2017 College World Series

Florida pushes the lead to 4-2 in bottom of 7th

LSU loses a runner ....nailed by a yard trying to steal 2nd which naturally is followed by a base hit up the middle....just got it through the infield but would have helped to have two runners on and one out rather than the reverse.

Singer has been struggling for several innings but UF has stuck with him and he wiggled out of that problem again. 

Interesting that Singer turned down 2nd round money from Toronto to attend UF.....that's a lot of money to forego...but looks like he will likely be a first rounder next year and has a chance for a CWS ring..

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For anyone who cares Florida took game #1 by 4-3 score.  Game #2 on Tuesday night.

I think Florida had to take Game 1. Now things get interesting with LSU bringing the big arms. Poche tomorrow and Alex Lange in game 3. Florida better sweep because it won't beat LSU in game 3 if it gets there unless Lange is uncharacteristically off.

25 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

He's almost as good as our #2 this season...just sayin'.

Give or take....but either one would be nice to have next year.  I worry about Mize's durability though...

Game #2 ready to ...and LSU back around to their two leading starters...Poche' tonight and Lange tomorrow if they can get that far.  

Seems they might have an advantage over UF in how the pitching has worked out.

Interesting that thus far in the series the home team has won 7 and the "visitors" have won 8.     UF is home.

Florida off to a 2-0 start...LSU errors not helping them...at this point LSU fortunate that they are not further behind...

LSU been dodging bullets all night...3 errors and almost double digits left on base but still only down 2-0 in the top of the 5th.    BUT...the UF pitcher doing a great job thus far and keeping the big LSU bats under control.

UF up 2-0 in top of 5th

LSU rallying in the 7th....one run in and 2 runners on base against the UF ace closer Byrne...the place is rocking...sounds like an LSU home game.

UF leading 2-1 and trying to hold on...

Well that was interesting....LSU just lost a run by a "runner interference" call at 2nd that had nothing to do with the play....UF tried to turn a double play....and runner slide wide of the base and umps called the violation.  Runner had scored from 3rd and has to go back so take the tying run off the board.

Instead the score remains2-1 and 2 outs with runner on third.

Typical LSU fans throwing stuff on the field in protest of the umps decision.

Well...a liner to center ends the inning and ends the rally and keeps UF in the lead.  

LSU failed to take advantage of no out scoring opportunities in 7th and 8th innings...if they lose they are gonna look back at a couple plays and wonder ...."why"?

Hit batter with bases loaded and UF adds another run....and a hit to left makes it 5-1

Florida swept LSU giving up 4 runs in two games.  Everybody knew what kind of pitching they had to start the season and it sure held up.  And AUBURN SWEPT THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

And as for the LSU fans being stupid, Jared Poche's father (who is a doctor) is credited for saving the life an 87 year man during game one.  At least this once somebody in purple and gold did right, that's nothing short of heroic.  

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/06/28/lsu-parents-save-unconscious-fans-life-at-college-world-series.html

35 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Florida swept LSU giving up 4 runs in two games.  Everybody knew what kind of pitching they had to start the season and it sure held up.  And AUBURN SWEPT THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

And as for the LSU fans being stupid, Jared Poche's father (who is a doctor) is credited for saving the life an 87 year man during game one.  At least this once somebody in purple and gold did right, that's nothing short of heroic.  

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/06/28/lsu-parents-save-unconscious-fans-life-at-college-world-series.html

LSU made a couple critical mistakes that seemed to turn the flow of the game....had chances twice to tie or go ahead and bad plays negated the runs....and you could almost see them die at that point.

2 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

And AUBURN SWEPT THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Feels like 2006 again doesn't it?

20 hours ago, AU64 said:

Hit batter with bases loaded and UF adds another run....and a hit to left makes it 5-1

I saw this when it happened. That was a bad call. The Florida batter didn't try to avoid getting hit, he just stayed in the batter's box and let the ball hit him. 

I was neutral in the series and didn't really care who won but watching some of game 2 last night, you could tell everything was going against LSU. They took a run away from LSU by rule because of runner interference but then Florida got rewarded with a run even though the batter didn't avoid getting hit. I can understand why LSU's team and fans were not happy with the umpire crew. 

But give Florida credit, they took advantage of the situation and showed why they were the best team this year.

34 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I saw this when it happened. That was a bad call. The Florida batter didn't try to avoid getting hit, he just stayed in the batter's box and let the ball hit him. 

I was neutral in the series and didn't really care who won but watching some of game 2 last night, you could tell everything was going against LSU. They took a run away from LSU by rule because of runner interference but then Florida got rewarded with a run even though the batter didn't avoid getting hit. I can understand why LSU's team and fans were not happy with the umpire crew. 

But give Florida credit, they took advantage of the situation and showed why they were the best team this year.

Stupidest rule in college baseball imo. If you are in the batter's box and get hit, shouldnt matter whether you tried to move or not. I assume it's a supposed "safety" issue, but it should be on the pitcher to not hit the batter. Wont change though, just my 2 cents.

10 hours ago, aubaseball said:

A batter doesn't have to get out of the way.   The only thing he can't do is lean into the pitch

Same rule as softball I guess but guys are not eager to hit by a 94 mph pitch and typically make an effort to get out of the way......but a change-up or slow curve?    I don't recall the pitch speed but in this case with the bases loaded, the guy obviously was willing to take one for the team...no matter what.

The game changer IMO was that slide at 2nd base...can't recall the last time I saw that called...technically it was right but took a run off the board than never got back there. ....huge momentum killer.

many moons ago. high school baseball. we were 6a state champs.   I played left and batted lead off. I might of got hit  by a pitch may be twice my last 2 years. 

our shortstop batted 3rd.  he would lean into a pitch at least every 3 games. 

I had no desire to get hit. ever.

On 6/29/2017 at 7:53 PM, lutzcammed said:

high school baseball. we were 6a state champs.

Where/when?

First time I ever saw a guy roll his shoulder into a pitch instead of trying to get out of the way was at Auburn.  There were a couple of guys from LBW junior college who had been taught that, I thought they were nuts (I roomed with one of them on my first road trip and found out he was).  It is now automatic when a guy jumps out of the way for everybody in the dugout to yell "wear it!".

50 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Where/when?

First time I ever saw a guy roll his shoulder into a pitch instead of trying to get out of the way was at Auburn.  There were a couple of guys from LBW junior college who had been taught that, I thought they were nuts (I roomed with one of them on my first road trip and found out he was).  It is now automatic when a guy jumps out of the way for everybody in the dugout to yell "wear it!".

butler high school. Huntsville.

Archived