VCU Guard Samir Doughty transferring to Auburn

Charhair

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am glad he is back I am just hoping it is not to soon. High Ankle injuries are easy to re-injure if not completely healed. I am speaking from personal experience from my days playing Rugby. Tape and a brace can only do so much.

was probably only 80% last night but I think you're looking at the starter for the whole season. Don't think Danjel just waltzes into the starting lineup bc this stud is just too good to keep off the court

2 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

was probably only 80% last night but I think you're looking at the starter for the whole season. Don't think Danjel just waltzes into the starting lineup bc this stud is just too good to keep off the court

You do know he was just a 3 star and only had offers from small schools right?? I'm just telling you before you make him your favorite player....

I liked what I saw out of Samir. But how we look against Washington will be way more telling of how we actually are and what kind of player he is. I liked how he attacked the basket and if he can do that and dump off to Wiley against our tougher comp it is going to add a nice element to our O. Harper is too small to be a real threat to finish at the basket but Samir looks like he can be the guy to truly force a hard help off of Wiley.

We were on fire vs S Alabama and they couldn't dream of matching our athleticism. So while, I'm glad we looked like we did, I'm ready for tomorrow night! I wish I could watch in person.

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

I liked what I saw out of Samir. But how we look against Washington will be way more telling of how we actually are and what kind of player he is. I liked how he attacked the basket and if he can do that and dump off to Wiley against our tougher comp it is going to add a nice element to our O. Harper is too small to be a real threat to finish at the basket but Samir looks like he can be the guy to truly force a hard help off of Wiley.

We were on fire vs S Alabama and they couldn't dream of matching our athleticism. So while, I'm glad we looked like we did, I'm ready for tomorrow night! I wish I could watch in person.

harper led the team in free throw attempts last year. Don't think he's "too small" to be a threat to finish at the rim. He has a knack at finding space in the lane and either gets fouled or makes the layup

19 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

harper led the team in free throw attempts last year. Don't think he's "too small" to be a threat to finish at the rim. He has a knack at finding space in the lane and either gets fouled or makes the layup

You're making it seem like I'm disparaging Harper and that is not my intention.

My point is a 6'4 ball handler attacking the rim stresses defenses more than 5'9 doing it. It's going to be fun having 2 guys with the ability to break down defenses with the ability to create

Doughty is really going to be good for AU. He can do it all.  Somehow we upgraded with him over Heron.  

With Doughty and Chuma being steady and Consistence forced,  it will allow Harper and Brown to move in and out of streaks.  When they are on,  we will be unstoppable,  when(if) they are off, we will be highly competitive and more than likely still win.   

5 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Doughty is really going to be good for AU. He can do it all.  Somehow we upgraded with him over Heron.  

With Doughty and Chuma being steady and Consistence forced,  it will allow Harper and Brown to move in and out of streaks.  When they are on,  we will be unstoppable,  when(if) they are off, we will be highly competitive and more than likely still win.   

Upgrade?? I don't see that, Herron just had 26 but he might be a better fit next to Brown with his high volume shooting.

I'm going to wait and see how he plays but if it were me I'd start doughty at 2 and DP at 3 when he comes back. And I'd let Brown come off the bench and he could gun all he wants in that role

12 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Heron would have flourished last night. He was a consisten drive-to-the-basket guy and AU needed that in a bad way at times. Granted it was a blow out, but lots of times, AU had a lot of trouble with the zone and a dribble penetration with some size would have made that much easier to deal with.

That said, I'm happy with Doughty for sure.

I'm curious as to how many people actually saw Doughty play before last night?

I'm sorry I mean before the season started. Gene said it was dumb to mix up days, he'd never do anything so stupid or remedial...he's still trying to learn when to use your and you're though

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I'm curious as to how many people actually saw Doughty play before last night?

Well, last night was, by my humble calculations, a saturday. AU played on Friday night. So yeah, a lot of people saw him play before last night. AU also played last Tuesday. So most people have seen him twice. Are you just purposely trying to be dumb now?

21 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Well, last night was, by my humble calculations, a saturday. AU played on Friday night. So yeah, a lot of people saw him play before last night. AU also played last Tuesday. So most people have seen him twice. Are you just purposely trying to be dumb now?

Dumb huh 🤔 Well a bunch of people say I know basketball on this forum....how many will vouch for you? What are you known for? Finding basketball players attractive? Following their every move on Facebookand Twitter trying to get them to reply to you? I bet you're sitting at your CPU sniffing some stolen underwear from Doughty while e-mailing hugs and kisses to him right now as I speak

This guy is going to be a huge factor for us this season. Pearl has had some nice transfer come in and contribute Samir may turn out being the most productive of them all. 

On 11/10/2018 at 12:03 PM, jared52 said:

Heron would have flourished last night. He was a consisten drive-to-the-basket guy and AU needed that in a bad way at times. Granted it was a blow out, but lots of times, AU had a lot of trouble with the zone and a dribble penetration with some size would have made that much easier to deal with.

Heron would've dominated that soft spot in the zone. It seemed like Chuma seemed unsure of what to do when he got the ball in that situation at times. He still did a good job of carving them up.

Right now we would benefit from having a guy who can just get us a bucket during a cold stretch like Mustapha. Hopefully Chuma can turn into that guy for us. I certainly like how he's started the season.

I like the idea of Brown coming off the bench as the 2nd unit's instant offense but I kind of like the idea of Purifoy being our main scorer in the 2nd unit more considering his lack of defensive prowess (at least what we've seen of him to this point), and I really think our 3 guard lineup can cause a lot of trouble for our opponents. Of course if there are bigger teams where we need to match up with their size we can start Danjel and bring Samir off the bench. I just don't see Bruce ever bringing Bryce off the bench considering he is one of our best perimeter defenders and a senior who has started for 3+ years now.

On 11/10/2018 at 11:03 AM, jared52 said:

I missed this post, but I noticed that as well and that is sort of what I'm talking about. To beat zones you have to make them collapse, that's why I said we need somebody to be able to drive. Herron did that and plus he had a good mid range jumper that he would use.

The other way we can combat the zone is preferably a big guy (who can see over the top of people) flash to the mid top of the defense. When the ball gets to the big man up high that should effect at least 3 of the players to collapse to the ball and that would leave somebody open at the 3 point line and maybe also a guy down low. We have great personnel to do this if chuma is the high guy and Wiley or Mac is down low. As long as chumma takes his time and make the right decisions a high-low game can eat up zone defenses. 

You guys are posting like the zone gave us problems.  🤣  I mean we didn't make every shot i don't guess and didn't break 100. But i didn't see a whole lot that could have gone better against Washington. Samir was a big reason for that in the first half. Him and Wash had no answer to keep Okeke off the glass. 

I'm just glad we did not lose any of our glass crashing prowess with Murray leaving. I love how we attack the boards. 

On 11/10/2018 at 3:52 AM, cole256 said:

Upgrade?? I don't see that, Herron just had 26 but he might be a better fit next to Brown with his high volume shooting.

I'm going to wait and see how he plays but if it were me I'd start doughty at 2 and DP at 3 when he comes back. And I'd let Brown come off the bench and he could gun all he wants in that role

On 11/10/2018 at 11:03 AM, jared52 said:

I guess what I was trying to say is he is an upgrade for our Team and the role he plays.   I loved Heron,  but I did not see him command this team nor did he fill it up for 26 often.   His talent is sky high and is perfect for St Johns,  but Doughty will be more valuable for this team and our style this year.  It’s an upgrade for the team. 

1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

I guess what I was trying to say is he is an upgrade for our Team and the role he plays.   I loved Heron,  but I did not see him command this team nor did he fill it up for 26 often.   His talent is sky high and is perfect for St Johns,  but Doughty will be more valuable for this team and our style this year.  It’s an upgrade for the team. 

We'll see. We saw Herron, you guys are falling in love with doughty and only seen him play twice. And from those two games no way you can look at the numbers and say he's an upgrade. If you want Brown to take more shots, I guess he's an upgrade. But I don't want him taking made shots personally

i just want to win and i don't care who makes them...heron is gone and is now a none issue....he was a very good basketball player.....we have doughty,who is a good basketball player, wiley and purifoy as cogs to replace him.....we will do fine as soon as the rust is gone

I tend to agree with Cole. I like Doughty so far but have not seen him play against a really good defensive team. I saw Herron play well against some really good teams.  I like Doughty and only time will tell if he going to be an upgrade, equal or a little bit of a downgrade for Herron. I am in a wait and see mode. I am really glad we got Doughty or we would really miss Herron without him. I am in a wait and see mode with Purifoy he will be playing in his more natural position where his length should make him a tough defender and rebounder and if he mixes in a more assertive drive to the basket with his shooting skill he could be awesome. First time around he did not work the boards, he did deflect a lot of passes with his wing span and he shot pretty well from outside but seemed to have lost the nasty go to the rim attitude that I think he will need to meet his potential.  He has potential but that is all it is at this time. Wiley gives us a down low presence we need against some teams and between him and a healthy Mac 5 should be a strength for us that we have not had in a long time.  They have different strengths that will give us different options.

The next few games will help a lot in analyzing the whole team minus Purifoy and let Bruce know our strengths and weaknesses prior to SEC season.  So far I have liked Team Chemistry I hope I can continue saying that. I am cautiously optimistic that we can do very well this year.

• 4 weeks later...

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

AUBURN, Alabama — Like any player sitting on the bench, Samir Doughty just needed to knock off some rust.

The VCU transfer needed a few games to get into the rhythm and carve out a role in the Tigers’ offense this season.

He figured it all out in his worst moments, a trip to the Maui Invitational. Now the guard is an integral part to the Tigers’ starting lineup.

“When you get in a tournament where it is tournament-style play back-to-back-to-back — and he struggled a little bit with foul trouble out there — you are trying to gain your rhythm after being out a year, and it is early in the year and it is another level of competition, another caliber of competition,” Auburn assistant coach Ira Bowman said. “It is always hard. The beauty of those things is being able to play the next game not holding on to them. In Maui, even when he struggled a little bit with foul trouble, if you look at the last five minutes of the Arizona game he played really well.”

Doughty can play the two-spot, but is mostly at the 3 sharing time with Malik Dunbar, a spot that will see an additional piece to the puzzle when Danjel Purifoy makes his season debut in No. 8 Auburn’s trip Saturday to UAB.

Doughty scored only nine points total in three games at the Maui Invitational, started 1 of 9 from the field, but heated up in the final game, a victory against Arizona. Since the performance, Doughty in a roll, hitting 50 percent of his shots, including 5 of 11 three-pointers, to average 7.5 points per game.

No performance may have better defined his role better than the overlooked showing in an 82-72 victory against Dayton last week. While Bryce Brown scored a career-high 34 points, Doughty did a little bit of everything. He scored eight points, grabbed 10 rebounds, dished six assists and stole four balls. It was as rounded of a performance by any player on Auburn’s roster this season.

“That’s what he does,” Auburn assistant Steven Pearl said. “He does a little bit of everything, which is why his teams win. He doesn’t require to have to score the ball for his teams to win. He can have zero points and his teams can still win because he’s playing defense, communicating, has great energy. He’s doing a lot of things that show up on the stat sheet but don’t produce into his points. His teams work because he’s such a great team player and he makes so many winning plays. He always won in the summer and inserting him into the starting lineup, that’s why we’ve gotten off to such good starts.”

Doughty’s journey from high school to VCU and later to Auburn has been one of steady improvement. Just two years ago at VCU he hit only 28.4 percent of his 3-pointers. Today he’s hitting 41.7 percent of his treys.

The biggest improvement was made last season while working with Auburn’s scout team, which included 5-star center Austin Wiley, 4-star swing man Purifoy, walk-on Patrick Keim and Pearl, a former player at Tennessee. “I say we had the best scout team in the country,” Pearl said.

“Last year we purposefully either put him as the point guard to work on his ball-handling and ball-screen stuff or he’d be the shooter on the team so he’d get more volume shooting up,” Pearl said. “He worked so hard in the offseason at night getting a ton of shots up. His ability to be on the scout team, work on his craft and develop his shot, you see he’s shooting 40-something-percent from 3 this year. A lot of that has to do with being on the scout team and all the work he put in. It was definitely very beneficial for him and he used it to his advantage. Some guys don’t do that, and he did. It’s definitely showing on the court.”

Doughty worked at three spots on the court — point guard, shooting guard and the wing — in a 50-point victory against Saint Peter’s. He did the same last season on the scout team.

Doughty, as he struggled to find his offensive rhythm earlier this season, didn’t doubt he would emerge out of the funk.

“It's going to come eventually,” he said Dec. 3. “We've got a great team. It's different. It's someone's night every night, it's not going to be just mine. I'm just going to wait on my opportunity and keep working hard on defense. The offense is eventually going to come around. I'm not focusing on that. I'm focusing on winning. As long as we continue to win, that's good for me.”

Auburn (8-1) and UAB (6-3) face off Saturday inside Legacy Arena in Birmingham. Tipoff is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. on CBS Sports Network.

Archived