2017 College World Series

Things got off to a typical Omaha start....threat of rain off and on and some nervous but exciting baseball.

Oregon State  was trailing 5-2 when I left for an early dinner out with my wife ...but ended up winning 6-5.

And Florida State seemed to have LSU under control but eventually booted the game away with 3 critical errors.  One that might never occur again when a passed ball got by the catcher on strike 3 with a runner on first...who circled the bases as the catcher kicked the ball around and finally threw to first to get the batter......and no one covered home.  A couple more errors let in the winning runs.  LSU won 5-4 .

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2017-06-18/college-world-series-scores-bracket-and-live-updates-2017-ncaa

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

always great to see fsu lose.  Hopefully they play one more and go home.  I want Oregon State or Louisville to win it all.

Just think...we were 1 out from being here more than likely. Crazy game.

25 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

There was a super regional in the way also ....but I know what you mean. This year in college baseball , there did not appear to be any dominant teams .

Any team at the college world series probably has a reasonable chance of winning it 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

There was a super regional in the way also ....but I know what you mean. This year in college baseball , there did not appear to be any dominant teams .

Any team at the college world series probably has a reasonable chance of winning it 

I don't know about their schedule, but Oregon State at 55-4 and winners of 22 straight seems to be pretty dominant to me.

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

I don't know about their schedule, but Oregon State at 55-4 and winners of 22 straight seems to be pretty dominant to me.

Guess I figure they have to prove it....their SOS is in the 80s and their RPI # 1 based on the W-L.....

SO.....guess I'm still not declaring them the dominant team in Div 1...and I think one of their top pitchers was suspended over legal issue.

. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/rpi-live

Should be anyone's ball game

36 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Guess I figure they have to prove it....their SOS is in the 80s and their RPI # 1 based on the W-L.....

SO.....guess I'm still not declaring them the dominant team in Div 1...and I think one of their top pitchers was suspended over legal issue.

. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/rpi-live

Should be anyone's ball game

Yep.  We all know anything can happen in the post season.  There's never a sure thing. :lol: 

20 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Yep.  We all know anything can happen in the post season.  There's never a sure thing. :lol: 

yes there is

18 hours ago, autigeremt said:

A swing and miss, a called strike, a ground out, a foul out, a fly out. About a dozen things could've happened in Auburn's favor on that pitch vs a homer/triple in fsu's favor. And they get a dang triple.

Well Florida State just eliminated Fullerton 6-4.  Fullerton gave up 8 walks...did not play sharp baseball.

Couple hours from now Oregon State and LSU will play a winners bracket game.  Should be a good game.....see what the Beavers are all about. 

They have my vote....

9k=

5 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

What Oregon State did to LSU last night was not a fluke.  They are relentless on offense and precise on defense.  Anybody still not convinced?

DCvLjDqU0AA9QDj.jpg

I do not care one iota what their "rpi" was. Anyone that knows baseball, knows you dont go 56-4 with a 23 game winning streak unless you are one hell of a team. They really have to fall apart to not win this thing. They are unquestionably the best team. Personally, I like to see the best team win, so I hope they win it. This team losing would be a fluke, not them beating anyone.

OSU plays every facet of the game well. I think they will win it all, and I hope they do because of all the teams in Omaha they deserve it the most. The Beavers are the best team in college baseball right now. I'm amazed at how good they are because I hadn't seen them play until the Super Regionals.

Only slightly related but I notice the South Carolina and Tennessee jobs are still open.   Bama made a quick change as we know.....SEC baseball getting more demanding of coaches.

As for Oregon State...guess since rarely see any college baseball other than SEC....we sometimes forget that there are very good teams elsewhere and on the pacific coast, their games are almost never on TV in the south east.   Looking at their schedule and see that the only played a few games east of the Rocky Mountains.

The only thing that makes sense of a baseball team from Oregon being that good is that coaching really matters. If I were a young guy looking to get into coaching baseball, I would do everything I could to find out what Pat Casey and his staff are doing. As Belle said, every aspect of their game is tight.

And by the way, their number one starter (Heimlich) was not suspended. He voluntarily stepped away from the team.  OSU President Ed Ray has said he will be welcomed back as a student next fall. That situation is so toxic every MLB team passed on him. For forty rounds.  He's a junior that posted an 11-1 record with a less than 1.0 ERA

And yes, that's the same Ed Ray who headed up the NCAA committee that dropped the hammer on Penn State for the Jerry Sandusky debacle.  Also advocated against the PAC12 allowing athletes with serious criminal misconduct records from transferring into the conference.  Now both sides (victims and redemption advocates) are wanting to use the kid as a poster child.

Mean time all the baseball Beavers do is win. It's got to be gut wrenching for everybody involved.

59 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

The only thing that makes sense of a baseball team from Oregon being that good is that coaching really matters. If I were a young guy looking to get into coaching baseball, I would do everything I could to find out what Pat Casey and his staff are doing. As Belle said, every aspect of their game is tight.

And by the way, their number one starter (Heimlich) was not suspended. He voluntarily stepped away from the team.  OSU President Ed Ray has said he will be welcomed back as a student next fall. That situation is so toxic every MLB team passed on him. For forty rounds.  He's a junior that posted an 11-1 record with a less than 1.0 ERA

And yes, that's the same Ed Ray who headed up the NCAA committee that dropped the hammer on Penn State for the Jerry Sandusky debacle.  Also advocated against the PAC12 allowing athletes with serious criminal misconduct records from transferring into the conference.  Now both sides (victims and redemption advocates) are wanting to use the kid as a poster child.

Mean time all the baseball Beavers do is win. It's got to be gut wrenching for everybody involved.

It's hard to understand this whole thing.....failed to register as a "sex offender" when he moved to Corvallis which is a crime. Yet he pitched the entire season, neither he nor the team were penalized....and assuming he had properly registered, he would have been just fine.    The offense happened several years ago and guess it's going to be part of his life for a long time. So...will he be back on the Oregon State team next season?   So if he is properly registered, it seems he will be allowed to play regular season ..what then in the post season  ?  

There have been other cases where young athletes seemed to satisfy their legal obligations....fights or domestic violence charges for example....did what the courts required of them and started back to school.........and then later on schools were hammered for taking them back....like Joe Mixon.     

Isn't there a case to be made that once a kid "pays his debt to society" as they say...shouldn't that be the end of it as long as he stays out of trouble?  

53 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Isn't there a case to be made that once a kid "pays his debt to society" as they say...shouldn't that be the end of it as long as he stays out of trouble?  

Absolutely.

This hits very close to home for my family.  That kid appears to be doing everything he can to right the trajectory of his path (including voluntarily sitting out what will likely be a national championship run). I think the thing that is going to be most difficult for him to get past is the age of his victim at the time of the crime.  He was also pretty young and one thing that I've learned is that there is a case to made for youthful offender...some kids just don't mature at the level of their peers.  

Meanwhile, don't write off the gators.  Handling Louisville pretty well tonight though they have been in trouble a few times....

LSU hammering FSU right out of the box...up 5-0 in the 2nd.     Criminoles living on borrowed time....should be back in Tallahassee watching this game on TV.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

LSU hammering FSU right out of the box...up 5-0 in the 2nd.     Criminoles living on borrowed time....should be back in Tallahassee watching this game on TV.

me like..................................................................................................hope they never win a NC in baseball

Good thing LSU got the quick start....not been able to get to FSU since then although a new FSU pitcher is headed toward the mound with a runner on base.  5-2 in the to p of the 7th

Wow FSU got jipped on that final strike call. Would'be made the count 3-2 and another ball would've sent the tying run to the plate. I hate to see umpires end a team's season on a call like that. Although I'm pretty p'd at how dadgum lucky Florida State has been against us, I definitely don't like that 

3 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Wow FSU got jipped on that final strike call. Would'be made the count 3-2 and another ball would've sent the tying run to the plate. I hate to see umpires end a team's season on a call like that. Although I'm pretty p'd at how dadgum lucky Florida State has been against us, I definitely don't like that 

That strike was kind of questionable but the way the LSU  kid was throwing , I don't think anyone from FSU was a threat. 97 mph cut fastball was really something to watch. 

Another good elimination game tomorrow. 

Archived