What the defense needs in 2017

WFE12

How good Auburn’s defense was in 2016, what it needs in 2017

By Chistian Corona - 247 sports

In its season opener last year, Auburn held eventual national champion Clemson to a mere 19 points.

The Tigers defense turned in similar performances most of the rest season, allowing 17.1 points per game, the seventh-fewest in the country. But after holding their first 11 opponents to under 30 points, Alabama and Oklahoma each scored at least that many in their last two games of the year - after giving up just 29 in their previous three contests combined. After surrendering eight touchdowns in their previous seven games, the Crimson Tide and Sooners collectively scored that many against Auburn.

Overall, the Tigers graded out among the best defenses in the nation in 2016. They were one of 12 defenses to finish in the Top 25 for both yards per pass and yards per carry allowed, a group that included all four College Football Playoff participants, along with Michigan, LSU, Wisconsin, Louisville and Miami. Auburn allowed only eight rushing touchdowns all season long (half in those last two games against Alabama and Oklahoma), tied for the fourth-fewest in the nation.

According to EPA (Expected Points Added), Auburn had an above-average run defense and an elite pass defense. It allowed only 13.42 pass EPA, No. 8 in the nation, and -46.48 rush EPA (No. 33), for a total of -33.06 — ninth-fewest in the country. The Tigers lose two starters from that secondary, safety Rudy Ford and cornerback Josh Holsey, sixth-round and seventh-round picks in this year’s NFL Draft, respectively.

But it’s the two guys they lose on the front seven, third-rounder Montravius Adams and fourth-rounder Carl Lawson, who they will miss the most on defense this upcoming season. While Auburn brings back players who accounted for 88% of the tackles made by linebackers last year and 68% by the secondary, it brings back only half of the tackles made by defensive linemen.

The Tigers bring back players who made 48.5 of the team’s 83.0 tackles for loss (58.4%) and just 10.5 of its 25 sacks (42.0%) — fewer than the 13.5 Adams and Lawson combined for last year. They nearly combined for more quarterback hurries (39) than Auburn’s returners had this past season (40, 46.5% of the team’s total), with Lawson leading the country with 24 — six more than anyone else in the country and more than nearly half of all FBS teams (61, to be precise).

Auburn recorded sacks on 5.1% of opponents’ dropbacks, only No. 91 in the nation. But it hurried quarterbacks 17.5% of the time they dropped back, the second-most in the country. Together, that made for a 22.6% pressure rate, fifth-best in the nation. But Lawson and Adams had twice as many quarterback hurries last year as anyone else on the team. The Tigers are going to need those coming back to pick up the slack with them in the NFL.

That could come from a guy like Marlon Davidson, the four-star defensive end from the 2016 class who is the team’s only returner who made at least five tackles for loss and multiple sacks last year. Or Jeff Holland, who led returners with seven quarterback hurries a year ago. Or Deshaun Davis, who led returners with seven tackles for loss. Or someone new, like incoming four-stars Tadarian Moultry or Markaviest Bryant.

The Tigers had a Top 10 defense last year, one that was especially good against the pass. They bring back seven starters on that side of the ball, each of the four lost being selected in this year’s Draft. If Auburn is going to have a chance to have a Top 10 defense again this season, it’s going to need to turn more of those hurries into sacks and it’s going to have to find more guys to consistently pressure the quarterback without Adams or Lawson.

48 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

just 10.5 of its 25 sacks (42.0%) — fewer than the 13.5 Adams and Lawson combined for last year. They nearly combined for more quarterback hurries (39) than Auburn’s returners had this past season (40, 46.5% of the team’s total)

O-line and D-line will tell the tale this year.

#2 in QB hurries 

#91 in sacks!!!!

Wow!!!  Either we played the most elusive QBs in the country, or we really need to work on finishing those sack opportunities! (probably a little bit of both)

8 hours ago, oracle79 said:

O-line and D-line will tell the tale this year.

I agree. Although this statement could fall under the category of "Statements that are true every year"

12 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

#2 in QB hurries 

#91 in sacks!!!!

Wow!!!  Either we played the most elusive QBs in the country, or we really need to work on finishing those sack opportunities! (probably a little bit of both)

Lawson was great at getting in the back field, but it just seemed like he would over pursue a lot of the times and the opposing QB could just take a step up to dodge him. 

14 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Chad Kelly, Jalen Hurts, Baker Mayfield, Trevor Knight, Deshaun Watson were all pretty elusive quarterbacks.  They all also did pop passes that makes it virtually impossible to get a sack.

It all starts up front.  Look at any great defense and what you will see is the front 4 moving the line of scrimmage back at the snap.  If you can get pressure from the front 4 and disrupt the timing of the offense without sending LB's and/or a Safety it takes the pressure off the rest of the defense.  And you not only need the 4 you need about 10 so they can rotate and stay fresh.  Go back watch the tape of Bammer/Clemson.  The Bammer front was gassed at the end and Watson stood back there and picked them apart the last couple of drives.  

On the other point, Hurts and Mayfield hurt our defense and ran up big numbers because we had absolutely no offense.  Both defenses stacked the line and stopped the run (UGA did too) because we were no threat to throw the ball without a QB.  If White could have played in those games our defense would have looked much better because they wouldn't have been on the field the whole game.  

58 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Lawson was great at getting in the back field, but it just seemed like he would over pursue a lot of the times and the opposing QB could just take a step up to dodge him. 

This. He had a very good year, but if he would have made the tackle on some of those it would have been incredible. 

54 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

This. He had a very good year, but if he would have made the tackle on some of those it would have been incredible. 

If only his arms were just a little bit longer... :P

I think (hope really) that PJ3 is going to be the missing piece to this team. If he plays like he did in the spring, our defense should be elite. Barring injuries we have every other piece covered. 

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Chad Kelly, Jalen Hurts, Baker Mayfield, Trevor Knight, Deshaun Watson were all pretty elusive quarterbacks.  They all also did pop passes that makes it virtually impossible to get a sack.

Most un-tackle-able QB I've seen Auburn play since Josh Freeman. 

2 hours ago, weagl1 said:

It all starts up front.  Look at any great defense and what you will see is the front 4 moving the line of scrimmage back at the snap.  If you can get pressure from the front 4 and disrupt the timing of the offense without sending LB's and/or a Safety it takes the pressure off the rest of the defense.  And you not only need the 4 you need about 10 so they can rotate and stay fresh.  Go back watch the tape of Bammer/Clemson.  The Bammer front was gassed at the end and Watson stood back there and picked them apart the last couple of drives.  

On the other point, Hurts and Mayfield hurt our defense and ran up big numbers because we had absolutely no offense.  Both defenses stacked the line and stopped the run (UGA did too) because we were no threat to throw the ball without a QB.  If White could have played in those games our defense would have looked much better because they wouldn't have been on the field the whole game.  

This was going to be my point. The offense gave the defense plenty of help the middle third of the season, but not so much on the front or back ends. The best way a defense can put up great stats is to not be on the field. 

OK so I'm glad these numbers are what they are because I thought I was feeling irrational about how we seemingly can't finish plays on the QB. Turns out we were one of the worst in the nation in doing so.

1 hour ago, autigersj said:

Looking at this just makes me angry that we finally had a great defense again and our offense was so lackluster....

Once we decided on SW our Offense was not lackluster, once he got hurt it was. This year we seem (emphasizing seem) to have more options if our starter gets hurt. Hopefully our O-line can do its part and our Offense can help the O-line by being creative hitting backs and TE  with quick passes and checking off to safety valves when needed.Pressure from the front 4 or some creative pass rushing will also be needed. The reason I say creative pass rushing is other teams seem to disguise LB, Safety, and CB blitzes well and Auburn hasn't in last few years. To often I am watching the game and I will say to somebody we are going to blitz and who is going to blitz and sadly I am right to often.

^Don't forget about the OL shuffling we did early on. Moving Golson and starting a non-SEC caliber center was absolutely moronic.

3 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Out of all the Markavis out there, Bryant is the Markaviest.

terrible name jokes aside, I think Bryant is going to be great for us this year.

One (seriously) hopes.

One thing that is interesting to me is that all the pre-Spring talk was Coe, Coe, and more Coe. Now he's almost an after thought. Any word on that?

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

One thing that is interesting to me is that all the pre-Spring talk was Coe, Coe, and more Coe. Now he's almost an after thought. Any word on that?

I think it's just that he's not the hot topic anymore. We've moved on to speculating about new comers (MB, TDM, and of course JS)

Also if I remember correctly he sat out the Spring game because of a minor injury, so he wasn't able to wow us like PJ3 did. 

One other question/caveat, I think Coe was moved to SDE behind Davidson. Did that actually happen or did I just make that up?

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Watching the Vanderbilt and Ole Miss games make me wonder how we had an elite pass defense.

Yeah...Very frustrating but again like others have said the offense gave no favors. SHOULD be completely different this year. Defense can pick up offense on occasions and vice versa.

An important aspect of the defense, but rarely mentioned, is a quality punting game. Going into fall camp there is a lot of uncertainty about this position. Ian Shannon has to step up big-time.. No way can Daniel Carlson handle both the place kicking and punting duties. Need a punter who can reverse field position when needed. Poor punts can create short field for the opposing offense. Hoping Horton can light a fire in Shannon or Malzahn may need to have open tryouts.

1 hour ago, aufan57 said:

An important aspect of the defense, but rarely mentioned, is a quality punting game. Going into fall camp there is a lot of uncertainty about this position. Ian Shannon has to step up big-time.. No way can Daniel Carlson handle both the place kicking and punting duties. Need a punter who can reverse field position when needed. Poor punts can create short field for the opposing offense. Hoping Horton can light a fire in Shannon or Malzahn may need to have open tryouts.

I hope the offense is good enough we don't have to punt.If they can get it across the 50 Carlson can kick a FG.

Archived