Best AU player ever besides the Heisman winners?

GwillMac6

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I'm assuming if the Heisman winners are off the table, then the greatness that is Wade Christopher is off the table as well. 

573408.jpeg

My favorite all time random non star AU player is Matt Clark!!! Dude was booming it through the end zones before the rule change moved up the kick! It never got old seeing all those touchbacks.

When I read the topic, the first name that came to mind was Tucker Frederickson. He was great both on offense and defense. 

Lawyer Tillman was always a big favorite of mine.

Tommie Agee comes to mind also.

Two guys who don't get mentioned a whole lot..........but were a couple of my favorites.

Just went through the thread.........can't believe Tracy Rocker hasn't been mentioned yet. Fairley was great, but couldn't carry Rocker's jock.

Rocker was the first name that popped in my head when I read the topic.

49 minutes ago, WarEagle10 said:

Just went through the thread.........can't believe Tracy Rocker hasn't been mentioned yet. Fairley was great, but couldn't carry Rocker's jock.

Did you forget to read the first post?

FWIW, here are Auburn players who received Heisman votes who did not win the award:

Tre Mason
Jason Campbell
Rudi Johnson
Brent Fullwood
Tucker Frederickson
Jimmy Sidle
Ed Dyas
Jimmy Phillips

14 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I'm assuming if the Heisman winners are off the table, then the greatness that is Wade Christopher is off the table as well. 

John Heisman was the first winner of the Wade Christopher trophy. Not sure many people know that. 

Love the topic. Lots of great names already mentioned. I'll take the opportunity to give a big, posthumous shout out to Quentin Groves. RIP, brother. 

@McLoofus I heard that the only collegiate athlete to ever win the Wade Christopher Award was Wade Christopher.   Cam Newton is the only other player to receive a vote. And the guy that voted from him has never been seen or heard from since. 

The 2004 team was my favorite AU team. The 4 first rounders from that team are obvious favorites, but also team captain Bret Eddins is one of my all-time favorites. A true AU man and great leader on and off the field. He was a huge part of that team's success!

1 minute ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

The 2004 team was my favorite AU team. The 4 first rounders from that team are obvious favorites, but also team captain Bret Eddins is one of my all-time favorites. A true AU man and great leader on and off the field. He was a huge part of that team's success!

p1_auburn_ap.jpg

8 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

p1_auburn_ap.jpg

We were just reliving that sack the other day, via the hype video from that year. 

Good gravy, what a loaded team that was. Every position group had a nominee for our best ever conversations, it seemed like. 

Terry Beasley or Tracy Rocker, can't decide.  I saw both of them change the outcome of games by their play.

Glad someone mentioned Rudi Johnson. If he doesn't have an explosive season worthy of putting him in this conversation then another player worthy of being in this convo in Cadillac ends up as a UT Volunteer. He would've looked terrible in that puke orange.

Tucker Fredrickson and it's not that close. We now have other, more contemporary "favorites" but the question wasn't favorite, it was best. Tucker finished 2nd in the Heisman voting. #1 overall pick in the NFL draft. Jacobs blocking award winner, I think for two seasons while clearing the way for Jimmy Sidle to become the nations 1st QB to rush for 1,000 yards. In the day of two-way players Fredrickson was also an all-SEC safety and led the conference in interceptions. Led NFL in all purpose yards one season, all-Pro and played in Pro Bowl. NFL career cut short after 6 years due to knee injury.

Here's more: http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/PMARSHONAU-Tucker-Frederickson-a-man-before-his-time-at-Auburn-31713392

Carlos Rogers was incredible- you hardly saw him though because teams were so afraid to throw against him- and when they did they usually regretted it. I say him because relatively, of the skill positions, corner back is probably the hardest position to play. Because you are reacting to what the offense already knows what they are going to do, and even if you do succeed in covering them, 50/50 balls are still just that.... 50/50..

On 6/26/2017 at 11:23 AM, McLoofus said:

We were just reliving that sack the other day, via the hype video from that year. 

Good gravy, what a loaded team that was. Every position group had a nominee for our best ever conversations, it seemed like. 

One of the hardest straight up hits on a quarterback I ever saw 

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Tucker Fredrickson and it's not that close. We now have other, more contemporary "favorites" but the question wasn't favorite, it was best. Tucker finished 2nd in the Heisman voting. #1 overall pick in the NFL draft. Jacobs blocking award winner, I think for two seasons while clearing the way for Jimmy Sidle to become the nations 1st QB to rush for 1,000 yards. In the day of two-way players Fredrickson was also an all-SEC safety and led the conference in interceptions. Led NFL in all purpose yards one season, all-Pro and played in Pro Bowl. NFL career cut short after 6 years due to knee injury.

Here's more: http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/PMARSHONAU-Tucker-Frederickson-a-man-before-his-time-at-Auburn-31713392

Not many players from that era that could actually suit up and play against today's modern, bigger, stronger, and faster athletes. Frederickson, and Beasley would definitely be two of the exceptions. Tucker Frederickson was a 21st century athlete, at least 40 years ahead of his time.

42 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Not many players from that era that could actually suit up and play against today's modern, bigger, stronger, and faster athletes. Frederickson, and Beasley would definitely be two of the exceptions. Tucker Frederickson was a 21st century athlete, at least 40 years ahead of his time.

6'2", 220 lbs in pre-season trim shape. He'd start at safety, RB or FB on this year's team. He could choose which of those positions he wanted and let others fight over the spots he left open.

On 6/24/2017 at 5:07 PM, Tiger said:

The original one man show - Dameyune Craig. He would've won the Heisman in this offense

100% agree. 

5 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Carlos Rogers was incredible- you hardly saw him though because teams were so afraid to throw against him- and when they did they usually regretted it. I say him because relatively, of the skill positions, corner back is probably the hardest position to play. Because you are reacting to what the offense already knows what they are going to do, and even if you do succeed in covering them, 50/50 balls are still just that.... 50/50..

While I don't agree that he was the best player in AU history sans the Heisman winners, Carlos has to definitely be in the top ten. One thing that he never gets enough credit for was his ability to stop the run. He was a sweep killer on his side of the field. 

Ace Atkins....cause he had the best sports illustrated cover photo.:wareagle:

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:47 PM, api1957 said:

Aundray Bruce should be high on the list but Tucker is the only real choice.

Loved Aundray Bruce's game back in the day.

Archived