Last AU Player Drafted?

GwillMac6

Watching last nights draft It got me thinking who is the last Auburn player drafted? Toney Douglas I believe was drafted in the second round but he only was here for 1 year so I do not count him. I think you may have to go all the way back to the early 2000's to Jamison Brewer. I know I was shocked when I looked up that our guy Marquis Daniels was not drafted! I could of sworn the mavs took him in the second round! Regardless he had a better career than most second round picks. Hope bruce changes our drought here lately!!!! IDK if I would know what to do if we had a first round pick in the coming years. So foreign to us! lol.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Watching last nights draft It got me thinking who is the last Auburn player drafted? Toney Douglas I believe was drafted in the second round but he only was here for 1 year so I do not count him. I think you may have to go all the way back to the early 2000's to Jamison Brewer. I know I was shocked when I looked up that our guy Marquis Daniels was not drafted! I could of sworn the mavs took him in the second round! Regardless he had a better career than most second round picks. Hope bruce changes our drought here lately!!!! IDK if I would know what to do if we had a first round pick in the coming years. So foreign to us! lol.

most people on this forum are probably not old enough to remember that last one.....:-\

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

most people on this forum are probably not old enough to remember that last one.....:-\

haha heck I am 27 and still barely remember watching him play. I remember thinking WUUUT? when he came out. Like I think it was a shock to everyone.

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yeah, the last player that is considered drafted out of AU was Jamison in '01. That's embarrassing and we gotta break that streak. I have no doubt Bruce will do that and soon. 

43 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Yeah, the last player that is considered drafted out of AU was Jamison in '01. That's embarrassing and we gotta break that streak. I have no doubt Bruce will do that and soon. 

Wiley could break that streak as early as next season.

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

We got a couple gonna break it soon me thinks. 

agreed. pearl is to good of a recruiter for it not to.

Way-too-early mock draft from CBS's Gary Parrish has Austin Wiley going in next year's late-first round to the Cavs (29th).

"Wiley was impressive in USA Basketball's U19 tryouts. If he continues to improve, he'll be a millionaire this time next year."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/way-too-early-2018-nba-mock-draft-celtics-take-mizzous-michael-porter-at-no-1/

8 SEC players in his first round projections.

i would expect Wiley and Mustapaha to both declare after this year. Especially if we see statistical improvements from both of them, which I'd also expect. 

I don't know about the last. The first was John Mengelt. He got a $900,000 signing bonus when that was considered huge money. Stuck in the NBA for nine years, most of that with the Bulls. His daughter was in school at Auburn the last I heard, which was a few years ago. He's a highly successful business executive in Chicago these days. Mengelt still hold records, as well as still being the most exciting Auburn player to watch, even after all these years.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't know about the last. The first was John Mengelt. He got a $900,000 signing bonus when that was considered huge money. Stuck in the NBA for nine years, most of that with the Bulls. His daughter was in school at Auburn the last I heard, which was a few years ago. He's a highly successful business executive in Chicago these days. Mengelt still hold records, as well as still being the most exciting Auburn player to watch, even after all these years.

just think what he and Pistol could have done with a three point line

56 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

YES!!! PISTOL PETE! my favorite player ever that I never actually saw play live! I watch his youtube clips all the time. I even was such a big fan of the pistol I went and watched his son play when he played for william and carey college in hatty,MS.

12 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I talked to Mengelt about this. He and I were among the many guests of the Athletic Dept. at the last game played in Beard-Eaves. He wasn't so sure about it, said the elevation was different and so forth. I think he was being modest. He hit plenty from the top of the key, another foot back couldn't have mattered that much.

Jamison brewer as one of the fastest players I've ever seen dribbling a ball going end to end. It was unreal. Marquis Daniels dunked on my roommate and he was mad at me because I didn't communicate with him as Daniels was my man but I took a hard pick and was knocked down. It was like a movie in slow motion as I saw Daniels go up and I was screaming noooooo lol

how the heck did Daniels go undrafted?? I would have lost a lot of money on that bet. He might be in the conversation as most successful undrafted players in NBA history

On 6/24/2017 at 4:01 PM, Charhair said:

Way-too-early mock draft from CBS's Gary Parrish has Austin Wiley going in next year's late-first round to the Cavs (29th).

"Wiley was impressive in USA Basketball's U19 tryouts. If he continues to improve, he'll be a millionaire this time next year."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/way-too-early-2018-nba-mock-draft-celtics-take-mizzous-michael-porter-at-no-1/

8 SEC players in his first round projections.

i would expect Wiley and Mustapaha to both declare after this year. Especially if we see statistical improvements from both of them, which I'd also expect. 

The fact that we might have two go in NBA draft next year shows what a job BP is doing on the recruiting trail but with that said it looks like KY will have 4 in the 1st rd next year. Still a big gap.

On 6/27/2017 at 5:03 PM, auburnphan said:

forgot about brewer...was amazed when Mamadou N'Daiye went in the first the year before that, 29 picks ahead of Porter 

Porter was a risk. Too many off the court issues. Plus quality bigs are hard to come by. 

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

And he was a SF/PF tweener at 6'7 with no true NBA level SF skills

Very true, his career probably panned out as it should. 

7 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Very true, his career probably panned out as it should. 

He could've stretched it out a little longer if he didn't do bone headed things like missing flights and whatnot though

5 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Was still playing in 2016

Yes, but not with the big boys. He's had a long career but I can't imagine he grew up dreaming of playing in leagues in Korea and New Zealand. He's playing ball for a living but literally no one cares. It's unfortunate because for me, he's probably the most exciting player AU has had I personally have gotten to see. 

Well ... he won't be in the hall of fame or a household name but ...

he has played a game - basketball  - for nearly 20 years, fed/clothed/housed himself with it and traveled the world.  

Sounds like a pretty decent deal to me.

On June 27, 2017 at 2:37 PM, tigerbrotha12 said:

Brewer went before Chris Porter so that's who I would think. Eh, I count Cam in FBall so I count Toney Douglas haha 

Porter and Brewer didn't get drafted in the same year. Porter was drafted in 2000 and Brewer in 2001. 

Archived