Igbinoghene Boys Athlete of the Year

aubiefifty

Auburn signee Noah Igbinoghene soars to Birmingham Boys Athlete of the Year

Gary Estwick | gestwick@al.com

In an era of sports specialization, several multi-sport stars in the Birmingham region found a way to be… extra special during the 2016-2017 season.

Hoover’s Garrett Farquhar played quarterback on the Class 7A state championship football team and shortstop on the 7A state championship baseball team. Shelton State, here he comes!

Baniko Harley led Ramsay to the Class 6A football state title, the first football championship in Birmingham City Schools in more than four decades. Harley then played catchup on the basketball team, leading the Rams to the playoffs. Up next? Leading a college football turnaround at Austin Peay.

Noah Igbinoghene of Hewitt-Trussville, the son of former Olympians, soared, skied and scored above the competition on the football field and in track, field events. He won dominated the indoor and outdoor state meets in the long jump and triple jump, setting records. Auburn football took notice. War Eagle!

And the winner is…

Noah Igbinoghene of Hewitt-Trussville – insert claps here.

"For me, I just wanted to be different than everybody and do something like playing two sports at a very high level," he said.

Igbinoghene ended last fall on the football field with 55 catches for 712 yards and eight touchdowns, leading Hewitt-Trussville to a perfect regular-season record of 10-0. With receiving options like Igbinoghene on the field, Huskies outscored opponents 552-289.

Hewitt-Trussville defeated Oak Mountain 63-21 in the first round of the playoffs before falling 29-28 the following week to Gadsden City.

Igbinoghene moved on to indoor track where in a span of two days, he set Class 7A state records in the long jump (24 feet, ½ inch) and triple jump (50 feet, 3 inches).

Fast forward to outdoor track. Igbinoghene soared 23 feet, 11 inches to win the 7A boys long jump and won the long jump with a feat of 49 feet, 10.25 inches.

41 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Auburn signee Noah Igbinoghene soars to Birmingham Boys Athlete of the Year

Gary Estwick | gestwick@al.com

In an era of sports specialization, several multi-sport stars in the Birmingham region found a way to be… extra special during the 2016-2017 season.

Hoover’s Garrett Farquhar played quarterback on the Class 7A state championship football team and shortstop on the 7A state championship baseball team. Shelton State, here he comes!

Baniko Harley led Ramsay to the Class 6A football state title, the first football championship in Birmingham City Schools in more than four decades. Harley then played catchup on the basketball team, leading the Rams to the playoffs. Up next? Leading a college football turnaround at Austin Peay.

Noah Igbinoghene of Hewitt-Trussville, the son of former Olympians, soared, skied and scored above the competition on the football field and in track, field events. He won dominated the indoor and outdoor state meets in the long jump and triple jump, setting records. Auburn football took notice. War Eagle!

And the winner is…

Noah Igbinoghene of Hewitt-Trussville – insert claps here.

"For me, I just wanted to be different than everybody and do something like playing two sports at a very high level," he said.

Igbinoghene ended last fall on the football field with 55 catches for 712 yards and eight touchdowns, leading Hewitt-Trussville to a perfect regular-season record of 10-0. With receiving options like Igbinoghene on the field, Huskies outscored opponents 552-289.

Hewitt-Trussville defeated Oak Mountain 63-21 in the first round of the playoffs before falling 29-28 the following week to Gadsden City.

Igbinoghene moved on to indoor track where in a span of two days, he set Class 7A state records in the long jump (24 feet, ½ inch) and triple jump (50 feet, 3 inches).

Fast forward to outdoor track. Igbinoghene soared 23 feet, 11 inches to win the 7A boys long jump and won the long jump with a feat of 49 feet, 10.25 inches.

I believe that 49+ foot long jump is a new world record by about 20 feet?. Way to go Noah!

You know, I remember another Auburn receiver who was gifted with leaping ability, and he was mentioned prominently in a recent thread on here: Frank Sanders. If Igbinoghene comes close to reaching Sanders' heights, he'll be a real weapon out on the field for us!

42 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This guy impressed me more than any other Auburn signee in the Al/Miss all star game.

I noticed as well Mikey.  TD was pretty impressive in that game as well. Others looked good but those two were tops in that game.

On 6/18/2017 at 7:59 AM, fredst said:

I believe that 49+ foot long jump is a new world record by about 20 feet?. Way to go Noah!

Mistype should be Triple Jump

4 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Noah is gonna flood the SEC with his talent next year!!!

(Ok that sounds cheesier than it did in my head)

And maybe he'll score touchdowns in pairs. 

Archived