In 2012 did you watch every game until the end?

gr82b4au

Guy in the office was talking about the "bad years" for his football team and how he could not even watch the games. It got me thinking about the only time in my lifetime where I did not watch Auburn even though I knew they were on TV.

You know the story... In 2012 we went 0-8 in the SEC and 3-9 overall with an OT win over Louisiana Monroe... that was the low point in all my years of watching Auburn. When we lost to Vandy, had Tam (63 points), Uga (38 pt shutout), and Uat (49 pt shutout) run it up on us... I will admit it... I watched every minute of every game up until halftime of the uga game, and then I did not even watch the second half of that game or the entire iron bowl. That is the only time in my life where I did not watch 1 second of the iron bowl. I just could not stomach it. 

I want to hear from you. Did any of you actually watched every second of every game? Did any of you actually stay to watch that live in person? I consider myself a big fan, but you are a true fanatic if you sat through that garbage. Luckily the family did not give up our season tickets (we thought about it) and the next year was incredible. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See, the term "fair weathered fan" can apply, but like certain other terms, it has lost pretty much all meaning. If I have better things to do than watch a terrible football team, then I'm sorry, but I ain't investing my time.

(Obviously, I didn't.)

Though, by the second half of that season (Vandy-ish) I really stopped caring and was more numb/laughing at it all/screaming for...changes (ones that still haven't been made). 2008, 2011, 2014 and 15 were honestly way more painful.

Watched every minute of every game. Attended every home game. Stayed to the final whistle for them all. Glutton for punishment.

8 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

2012, I raked a lot of leaves and did a lot yard work every second half on Saturday that year. Won yard of the month Sept., Oct., and Nov.

And your parents told you you would never amount to anything.

Guess I'm the opposite. If AU is playing on tv, I just have to watch, even if we are getting run. I try to study the game closely and figure out why we are getting blown out, and watch the plays being called, the effort being given by individual players, why the other teams players are beating us in certain areas, etc. The fact that Gus and Rhett didn't give up til the last play of the game last year against OU even though we had shown basically no offense for the whole game was encouraging to me. I hate it when anyone just lays down and dies for the other team.

I attended the Texas A&M game. I left at halftime. I drove 5 hours and paid $85 on tickets and still couldn't stand it. (Plus it was 40 degrees and sleeting.)

I only get to watch about 1/2 to 2/3 of Auburn games due to work anyway but even then sometimes life just happens even when I plan to watch. If it's a big game then I do my best to watch every minute and usually the arm of the sofa pays for every mistake on the field. I still use a radio or my CBS sports app to keep me updated. I'm never too far from the action. 

Went to the TAMU game with my folks. It was Military Appreciation day and my dad is retired USAF. Might've seen some moisture in the corner of his eye after the flyover. Felt pretty emotional myself.

When TAMU scored their 5th touchdown- in the 2nd quarter- I looked at my folks and did the nod-towards-the-door move. My folks silently nodded in agreement and we headed out. TAMU scored again before we made it out of the stadium.

Went to a movie instead of watching the Iron Bowl. Didn't even pause to consider the alternative.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Went to the TAMU game with my folks. It was Military Appreciation day and my dad is retired USAF. Might've seen some moisture in the corner of his eye after the flyover. Felt pretty emotional myself.

When TAMU scored their 5th touchdown- in the 2nd quarter- I looked at my folks and did the nod-towards-the-door move. My folks silently nodded in agreement and we headed out. TAMU scored again before we made it out of the stadium.

Went to a movie instead of watching the Iron Bowl. Didn't even pause to consider the alternative.

Understand completely. Kind of like watching your dog get put down. 

Sometimes things come up weddings, funerals etc.to keep me from watching, but if I'm watching the game I never ever turn it off because we are losing.If I quit then how can I complain about the team if they quit.Oh and I forgot if I'm at the game I would never leave before it is over,have seen this several times even when we are winning people.I'll never understand that.

I was at every home game and watched every away game on television.  I had to leave one game early due to being sick, but I lasted as long as I could.  I will stay for every game no matter what.  I want the team to know I am with them through thick and thin.  Same thing if OKC is getting hammered in a basketball game, as well as the Panthers.

To give you a point of reference, in 2009 before the West Virginia game started, it was delayed for 2 1/2 hours.  It really poured.  I stayed in my seat and did not move while the other fans went for cover.  Ruined a $500 pair of dress shoes (part of my pledge gear), but well worth it.  I remember belting out Sweet Caroline with the remaining fans when the song came on too.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Sometimes things come up weddings, funerals etc.to keep me from watching, but if I'm watching the game I never ever turn it off because we are losing.If I quit then how can I complain about the team if they quit.

You're not receiving a full ride to watch the game. 

I watched every play of every game. Some of us do that, some don't. If you can ignore the game and go rake leaves or whatever, that's fine for you. If Auburn is playing and I'm alive, I'll be there in person or watching on the TV.

I watch every game until the end.  That being said, now that I'm married, I sometimes have to take a few plays off to transition from the watch party to the house when she has had enough.

Well for instance, I couldn't watch some whole games last year because of Gus's ineptitude. It hurts even more when you know the team is capable of more but the coaches hold them back. I have watched til the end up until recently for bad games. Hopefully this season I can watch every game to the end.

I watched them all. Only game I ever left early was Texas, 1983 I think. I was so PO'ed that Dye laid that egg I couldn't stand it. 1985 at Tennessee was brutal also, but I stayed until the end. Dye was a great coach, but he seemed to lay an egg in some real pivotal football games. Cough cough 1987 LSU cough cough.

36 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Well for instance, I couldn't watch some whole games last year because of Gus's ineptitude. It hurts even more when you know the team is capable of more but the coaches hold them back. I have watched til the end up until recently for bad games. Hopefully this season I can watch every game to the end.

Hear Hear. If I can watch all of that Clemson game last year, I can watch anything. 

I have watched/attended every minute of every game through some pretty bad seasons. The only 2 seasons I can think of that I did not were 2008 and 2012. In those 2 cases the team quit. They lost their heart. And if I know ahead of time that I am gonna waste 3+ hrs of my Saturday doing something that I know is gonna make me mad and ruin the rest of my day. I would much rather play in the yard with my kids or do some charity work with my family.  

Yes I watched all of it.  The only exception being the UGA game. Had to go pick my son up at my brothers house. Instead of waiting till the game was over I drove the 25 minutes drive in the mid 3rd into the fourth Qtr. When I got there it was on tv but halfway paid any attention to it. Was appreciative of Richt, he could have scored 80 easy. Saban too.  I didn't actually drive wife did. I was intoxicated. 

i gave all my tickets away after walking out in the 3d qtr of the arkansas game. at that point, i had seen all i needed to see and didn't see a single play of the rest of the season.

I watched all of them. It's a tradition with my dad (we watch basically every game together) but I stopped getting mad. After a certain point you know what the team is all about. And then I would just laugh at how bad we were. I mean I can either get pissed or find the humor in it right? It wasn't a spiteful laughter, it was more in line with when you're in a film session with your team and you see one of your teammates do something that warrants to be made fun of. Like "dude how did you get trucked so bad there?" Type of thing.

If I was to get mad would have meant I was expecting the team and staff to miraculously pull it all together after showing that they didn't have the juice all year.

I tell you what though, I almost felt like we won when Tre Mason hit 1000 yards LOL that's how pathetic our team was.

Except for J. Wallace. He really gave it his all out when called upon which is all you can ask for. And unfortunately it seemed most of the team wasn't even giving their max effort.

Archived