USA 19 World Cup Team

auburnphan

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Because of the number of points he is scoring many are assuming Calipari is running a lot of plays through him. Look at his offensive rebound numbers. I would be willing to bet if he got 9 Offensive rebounds at least half led to put backs. That is half of his 16 points. As his strength and quickness has improved he is able to get in position and stay in position. He is creating his own offense by rebounding on the O side of the floor.  Rebounding was one of our big weaknesses last year. I see it becoming a strength for Wiley this year.

Wiley will become a double/double machine this year I am predicting 12 pts/12 rebound per game average and three blocks per game. Those are All Star numbers in today's game where the Center is not as involved as much as in the past.

I saw a highlight of his baskets from yesterday, and it looked like about half of his points came from put backs. I'll see if I can find the video link. It was on Twitter. 

Edit: Here's the link. 

https://twitter.com/AuburnMBB/status/881609557843234816

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our outside shooting and driving from our perimeter players will (hopefully) turn into a lot of points for Wiley. Wiley has also seemed to be running the floor more (everyone has been saying how jacked he looks, he's probably in a lot better shape after half a year in AU's S&C program). And with how fast we played last year, he can probably grab a few extra dunks on fast breaks as well.

That being said, with how good he's looked down low with offensive rebounds in these games is a testament to how dominate he is. He has been (and hopefully will be) just as dominant when the ball is being fed to him. We can't expect to go to him the number of times like he's Shaq in his prime due to depth and other reasons but Wiley seems like the answer to any team without a true big man and/or any offensive rut we get into. So I'd like to see him with more touches. 

Not dismissing any of our other talent but a team focus on and scared of getting beat downlow with Wiley will open up a lot more opportunities for our guards, especially the 3 loving ones. 

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Don't want to be a downer but keep in mind the competition

You are totally right about the level of competition. That said in camp playing against his teammates during scrimmages he was dominating also. Physically he is more cut and in better shape.  I said I expect to see him be a double double machine. I predicate him averaging 12 points/ 12 rebounds and 3 blocks.  If you look at his numbers last year fresh out of HS and not in college shape he was not that far away from those numbers. I think it is reasonable to think he has improved that much.  So far though I have not seen him add a mid range jump shot to his game As big man you can only go so far with all your offense being Dunks and layups. I also want to see if he has learned the art of receiving a pass down low pass back out and resetting in a better position down low. I am stoked but he has room for growth.

Last year we had a decent team if each of the returning players has improved just a little bit we will be going from decent to good.

The team USA scrimmages were what got everyone talking about Wiley. That competition level was pretty high and people were saying he was the most physically imposing player at the tryouts and what not in addition to a bunch of clips from the practice. Those scrimmages included other big name big guys like Bolden and Bol Bol. 

Obviously the completion he's up against in this tournament isn't top-notch but that article I linked/quoted said Wiley averaged ~8 points and ~6 rebounds a game in the u17 tournament and his numbers are looking way better this go around. He's getting more offensive rebounds than he was total rebounds last time against similar competition. 

There are a lot of things that have been noticed about Wiley so far that bode well for us, at least by me. I'm not saying he's a bonafide sec poy candidate but it's been a while since I've we've had a basketball player (and team) generate this much national hype preseason. 

He mainly needs to take advantage of his offensive rebounds...but them back ..jam or whatever but get some points rather than just re-start and offense play with a pass or something.

Auburn basketball’s Austin Wiley may not have been celebrating the Fourth of July stateside, but he contributed to some fireworks for the United States on Tuesday.

The Tigers center helped Team USA to another blowout win, 98-65 against Italy, helping the Americans remain undefeated (3-0) in FIBA U19 World Cup pool play. Team USA plays Mali on Wednesday in the round of 16 at a time to be determined.

Wiley finished with 9 points and a team-high 11 rebounds in 21-plus minutes against Italy.

Wiley is the only USA player to average a double-double in the three games — 10 points and 12.7 rebounds in 19.1 minutes per game.

In the USA’s blowout win over Angola on Saturday, Wiley came up with 13 points and 12 rebounds in the first half, adding 3 more points and 4 more rebounds after halftime. The rising sophomore had a strong opening half against the Italians, too, grabbing 7 rebounds and scoring 7 points.

RELATED: Austin Wiley notches double-double in USA’s blowout win over Angola

Not surprisingly, the team’s captain recorded one of the highest plus-minus ratings on the day (+26).

Wiley currently leads Team USA with 12 rebounds per game in the 2017 FIBA World Cup, four ahead of his next closest teammate.

RELATED: How to watch Austin Wiley, Team USA in FIBA World Cup play

Should Team USA beat Mali on Wednesday, it will advance to quarterfinal play on Friday.

The Americans are going for their third consecutive gold medal in Cairo, Egypt.

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-basketball-austin-wiley-helps-team-usa-undefeated-pool-play-games

just saw the Box Score in the Mali USA game. Wiley came back down to earth. 2 points. 3 rebounds, 4 fouls only played 9 Minutes and 49 Seconds. The US dominated the game winning 117-69 led by two future Kentucky players.  Not sure if Wiley was out of synch or if the officiating was tighter and he did not adjust fast enough.

45 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

just saw the Box Score in the Mali USA game. Wiley came back down to earth. 2 points. 3 rebounds, 4 fouls only played 9 Minutes and 49 Seconds. The US dominated the game winning 156 to 115 led by two future Kentucky players.  Not sure if Wiley was out of synch or if the officiating was tighter and he did not adjust fast enough.

Not sure where 156-115 came from. USA won 117-69

21 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Not sure where 156-115 came from. USA won 117-69

You are correct I am not sure where I got it either. Thank you I just fixed mine.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Not sure if Wiley was out of synch or if the officiating was tighter and he did not adjust fast enough.

The replay of the game is in the above youtube video if you want to watch it.

On 7/4/2017 at 4:58 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

You are totally right about the level of competition. That said in camp playing against his teammates during scrimmages he was dominating also. Physically he is more cut and in better shape.  I said I expect to see him be a double double machine. I predicate him averaging 12 points/ 12 rebounds and 3 blocks.  If you look at his numbers last year fresh out of HS and not in college shape he was not that far away from those numbers. I think it is reasonable to think he has improved that much.  So far though I have not seen him add a mid range jump shot to his game As big man you can only go so far with all your offense being Dunks and layups. I also want to see if he has learned the art of receiving a pass down low pass back out and resetting in a better position down low. I am stoked but he has room for growth.

Last year we had a decent team if each of the returning players has improved just a little bit we will be going from decent to good.

I could see him getting 12 and 12 a game for us. But I don't know about 3 blocks per game. That would put him around the top 5 in the entire nation if he did that. I'd be ecstatic if that was the case but to expect that may be setting his block numbers a little too high. JMO, but let's hope you're right!

21 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

just saw the Box Score in the Mali USA game. Wiley came back down to earth. 2 points. 3 rebounds, 4 fouls only played 9 Minutes and 49 Seconds. The US dominated the game winning 117-69 led by two future Kentucky players.  Not sure if Wiley was out of synch or if the officiating was tighter and he did not adjust fast enough.

I watched a few minutes of it and didn't see Wiley at all. With only playing 9 minutes i figure they just wanted to give some other guys a chance to show out. But as i said i didn't see him at all so he could have been off or something. 

21 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Like the post above me said, Wiley didn't play too much and it seemed a couple of the other bigs were getting in time. I didn't watch the beginning of the game so he could have gotten in early foul trouble for all I know. but I never saw Wiley in until the 4th quarter.

u19USA is up by 15 at the end of the third. USA has depth that GER can't keep up with. Wiley having a good game. Not getting shots on post moves to fall but running the floor and rebounding well. Has 15 points (I think) through the three quarters.

Also, I'm not saying FIBA refs are corrupt, but they kinda are. Several blocking fouls on GER called as charges on the USA. Lots of other missed fouls as well.

USA wins handily. Wiley had 19. Would like to see him get points on post moves though. No points came with his back to the basket.

15 minutes ago, jared52 said:

USA wins handily. Wiley had 19. Would like to see him get points on post moves though. No points came with his back to the basket.

I didn't watch the game but was he getting many looks in the post? I feel like the "all-stars" this team has on the wings and with how short timed their practice-duration was, a lot of their points will come from fast breaks and running ISO's with Diallo and co. and not "designed" plays and post touches.

Even if Wiley doesn't bring a mastered post game to us this year, if his rebounding in this tournament is any sort of sign for things to come then we're in for a sizable improvement vs what we saw last year. 

Of course he isn't playing against a bunch of other 4*-5* centers in these games but he seems to have a much better eye for where he needs to be for rebounds. In addition to being a lot more active with tip ins and rebound fights, from the 30-40 minutes total + highlights that I've watched. 

4 minutes ago, Charhair said:

I didn't watch the game but was he getting many looks in the post? I feel like the "all-stars" this team has on the wings and with how short timed their practice-duration was, a lot of their points will come from fast breaks and running ISO's with Diallo and co. and not "designed" plays and post touches.

Even if Wiley doesn't bring a mastered post game to us this year, if his rebounding in this tournament is any sort of sign for things to come then we're in for a sizable improvement vs what we saw last year. 

Of course he isn't playing against a bunch of other 4*-5* centers in these games but he seems to have a much better eye for where he needs to be for rebounds. In addition to being a lot more active with tip ins and rebound fights, from the 30-40 minutes total + highlights that I've watched. 

He had 5-6 looks at least. He rebounded very well today.

2 minutes ago, jared52 said:

He had 5-6 looks at least. He rebounded very well today.

Hopefully those failed attempts show our coaches what he needs to work on.

The rebounding will be huge. If we get Chuma back and healthy and he rebounds to his potential, we shouldn't be getting crushed on the boards as much.

Seems Barrett was nothing short of unstoppable. Tucker mentioned that Wiley still had a good game and even said he thought team USA should feed Wiley the ball to get out of the jam they were in. 

USA will face Spain for Bronze.

Archived