bad hombres, rapists and thugs. He frequently referred to a Muslim ban ( this is xenophobic, rather that racist but still discriminatory) and when signing his EO didn't include the country from which the 9/11 hijackers were from. The Obama administration deported criminals not mother's. Comparing the two just seems to be a go to when one cannot defend Trump on an issue. 

1 hour ago, GiveEmElle said:

No legislation was needed.....the laws exist just fine ...the previous administration was ignoring the laws.....all DT had to do was pass the word down to Border Patrol and ICE to start enforcing it...

And WOW...who would have believed this?  http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/28/politics/trump-deportations-slow/

As for the DT he listed the same countries that BO has shown when he did his orders some years ago...and which nobody seemed to raise any questions about.  I give you the chance show me some indication that you protested when BO issued his order back in 2011 and especially mentioned Iraq or complained when Obama was deporting Latinos by the millions.    And you mean to tell me that the 2.5 million deportees were all criminals....surely you must be joking?   Any legal violation was used ...traffic tickets or misdemeanors, ...   , https://www.thenation.com/article/why-has-president-obama-deported-more-immigrants-any-president-us-history/

As someone else posted...DT has a way of using a blunt instrument whereas BO tended do be more careful and did not draw attention to what he was doing.

Get your facts right and hammer away at DT....won't bother me....

Archived