Manhood Character Program

aufan57

Outstanding program.

By Jeff Shearer
AuburnTigers.com

AUBURN, Ala. - Auburn football players fill the F. Steve Taylor Family Auditorium for a team meeting, not a single cell phones in sight. When Coach Gus Malzahn enters with a guest, small talk ends.

For the next 30 minutes, there will be no mention of blocking schemes, blitz packages or run-pass options.

Instead, former Auburn All-American linebacker Quentin Riggins (1986-89) shares his journey. How a 25-tackle Friday night as a high school senior earned a recruiting invitation to an Auburn game. And how Riggins left that game -- during Bo Jackson's Heisman season -- at halftime so he could get back to Montgomery in time to work his shift flipping hamburgers.

The work ethic that prompted Riggins to leave at the half prompted Auburn's coaches to offer a scholarship, even though at 5-11, 185 pounds, he was smaller than most at his position.

It's that same work ethic that has served Riggins well ever since, in his career as Alabama Power's senior vice president for governmental and corporate affairs, and as a member of Auburn University's Board of Trustees.

"Auburn's special to me," Riggins tells the team, wiping away tears. "It's more than orange and blue. It's more than the Auburn Creed. It's about the person next to you."

Beyond the Field

Riggins is the third former Auburn player, along with Pedro Cherry (1989-91) and Bret Eddins (2001-04) to speak to the Tigers this summer, part of Malzahn's "Beyond the Field" program.

Tim Cook, Apple CEO, and K-Rob Thomas, a transmission construction general manger at Alabama Power, have also addressed the team. Raymond J. Harbert, CEO of Harbert Management Corporation, will be the final speaker before preseason camp begins.

"Bringing successful Auburn alums back to get in front of our players and tell their stories," Malzahn said. "What's important for them to be successful. A lot of them are former players who they can relate to. Our players are also building those relationships while they're here on campus, instead of afterwards when they get through with football."

spacer.gif

Beyond the Field is a component of Auburn football's "Manhood" character development program.

"Trying to help our players with the character side and the life side to educate and empower them for life situations and things that are relevant to them," Malzahn said. "Not only now, with issues they have as Auburn student-athletes, but even when they get older. How to be a great dad. How to be a great husband."

Kenny Ingram, Auburn's director of player relations, leads the Manhood program.

"We use the acronym for the word great," Ingram said. "Growth, revelation, experience, application and time. We want to grow through our revelation and experiences and apply what we have learned in the right timing."

Former Auburn assistant athletic director David Gunn crafted the Manhood definition Auburn uses, Ingram says.

"A male who provides persistent, responsible leadership that is beneficial to generations to come," Ingram said.

"How do we walk in that definition? How does that definition become real and relevant in a personal way?" Ingram said. "We try to intentionally create a culture where we equip them with life skills and strategies."

'The best version of you'

Like Malzahn, Ingram got his start coaching high school football.

"I know Coach Malzahn cherishes this philosophy," Ingram said. "We spend a vast amount of time with these young men. If you don't take the approach as a coach, that you are responsible for developing the whole person and not just the athlete, you are robbing them as individuals.

"This program is not designed to keep them from being a bad person. It's really about challenging you to be the best version of you. When you are the best version of you, you get the best results for you. When you really have a heart for players, you want them to get the best out of life they can get.

"For us, it's not just getting the best football players, it's to get the best person. It's our job to equip them to be better husbands, better fathers and better people."

Riggins ends his talk by encouraging the team members to expand their horizons and develop a plan for success once their athletic careers conclude.

"It's so wonderful that Coach Malzahn has the vision to complete the whole player," Riggins said. "How do we help them transition when they hang up their cleats? Giving them positive people to come through who sat in their seats, wore the shoulder pads and helmet, and help them see that there's another side of things. It's the best thing I've seen in a long time. Coach is taking these guys to the next level."

Link

• WarTiger changed the title to Manhood Character Program

10 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

That is good stuff right there. 

But to keep from getting fired, he still has to win ten games and beat UGA and bama...right ?

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

But to keep from getting fired, he still has to win ten games and beat UGA and bama...right ?

Pretty close just the way it is in today's coaching world in the SEC West

40 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Never said anything about beating bama but yes, with this team he needs to win 10 games and beat Uga or he is probably in trouble. I like the coach probably more than many on this site but it is what it is...

34 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Never said anything about beating bama but yes, with this team he needs to win 10 games and beat Uga or he is probably in trouble. I like the coach probably more than many on this site but it is what it is...

Afraid y'all are probably correct if some of the comments about hiring coaches like Briles or Petrino can be believed to represent very many Auburn people.

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Afraid y'all are probably correct if some of the comments about hiring coaches like Briles or Petrino can be believed to represent very many Auburn people.

Really 64 want to use that comment about this positive thread. Seems a low blow 64 I usually agree with you on 95% 64 I never called for bobby boy or artie

14 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Really 64 want to use that comment about this positive thread. Seems a low blow 64 I usually agree with you on 95% 64 I never called for bobby boy or artie

My apologies.....I definitely was not referring to either of you....I just get bothered by the win at any cost theme ...that has been run through this forum the past few months.

The OP was great and thanks for '57 for posting it.  I'm pleased that Gus and his staff take this view of what coaching is all about....and it worries me that in the eyes of a number of folks, that's not so important.

Sorry for my cynicism. ...but programs like this seem to be important ..right up to the point that we lose too many games.

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

My apologies.....I definitely was not referring to either of you....I just get bothered by the win at any cost theme ...that has been run through this forum the past few months.

The OP was great and thanks for '57 for posting it.  I'm pleased that Gus and his staff take this view of what coaching is all about....and it worries me that in the eyes of a number of folks, that's not so important.

Sorry for my cynicism. ...but programs like this seem to be important ..right up to the point that we lose too many games.

Understand

I love that our coach and AD are providing theses forums for our players. It helps foster a great environment and a strong culture. Regarding Mr. Riggins, he was one of many players at AU during my time there who demonstrated excellent character and made great lives for themselves beyond football. I had the pleasure of going to class with players like Tommie Agee, Alvin Briggs, and Ron Middleton. Those guys represented AU well, on and off the field. They are high caliber men and I hope this program puts as many as possible in front of our current players. 

12 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Understand

plus it's been a week of rain, my golf game stinks anyway.....sometimes I just get grouchy and have to take it out some someone....and sure ain't gonna take it out on my wife.....sorry......'

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

plus it's been a week of rain, my golf game stinks anyway.....sometimes I just get grouchy and have to take it out some someone....and sure ain't gonna take it out on my wife.....sorry......'

You know what they say when a golfer ask what's your golf handicap. Correct answer............................................ my wife

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

You know what they say when a golfer ask what's your golf handicap. Correct answer............................................ my wife

A funny comment but my wife is a gem....married way over my head and she never even complains about my golf as long as I take her along every now and then. :)

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

A funny comment but my wife is a gem....married way over my head and she never even complains about my golf as long as I take her along every now and then. :)

Same here but she goes shopping instead

I guess fan posted this about the same time I did which is why my post is now gone, but I will repeat what I said with it which is, THIS is why I defend Malzahn as often as I do.

15 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Pretty close just the way it is in today's coaching world in the SEC West

I would not mind getting fired from a big name name school after HCing a few years.........just saying. Tommy Bowden calls his home down 30A his "Clemson House".

13 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Sometimes i would be better if she went shopping....but she's a sweetie...even on the golf course...

15 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

You didn't have any choice but to marry up. Beat bird to the punch.

Was having the first two words in the name of the auditorium F. Steve really a good idea?:-\

Hate to be Debbie Downer but--

Having Harbert speak is ironic...guy inherited his money and was sued by his own siblings.

and yes, while this is cool, Gus has to win games. I mean, Chiz was a good guy who taught em how to be good men, but nobody talks about that when you only win 3 games...am I makin sense?

I'm glad Gus is doing this, but you would have to think other schools do this as well.

14 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Having Harbert speak is ironic...guy inherited his money and was sued by his own siblings.

and yes, while this is cool, Gus has to win games. I mean, Chiz was a good guy who taught em how to be good men, but nobody talks about that when you only win 3 games...am I makin sense?

I am more than happy to celebrate Gus's successes off the field, and I regularly do. But if he lets our players down on the field as he has at times in the past, then no, I won't be saying, "But he did the character manhood thing!"

In other words, you makin sense. 

27 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

I look at it this way... We have 85 guys on our active roster... a handful have a chance of making a career out of football. I'm extremely happy to have a coach who is just as concerned about helping this young men win at life (not to be confused with Tennessee's version) as he is about winning on the field. Football is at most 4 years for most of these guys. It is just as much the job of the university to prepare them for the other 60+ years of their life as it is to win what is, in effect, just a game.

Archived