Manhood Character Program

aufan57

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I look at it this way... We have 85 guys on our active roster... a handful have a chance of making a career out of football. I'm extremely happy to have a coach who is just as concerned about helping this young men win at life (not to be confused with Tennessee's version) as he is about winning on the field. Football is at most 4 years for most of these guys. It is just as much the job of the university to prepare them for the other 60+ years of their life as it is to win what is, in effect, just a game.

The only question I got (and have been unable to answer, so far) is whether it's somehow mandatory.

If not, I'm totally with it, and downright admiring of the effort.

9 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

The only question I got (and have been unable to answer, so far) is whether it's somehow mandatory.

If not, I'm totally with it, and downright admiring of the effort.

Mandatory?    and what's the problem?      But then again, any player who did not participate would be sending a very bad message to his coaches and team mates.

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Hate to be Debbie Downer but--

Having Harbert speak is ironic...guy inherited his money and was sued by his own siblings.

and yes, while this is cool, Gus has to win games. I mean, Chiz was a good guy who taught em how to be good men, but nobody talks about that when you only win 3 games...am I makin sense?

Winning 3 games gets you gone. Winning 8 or 9 with the outlook of better things to come is a totally different scene. The "win 10 or else" crowd here have very loud voices. Fortunately, they don't have very much influence in places that matter.

54 minutes ago, Mikey said:

they don't have very much influence in places that matter.

Fortunately the people that have influence also seem to feel this way from what I've seen reported on the board.  And it's not the 10 wins or else.  It's an average of 8 wins a year ain't gonna cut it.  Win 9 at least or more, and quit losing to Georgia and Alabama in the same year, and then come back and try to be better next year.

27 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Fortunately the people that have influence also seem to feel this way from what I've seen reported on the board.  And it's not the 10 wins or else.  It's an average of 8 wins a year ain't gonna cut it.  Win 9 at least or more, and quit losing to Georgia and Alabama in the same year, and then come back and try to be better next year.

Of course, now that the University is poised for a top down regime change, all of this could be different before the end of the season.  Only time will tell what our new president decides is important to him and what he leaves alone.

3 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Hate to be Debbie Downer but--

Having Harbert speak is ironic...guy inherited his money and was sued by his own siblings.

and yes, while this is cool, Gus has to win games. I mean, Chiz was a good guy who taught em how to be good men, but nobody talks about that when you only win 3 games...am I makin sense?

I agree PTB. Instilling character in these kids is a huge piece of the puzzle!  However, if you are good at instilling character, but not coaching you should become a preacher! ??

On 6/23/2017 at 3:06 PM, oracle79 said:

The trend Gus has been on from 2014-2016 won't cut it and Gus knows it.  You can't keep losing to your two biggest rivals while also managing to go 1-3 in bowl games.  

This is the year for a huge up tick, Gus supposedly has all the pieces in place to make a solid run.  He's got the opportunity to really show the nation he's got this bus back on track with a solid wins at BOTH Death Valleys in week 2 vs CU and in week 7 vs LSU.  A battle of 3 Tiger teams! 

Archived