Jonah Todd

Since he was picked up in the sixth round, im think Jonah Todd is probably going pro. However, I could see him benefitting from one more year in college by increasing his power. He tends to be the kind of hitter that gets his hits by staying back and poking balls through the infield, so I don't know if he would fare well with that or not. 

My question is do we know anything about when he is expected to decide? 

14 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Jonah Todd signed with the Angels today for $210k per Jim Tallis on twitter

210 k plus a chance to play pro baseball would have been a lot to pass up. Good luck to him.

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

Jonah Todd signed with the Angels today for $210k per Jim Tallis on twitter

Good for him! I hope it works out. 

18 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Good for him! I hope it works out. 

Maybe good for him...hope it works out.    That's not a huge bonus after the tax man gets his share but I understand the eagerness to get a paycheck.  But in many ways, college baseball players have it all over Rookie League and Low Class A players. 

JMO but would have been good for him to get his degree and see another year of quality baseball and build himself up a bit. .

He would have had to outperform the year he had this year to get more money than what he got.   Not saying he couldn't have done that, but he made a good decision from where I stand.   That is a nice check and he will get every opportunity to continue up ladder.   That is a substantial investment by the angels and he will more chances to succeed 

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

He would have had to outperform the year he had this year to get more money than what he got.   Not saying he couldn't have done that, but he made a good decision from where I stand.   That is a nice check and he will get every opportunity to continue up ladder.   That is a substantial investment by the angels and he will more chances to succeed 

Maybe he can pick it up with the Angels but for an outfielder in professional baseball, his hitting stats were pretty mundane.,,the BA was good of course, but only 13 doubles and no home runs in about 60 games and in my view, he could have done better on the power front with another year in AU's development program.  

It will be interesting to see what happens...but as noted, the Angels were willing to bet he can do it.    

On 6/21/2017 at 11:56 AM, AU64 said:

Maybe good for him...hope it works out.    That's not a huge bonus after the tax man gets his share but I understand the eagerness to get a paycheck.  But in many ways, college baseball players have it all over Rookie League and Low Class A players. 

JMO but would have been good for him to get his degree and see another year of quality baseball and build himself up a bit. .

On 6/21/2017 at 2:54 PM, AU64 said:

Maybe he can pick it up with the Angels but for an outfielder in professional baseball, his hitting stats were pretty mundane.,,the BA was good of course, but only 13 doubles and no home runs in about 60 games and in my view, he could have done better on the power front with another year in AU's development program.  

It will be interesting to see what happens...but as noted, the Angels were willing to bet he can do it.    

He can still work on his degree by taking online classes. And he should get some help with development from the Angels organization. 

True tigerbelle.  Plus a lot of times the team will pick up college cost for players trying to get their degrees.   As far as baseball is concerned it was a smart decision, because in a way is behind the eight ball already.   

Another angle is that a junior player has some leverage with the pros in that he can at least 'threaten" to return to college for a year. A senior has zero leverage so he has to take whatever little is offered or go get a real job.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Another angle is that a junior player has some leverage with the pros in that he can at least 'threaten" to return to college for a year. A senior has zero leverage so he has to take whatever little is offered or go get a real job.

true but during the CWS I was interested as they discussed the draft and the number of players who passed up signing to return this season because they wanted a shot at the CWS....guys from LSU and Louisville were mentioned.     And I guess it's a question...what gives him the best chance long term to make it in the pros....returning to college and developing his skills....or signing up and playing at some low level minor league?   JT has had one season of serious baseball...and maybe he struck gold this season with a good BA.? 

JMO but the fact that some pro team drafts or signs a guy does not mean much...they blow it all the time.  I watch a lot of baseball and have enjoyed watching JT at AU..added a lot to the team ....a  good defender and decent hitter without power...but I don't see him going far in pro ball...not as an outfielder... JMO

Players don't get that much of a signing bonus if the scouts don't think he can play.   It's possible that he could have returned to auburn and had the same year or even slightly better and he might not have gotten the same money.   It's all about leverage and when you're a senior you have none

45 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Players don't get that much of a signing bonus if the scouts don't think he can play.   It's possible that he could have returned to auburn and had the same year or even slightly better and he might not have gotten the same money.   It's all about leverage and when you're a senior you have none

Valid point if all you are looking at is the bonus. I'm saying that for the long term, he would get better and more individual coaching with another year at AU than he will get playing a minor league season in a rookie league or something.   

He has some physical filling out to do and time at AU would help.   Guess we will never know for certain, but I'm betting that more guys leave too early than leave too late.

Also...At the beginning of the 2007 season, 29 percent of major league players and 46 percent of those in the minors were born outside the United States, according to an AP article last year.

This piece is pretty old but probably still relevant...   http://www.hardballtimes.com/beyond-moneyball-player-development/

And as noted, the process of "development" in the minor leagues is putting a bunch of guys on a bunch of teams and  see how they compare...sabermetrics or whatever...but not the kind of teaching / development they are likely to get in college.   College coaching is the closest thing a kid will have to his own personal coach.

Archived