Recruiting is a Tough Reality for Prospects

ellitor

Why waiting to commit is the worst decision many prospects make

BY JAMES SMITH 

NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

The moment a prospect receives his first scholarship offer is priceless. The moment he waits too long to commit and the offer is rescinded is far too common.

The spring evaluation period is when many prospects will receive their first offers. The first offer makes the second more likely, then the third, and so on. This process is life-altering for prospects and families alike, as the thought of free college education and playing football in front of large crowds on television appeals to just about everyone.

As the offers rack up, so do the mistakes. The most common mistake is viewing an offer as a status symbol and not trying to sort through the process to reach an educated decision.

As quickly as those offers come, they will vanish. Schools have a limited number of available scholarships at each position, and when those spots are filled, they move on. They will not wait for you.

Some high school coaches like their kids to remain uncommitted in an attempt to lure more college coaches to its campus. Parents want their kids to do their homework on programs, but rarely understand the repercussions they could face by waiting too long.

The summer months generate the most commitments. Prospects and their families hit the road this time of year to attend camps and make unofficial visits to the programs they are interested in.

Some prospects hit the road to chase an elusive offer from a school they have aspirations playing for, while some misguided folks travel to camps just to earn an offer from a program, just so they can claim said offer, with no true intentions of attending the school. We refer to them as logo chasers.

The logo chasers will make endless mistakes, ultimately jeopardizing the future of the prospect. While they are looking for headlines and praise, other prospects are securing their spots, thus reducing the number of available scholarships for other athletes.

The process of receiving an offer is predictable. It almost always consists of a phone call to a high school coach, the kid, the parents, or even face to face during an unofficial visit. Unfortunately, the removal of a scholarship offer is often done without warning, without communication and a prospect may not find out until he tries to commit, only to be told he's too late.

If you wait too long, your top 10 list will consist of four, as the other six moved on long ago. At this point, schools are making the decision for you. When you sit down at the table with the hats laid out in front of you, just know a lot of those schools wouldn't take your commitment anyway -- and many of us know it.

"We may offer 100 kids in the spring, but those offers are only good for a limited amount of time for the vast majority of prospects," a Division I college head coach stated. "I tell kids all the time -- we only have so many spots and while we would love to have you in our program, I'm not putting my job on the line while I wait on you to stop playing games and handle this like the business decision it is."

Those words are echoed by every single college coach that addresses this topic. A coach's success is often determined by the players he is able to lure to his program. Running the risk of missing on good players or falling short of filling needs is something they are not willing to do.

In any given year, only a small handful of prospects have the luxury of waiting until National Signing Day to make their decision. One of Louisiana's top prospects, an All-American, decided to wait in the 2017 cycle, only to find out the two teams he wanted to commit to in January told him they couldn't take his commitment at that time, because they were not sure they would have the necessary room. And that is an All-American.

Regardless how good you think you are, there is someone out there that is either better or darn close.

If you find yourself making a top 12 list in June, you simply don't get it, and are likely to face some adversity in the near future. If you are doing anything other than trying to sort through the offers in order to make a decision, you run the risk of having no decision to make at all.

So quit reading the headlines. Quit looking at offers as a status symbol. Start getting to the end of this process -- and hurry.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus and the staff should make copies of this and hand out to every recruit,then maybe we could get some commitments from the top guy's on our board already.

I wonder how CGM or any other coach would feel if a recruit said: "ok, I will commit to you, but now you commit to me, by not recruiting another high caliber player at my position." E.G. us chasing JF badly, even though JG has been very loyal to us, even after the departure of CRL.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I wonder how CGM or any other coach would feel if a recruit said: "ok, I will commit to you, but now you commit to me, by not recruiting another high caliber player at my position." E.G. us chasing JF badly, even though JG has been very loyal to us, even after the departure of CRL.

With our QB depth issues, we have to and will take a 2nd QB regardless if that 2nd QB is Fields or not. With our QB depth situation now that would be a foolish demand to make.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

With our QB depth issues, we have to and will take a 2nd QB regardless if that 2nd QB is Fields or not. With our QB depth situation now that would be a foolish demand to make.

About as foolish as telling a kid they should commit as early as possible. Also, I said another High CALIBER player at their position.  Same reason Mond was supposedly irritable with the Aggies last year with their "interest" in Stidham. Commitment goes both ways. If someone is that much of a priority to you, then there will be room need be.

For instance, why would offensive talented play commit to AU, right now? To be fair that would be foolish. You have no idea what the offense will look like nor what the landscape of the coaching stability will be in several months. That is extremely foolish if I am being objective.  That is why I am not too worried about our class right now.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

About as foolish as telling a kid they should commit as early as possible. Also, I said another High CALIBER player at their position.  Same reason Mond was supposedly irritable with the Aggies last year with their "interest" in Stidham. Commitment goes both ways. If someone is that much of a priority to you, then there will be room need be.

Fair point on Mond. Coaches asking kids to commit when they get the offer isn't foolish though. Teams have limited spots to go around & likely a handful of guys they would take on a first come first serve basis at a number of positions. When that spot is taken the recruit is just SOL with that school. I would never pressure a kid but I'd let them know he is 1 of a group of guys I am looking at for a spot & can't guarantee that spot will be there later down the line.

Just now, ellitor said:

Fair point on Mond. Coaches asking kids to commit when they get the offer isn't foolish though. Teams have limited spots to go around & likely a handful of guys they would take on a first come first serve basis at a number of positions. When that spot is taken the recruit is just SOL with that school. I would never pressure a kid but I'd let them know he is 1 of a group of guys I am looking at for a spot & can't guarantee that spot will be there later down the line.

That is fair

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

For instance, why would offensive talented play commit to AU, right now? To be fair that would be foolish. You have no idea what the offense will look like

You do if you look at Chip's work at USM & ASU.

nor what the landscape of the coaching stability will be in several months.

True. If we can beat Clemson on the road though that should alliviate some of that barring a WTH loss to another team.

That is why I am not too worried about our class right now.

I am not going to worry because of the stability factor too. Some of the season has to play out first.

What bugs me the most is the worry that comes from other fans but I can't do a dang thing about it.

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Asking is one thing. I have no problem with that. In fact, they should ask. Telling them is another thing. "Like I seriously doubt, CGM is telling JF you need to commit right now or else the offer will be rescinded because we have a long line of suitors. That is just reality." JF would be like "umm, deuces." I am sure this would work with some lower scale recruits, but not the high prioritized ones UNLESS you are like BAMA or tOSU, who literally can handpick who they want. And I believe most recruits do understand that and grab those scholarship offers, However, the blue chips are going to wait because they absolutely can.

Not sure I agree with the article.  A kid should wait in my opinion until he knows where he wants to go to school what benefits him the most.

The stone cold truth about Auburn recruiting is this.  

We are not the Number 2 option for Atlanta anymore, for the Atlanta kids you have UGA, bammer, Clemson, USCe, FSU, UTk... all throwing their hats in the ring and we are just in that group now.  Used to be UGA then Auburn.  That's not case anymore.  

We are not the number 2 in Mobile anymore.  Bama then LSU/FSU/Auburn all there together.  

We are not the number 3 in Huntsville/Athens anymore.  You have Bama\UTk, Ole Miss then us probably.  

The point I'm trying to get at is there is no place we can call ours anymore.  Used to we could load up on Georgia and Alabama talent.  That's not the case sure we will get our share in state but bama has dominated the Top 10 prospects for a while and I don't mean by numbers I mean by who they want.  We could go into Georgia and almost split the top 20 with UGA most years pulling in major hauls of talent.  Now we still get Ga talent but it's a huge fight with multiple teams to get anyone there.  

My thoughts are you keep putting in work.  Win more games.  Enhance any advantage in infrastructure you can to make Auburn a "different" place.  Plus I think it's time Auburn extends its recruiting and I'm not talking going National because we would rarely pull anyone from California or Ohio but I think we need a stronger presence in East Texas to the Houston area, and up the east coast in South Carolina, NC, Maryland and Virginia.   That area is exploding with talent and we need to get our foot in there before South Carolina/UGA/UTk do and battle for some of those kids there.  

Yet somehow we are still reeling in Top 10 classes each year and truth be told I'm not sure we actually have Top 10 talent.  Appears over the past 8-10 years Auburn is benefited from the so called Bama Bump in recruit rankings.  We bring many subscribers to that industry so they want to keep us happy.  

War Eagle folks! 

7 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Not sure I agree with the article.  A kid should wait in my opinion until he knows where he wants to go to school what benefits him the most.

The stone cold truth about Auburn recruiting is this.  

We are not the Number 2 option for Atlanta anymore, for the Atlanta kids you have UGA, bammer, Clemson, USCe, FSU, UTk... all throwing their hats in the ring and we are just in that group now.  Used to be UGA then Auburn.  That's not case anymore.  

We are not the number 2 in Mobile anymore.  Bama then LSU/FSU/Auburn all there together.  

We are not the number 3 in Huntsville/Athens anymore.  You have Bama\UTk, Ole Miss then us probably.  

The point I'm trying to get at is there is no place we can call ours anymore.  Used to we could load up on Georgia and Alabama talent.  That's not the case sure we will get our share in state but bama has dominated the Top 10 prospects for a while and I don't mean by numbers I mean by who they want.  We could go into Georgia and almost split the top 20 with UGA most years pulling in major hauls of talent.  Now we still get Ga talent but it's a huge fight with multiple teams to get anyone there.  

My thoughts are you keep putting in work.  Win more games.  Enhance any advantage in infrastructure you can to make Auburn a "different" place.  Plus I think it's time Auburn extends its recruiting and I'm not talking going National because we would rarely pull anyone from California or Ohio but I think we need a stronger presence in East Texas to the Houston area, and up the east coast in South Carolina, NC, Maryland and Virginia.   That area is exploding with talent and we need to get our foot in there before South Carolina/UGA/UTk do and battle for some of those kids there.  

Yet somehow we are still reeling in Top 10 classes each year and truth be told I'm not sure we actually have Top 10 talent.  Appears over the past 8-10 years Auburn is benefited from the so called Bama Bump in recruit rankings.  We bring many subscribers to that industry so they want to keep us happy.  

War Eagle folks! 

good post coach

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

thx.  Minus all the typos.  was on my soap box a little there

With Clemson becoming more of a power is killing us in ga. 

9 minutes ago, corchjay said:

...I think we need a stronger presence in East Texas to the Houston area...

Yes! There is so much untapped talent here.  Sammie Coates type of small school talent that just gets overlooked by so many.  

Here is an older article (2013)

https://www.google.com/amp/www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/amp/Which-Texas-town-has-the-most-football-talent-4875883.php

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

With Clemson becoming more of a power is killing us in ga. 

Agreed and I don't remember FSU moving up as far as they have and being as successful in the Atlanta areas.  Bama's move to Atlanta a few years ago was a big blow to our hotbed as well.  They generally worked Alabama, the panhandle, mississippi and various other spots that kids showed interest in them.  But now wow they get who they want in alabama, florida, Louisiana, mississippi, and georgia.  poof... mind blown

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Yes! There is so much untapped talent here.  Sammie Coates type of small school talent that just gets overlooked by so many.  

Here is an older article (2013)

https://www.google.com/amp/www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/amp/Which-Texas-town-has-the-most-football-talent-4875883.php

Totally agree Bird.  I can't imagine being a coach at a school like South Alabama or even SMU trying to shuffle through all the major schools grabbing talent you identify but can't get because one of the big boys comes in and gets it.

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Agreed and I don't remember FSU moving up as far as they have and being as successful in the Atlanta areas.  Bama's move to Atlanta a few years ago was a big blow to our hotbed as well.  They generally worked Alabama, the panhandle, mississippi and various other spots that kids showed interest in them.  But now wow they get who they want in alabama, florida, Louisiana, mississippi, and georgia.  poof... mind blown

Until recently bammer seldom got a ga player. 

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Totally agree Bird.  I can't imagine being a coach at a school like South Alabama or even SMU trying to shuffle through all the major schools grabbing talent you identify but can't get because one of the big boys comes in and gets it.

Its just as frustrating for some of my friends at the smaller schools trying to get a player evaluated or even seen. Nothing is close in Texas and getting to some of the small schools is not a high priority for some college coaches.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Its just as frustrating for some of my friends at the smaller schools trying to get a player evaluated or even seen. Nothing is close in Texas and getting to some of the small schools is not a high priority for some college coaches.

It's sad for the tweener type players at small schools.  Trust me if they have the size and the athletic ability even at small schools they will get noticed.  Take for example Iggy this past year if he went to a 2A school in Alabama he doesn't get recruited by any SEC schools but since he played 7A he got seen and then recruited.

32 minutes ago, corchjay said:

They should definitely wait if they aren't ready but for a good number of them they need to be prepared for their favorite offers to not be there when they are ready.

34 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'm not sure we actually have Top 10 ta

I believe the talent is there. It's just like UGA most of the time, our coaches have not coached them up well overall since the Tubbs era. And then a good number of others had character issues and had to leave the program. For example the 2010 class was talented but full of on & off field disappointments.

13 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Until recently bammer seldom got a ga player. 

Just glanced down the bama roster and they have players from 24 (or maybe it was 25) states ......so it's obvious they will go anywhere to get a kid they want...often only having just one kid from a state....but I'm willing to bet he was highly regarded. 

Looks like Texas is their second largest hunting ground.

I agree with the premise of the article and I do expect that more kids get shafted by some preferred team than will admit it.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I believe the talent is there. It's just like UGA most of the time, our coaches have not coached them up well overall since the Tubbs era. And then a good number of others had character issues and had to leave the program. For example the 2010 class was talented but full of on & off field disappointments.

E I agree with your premise here.  Although not 100 percent agree.  I think the coaching is pretty good well above average at most position groups however I feel like this conversation about "getting our edge back" is a cultural problem with our players now.  I used to be able to walk away with an Auburn loss saying bet that team doesn't want another quarter of the hell we just witnessed.  I think they "physicality" has been missing since Tubbs days and as much of a Gus supporter that I am that's the one thing I wish he would adjust.  You can't practice scared one of your juniors or seniors are gonna get hurt.  At the end of the day the team that wins the 1 on 1 battles wins the games with exceptions to a turnover fest.  I'm all for college kids having fun bowling swimming basketball but when it comes time to practice it should be 1s on 1s at least twice a week at full speed in the offseason (spring, bowl, and fall camps) and at least once during the season.  Mixing in 2's to get depth built at times.  

Archived