1972 Auburn Amazin's

RunInRed

Picture Day with the 1972 Auburn Tigers. Also known as the Amazin's, this team overachieved to a 10-1 record after the media and opponents predicted very little. Auburn coach "Shug" Jordan said the '72 Auburn squad was his favorite after 25 years as head coach.

via PosingPlainsmen

The fight during the Georgia game was a thing of beauty. Under today's rules there wouldn't have been enough players left on either side of the the field to finish the game.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

The fight during the Georgia game was a thing of beauty. Under today's rules there wouldn't have been enough players left on either side of the the field to finish the game.

Langner wasn't to bright that day attempting to kick the uga player in the face on the uga sideline

As a kid I loved the football posed pictures. Looks strange now, but I still like it. Would like to see one game program of a current team done that way just for the heck of it.

4 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Still can't get through my head that this was 45 years ago. Damn.

How time flies,

huh?

My Soph year and I got to see every game, including the only loss at LSU when we sat right behind that stinking tiger.  I never knew they could blow piss 20 feet!  That and the sound of those blocked kicks in old Legion Field are two things I will never forget!

2 hours ago, Dshep4au said:

The second blocked punt seemed surreal. In the student section as a freshman. Remember like it was yesterday!

I was in the student section too.  I remember we were stomping on those old metal seats and making so much noise you couldn't hear anything.  Then just as the ball was snapped the noise let up and you could hear two thuds, the first when the ball hit Newton's hands and the second when it hit the AstroTurf, or as Shug used to call it the "Brillo Pad".  When he was asked about his criticism of the turf the next day he said "well the ball does bounce rather well on it".

A great collage of photos, but several of the players were only freshman in the fall of '72, played on the freshman team, but quit after their freshman season....also missing #51 Mike Flynn....

13 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

A great collage of photos, but several of the players were only freshman in the fall of '72, played on the freshman team, but quit after their freshman season....also missing #51 Mike Flynn....

Forgot Mike..... good LB from Miami, Columbus High, if I remember correctly

Mike Flynn (’70) – Football

On 6/23/2017 at 5:04 PM, augolf1716 said:

Brings back lots on memories knew most everyone on the team

You and me both. It may be my favorite team of all time not because they were the best team but because of how much they did with what they had.

On 6/23/2017 at 4:33 PM, augolf1716 said:

Langner wasn't to bright that day attempting to kick the uga player in the face on the uga sideline

Golf, after I had gotten out of the Marine Corps and went back to AU to finish what I had started years ago I had a computer class with Langner. I couldn't get over how small he was. No doubt he was a loner, didn't talk much with the other students in the class and kept to himself mostly but you could tell he was tough as nails. Strange dude.

47 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

Golf, after I had gotten out of the Marine Corps and went back to AU to finish what I had started years ago I had a computer class with Langner. I couldn't get over how small he was. No doubt he was a loner, didn't talk much with the other students in the class and kept to himself mostly but you could tell he was tough as nails. Strange dude.

You are correct

i remember auburn winning that game.most of the hood was bama fans and boy they got their due when us kids got through raising hell..............i still remember the pure joy.

Archived