Recruiting is a Tough Reality for Prospects

ellitor

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

E I agree with your premise here.  Although not 100 percent agree.  I think the coaching is pretty good well above average at most position groups however I feel like this conversation about "getting our edge back" is a cultural problem with our players now.  I used to be able to walk away with an Auburn loss saying bet that team doesn't want another quarter of the hell we just witnessed.  I think they "physicality" has been missing since Tubbs days and as much of a Gus supporter that I am that's the one thing I wish he would adjust.  You can't practice scared one of your juniors or seniors are gonna get hurt.  At the end of the day the team that wins the 1 on 1 battles wins the games with exceptions to a turnover fest.  I'm all for college kids having fun bowling swimming basketball but when it comes time to practice it should be 1s on 1s at least twice a week at full speed in the offseason (spring, bowl, and fall camps) and at least once during the season.  Mixing in 2's to get depth built at times.  

I agree & I think Steele made Gus realize that because he has gone to more 1 v 1s in practice the last year or so. I think that was a big reason the D was better last year.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Not sure I agree with the article.  A kid should wait in my opinion until he knows where he wants to go to school what benefits him the most.

The stone cold truth about Auburn recruiting is this.  

We are not the Number 2 option for Atlanta anymore, for the Atlanta kids you have UGA, bammer, Clemson, USCe, FSU, UTk... all throwing their hats in the ring and we are just in that group now.  Used to be UGA then Auburn.  That's not case anymore.  

We are not the number 2 in Mobile anymore.  Bama then LSU/FSU/Auburn all there together.  

We are not the number 3 in Huntsville/Athens anymore.  You have Bama\UTk, Ole Miss then us probably.  

The point I'm trying to get at is there is no place we can call ours anymore.  Used to we could load up on Georgia and Alabama talent.  That's not the case sure we will get our share in state but bama has dominated the Top 10 prospects for a while and I don't mean by numbers I mean by who they want.  We could go into Georgia and almost split the top 20 with UGA most years pulling in major hauls of talent.  Now we still get Ga talent but it's a huge fight with multiple teams to get anyone there.  

My thoughts are you keep putting in work.  Win more games.  Enhance any advantage in infrastructure you can to make Auburn a "different" place.  Plus I think it's time Auburn extends its recruiting and I'm not talking going National because we would rarely pull anyone from California or Ohio but I think we need a stronger presence in East Texas to the Houston area, and up the east coast in South Carolina, NC, Maryland and Virginia.   That area is exploding with talent and we need to get our foot in there before South Carolina/UGA/UTk do and battle for some of those kids there.  

Yet somehow we are still reeling in Top 10 classes each year and truth be told I'm not sure we actually have Top 10 talent.  Appears over the past 8-10 years Auburn is benefited from the so called Bama Bump in recruit rankings.  We bring many subscribers to that industry so they want to keep us happy.  

War Eagle folks! 

The truth hurts and sadly this is the truth. I am therefore hurt by this. 

Just now, ellitor said:

I agree & I think Steele made Gus realize that because he has gone to more 1 v 1s in practice the last year or so. I think that was a big reason the D was better last year.

I attribute that to Muschamp.  I have no player contacts anymore to know what happens day to day.  Maybe @Altima can chim in to let us know if the physical practices was a Muschamp deal or has Steele also convinced Gus to go more  1 v 1.  

Just now, ellitor said:

Steele is doing a really good job imo. Hopefully Gus and crew can get this turned around, have some stability on the staff and then we can take offfffffffff

44 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

With Clemson becoming more of a power is killing us in ga. 

THIS THIS THIS. Dabo has turned clemson in to a recruiting juggernaut nationally. They are picking and choosing who they want. Not at a bama or ohio state rate but close enough. They are having these small classes and still high in the recruiting rankings. They are basically WR U these days with who they put in the nfl. Kids absolutely love playing for him. He has the perfect dynamic personality to be the face of a program. This is honestly hurting us more than anything besides the on field play. This is our best shot to beat dabo. This will be their "down" year. That game will be the tell tale sign of how our season will go.

Just now, corchjay said:

I attribute that to Muschamp.  I have no player contacts anymore to know what happens day to day.  Maybe @Altima can chim in to let us know if the physical practices was a Muschamp deal or has Steele also convinced Gus to go more  1 v 1.  

It was apart of the deal that Gus had to agree to to get Boom as a number of AU sources have said but from what I heard it wasn't put in place to an effective extent til last year.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

THIS THIS THIS. Dabo has turned clemson in to a recruiting juggernaut nationally. They are picking and choosing who they want. Not at a bama or ohio state rate but close enough. They are having these small classes and still high in the recruiting rankings. They are basically WR U these days with who they put in the nfl. Kids absolutely love playing for him. He has the perfect dynamic personality to be the face of a program. This is honestly hurting us more than anything besides the on field play. This is our best shot to beat dabo. This will be their "down" year. That game will be the tell tale sign of how our season will go.

One reason dabby classes are small is he does not process players out as much as the other big schools. Seems to be working for him 

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Not sure I agree with the article.  A kid should wait in my opinion until he knows where he wants to go to school what benefits him the most.

The stone cold truth about Auburn recruiting is this.  

We are not the Number 2 option for Atlanta anymore, for the Atlanta kids you have UGA, bammer, Clemson, USCe, FSU, UTk... all throwing their hats in the ring and we are just in that group now.  Used to be UGA then Auburn.  That's not case anymore.  

We are not the number 2 in Mobile anymore.  Bama then LSU/FSU/Auburn all there together.  

We are not the number 3 in Huntsville/Athens anymore.  You have Bama\UTk, Ole Miss then us probably.  

The point I'm trying to get at is there is no place we can call ours anymore.  Used to we could load up on Georgia and Alabama talent.  That's not the case sure we will get our share in state but bama has dominated the Top 10 prospects for a while and I don't mean by numbers I mean by who they want.  We could go into Georgia and almost split the top 20 with UGA most years pulling in major hauls of talent.  Now we still get Ga talent but it's a huge fight with multiple teams to get anyone there.  

My thoughts are you keep putting in work.  Win more games.  Enhance any advantage in infrastructure you can to make Auburn a "different" place.  Plus I think it's time Auburn extends its recruiting and I'm not talking going National because we would rarely pull anyone from California or Ohio but I think we need a stronger presence in East Texas to the Houston area, and up the east coast in South Carolina, NC, Maryland and Virginia.   That area is exploding with talent and we need to get our foot in there before South Carolina/UGA/UTk do and battle for some of those kids there.  

Yet somehow we are still reeling in Top 10 classes each year and truth be told I'm not sure we actually have Top 10 talent.  Appears over the past 8-10 years Auburn is benefited from the so called Bama Bump in recruit rankings.  We bring many subscribers to that industry so they want to keep us happy.  

War Eagle folks! 

Ok now I can say what I really want to say about this. We are the "fun" school. Now I want to preface this by saying I do not knock it because we HAVE to brand ourselves that way to recruit at a high clip. If we tried to attract the guys who are all business and all about getting to the league (well more than most are. all kids want this.) we would have a big swing and a miss as Bama has those kind of recruits on lock in our recruiting areas. This is how imo we have managed to string together all these top 10 classes. Ever since Chiz took over we have beaten the family and fun atmosphere mantra more than ever. The trade off is MAN some of the worst defensives in AU history and the total physicality of our team is way down from the tub years. That is the sacrifice we have made to keep up in recruiting imo. 

Just now, augolf1716 said:

One reason dabby classes are small is he does not process players out as much as the other big schools. Seems to be working for him 

The margin of error is so thin in these small classes to hit on almost every single one and he so far has nailed it. Your right. I may not like the guy but I got to give him that. He rarely processes players. 

JMO but the SEC TV is a factor in how just about every SEC school is recruiting all over the south east..families can see every game by every school and kids get to know more about the other schools and style of play....and they know that parents and friends will see them play on TV wherever they go..

All this probably shouldn't be in the recruiting section but to get us back on track I still think we need to expand our recruiting base up the east coast and into eastern Texas.  Plus we have to have some coaching stability at the head coach position.  I'm not saying sign Gus to a long term deal or anything but this is the year for Gus.  New offensive scheme, 2 legit SEC Qbs, dynamic playmakers around just get the ball to them, on defense we should be solid top 20ish defense if the back end suffers no serious injuries.  

But as I've been saying lately we should take care of the things we directly control.  Player recruiting should take a back seat to no team in the country and if we want to win we must invest money into infrastructure at almost a year round cycle.  Not just $50mil here or 70 mil there.  Wasn't there a billion dollar infrastructure budget that was going on in the early 2000's.  Maybe we need another $500millie to get everything done over the next 5 years.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

JMO but the SEC TV is a factor in how just about every SEC school is recruiting all over the south east..families can see every game by every school and kids get to know more about the other schools and style of play....and they know that parents and friends will see them play on TV wherever they go..

It doesn't hurt that's for dang sure

The social media explosion has been a factor also.  I know we have had the net, but social media has changed the landscape the last 5-7 or so years.  Many love the attention in different ways and our brand carries differently in social circles vs. football circles. Case in point: consider the Oregon ducks and the flash they have on the net/twitter/tv.  They aren't that much better than they were 10 yrs ago - they are more consistent and a lot more flash.  

I concur with the post above: 1. we don't own any areas like we used to   2. This is a strategic issue.  3.   Texas is impossible for UT and TAMU to fully cover, that's why TCU, Baylor have thrived and you have a plethora college teams fielding teams.  Texas is ripe for a flashy outsider (Oregon recruits TX yearly).  

Auburn will make consistent progress in the couple of years - take that to the bank!  

6 minutes ago, Beaker said:

The social media explosion has been a factor also.  I know we have had the net, but social media has changed the landscape the last 5-7 or so years.  Many love the attention in different ways and our brand carries differently in social circles vs. football circles. Case in point: consider the Oregon ducks and the flash they have on the net/twitter/tv.  They aren't that much better than they were 10 yrs ago - they are more consistent and a lot more flash.  

I concur with the post above: 1. we don't own any areas like we used to   2. This is a strategic issue.  3.   Texas is impossible for UT and TAMU to fully cover, that's why TCU, Baylor have thrived and you have a plethora college teams fielding teams.  Texas is ripe for a flashy outsider (Oregon recruits TX yearly).  

Auburn will make consistent progress in the couple of years - take that to the bank!  

@Beaker I'm 45 but have sons that are 23, 15, 14, 11... so I think I know some of the college generational kids.  They all love the "flash" as you speak of.  And yes I agree the opinion of the "fun school" that @GwillMac6 mentioned.  I have no preference on Uniform stuff but love our traditional ones but... should we ummm gulp... have some of the alternate uni's to reach the crowd we are selling to?  Do you guys see that as helping or just being a sell out?

Just for reference both my summer travel baseball teams went full sublimation dye uniforms the past 2 years.  I guess I was a sellout to their wishes.  

16 minutes ago, corchjay said:

@Beaker I'm 45 but have sons that are 23, 15, 14, 11... so I think I know some of the college generational kids.  They all love the "flash" as you speak of.  And yes I agree the opinion of the "fun school" that @GwillMac6 mentioned.  I have no preference on Uniform stuff but love our traditional ones but... should we ummm gulp... have some of the alternate uni's to reach the crowd we are selling to?  Do you guys see that as helping or just being a sell out?

USCw, Penn State, Alabama, OU, Texas, tOSU, just to name a few of the old school traditional powers have never changed uniforms into "the flash" and have been doing fine in plenty of sports and not just football. If the program is strong then the uniforms don't matter. Kids want to be on TV, go to bowl games, win championships and get to the pro's in their respective sports. 

4 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

USCw, Penn State, Alabama, OU, Texas, tOSU, just to name a few of the old school traditional powers have never changed uniforms into "the flash" and have been doing fine in plenty of sports and not just football. If the program is strong then the uniforms don't matter. Kids want to be on TV, go to bowl games, win championships and get to the pro's in their respective sports. 

I think the point is they don't "have" to. When your not a blue blood and all of those schools are sans penn st you got to try and be different.

4 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I agree with what you are saying but we did that for 50 years and it got us no where in terms of championships.  We were the "blue collar" team but now as mentioned we go after a new breed and sell "fun and family".  Should the fan base adjust with that?

Or does everything flip once Saban leaves? I know everyone thinks that but I think Saban will choose his successor albeit a proven guy from somewhere and with all the talent the new coach will come in like a boss if can manage to keep the team together at that juncture however I think Saban might hang around the complex to ensure a transition 

6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Or does everything flip once Saban leaves? I know everyone thinks that but I think Saban will choose his successor albeit a proven guy from somewhere and with all the talent the new coach will come in like a boss if can manage to keep the team together at that juncture however I think Saban might hang around the complex to ensure a transition 

I think that the guy who follows Saban will have to live up to unrealistic expectations and will have a short lived tenure.  So I would expect that  coaching staff continuity at AU, we could be in great position to box bama out of places like Atlanta.

Lester twitter/facebook game is flawless! WOOOO!!!!! lol

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I agree with what you are saying but we did that for 50 years and it got us no where in terms of championships.  We were the "blue collar" team but now as mentioned we go after a new breed and sell "fun and family".  Should the fan base adjust with that?

Just thinking,  however,   those flashy Oregon uniforms did not looks so flashy when they were getting hammered most of the season...and of course the counter-argument is that if the flashy uniforms attracted good athletes,how did Oregon end up near the bottom of the Pac 12 ?    I tend to think it is something for the wannabe teams at the college level....for kid sports, it is all about the players....and it should be fun...

If the team wins 10 games and beat UGa and bama...nobody will care when they wear...but ya gotta win...

Lesters twitter game is on fire... but I still remember his litttle self dominating breaking about 4-5 tackles to ice the bammer game the year escapes me

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Lesters twitter game is on fire... but I still remember his litttle self dominating breaking about 4-5 tackles to ice the bammer game the year escapes me

was it 07? cox last game in jordan-hare?

3 minutes ago, AUTiger2012 said:

I think that the guy who follows Saban will have to live up to unrealistic expectations and will have a short lived tenure.

Seldom does work out for that guy

Archived